Can I cancel my free score report? (HELP! Exam's in few hrs)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
caxton

Can I cancel my free score report? (HELP! Exam's in few hrs)

Post by caxton » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:13 pm

So I just found this board, great community all round. Please help if you can, I have checked ETS board and no info.

I didn't prepare well enough for my GRE Math Subject Test, it's holding in a few hours and I am tempted to just cancel the test after I am done, and try again in April. But my curiosity makes me want to see how well I will do despite my terrible preparation.

Here's my problem: there are some schools I listed on my free report which I can still apply to for fall 2014 without using this Math subject test, but if they get to receive a bad subject test score that will hurt my chances. So I am wondering if it will be possible to cancel the free score reports: i.e. I want to see my scores but I don't want them sent to the schools listed on my free report.

Is there a way to do this? Does anyone know? Thanks a lot.

Background: I am an Electrical Engineering graduate, now applying for Applied and Computational Mathematics / Computational Mathematics and Engineering. I wrote the GRE general test some years ago and scored M:800, V:590, A:4.5. A friend recently advised me to take the GRE subject test and I registered for it just in time for the deadline (about 4 weeks ago). I thought I could do it (foolish, yes I know) so I crash-studied (in between my day-job schedules) yet I doubt I'm even 50% ready now. Make that 40%. The exam, as I said, holds in a few hours.

mathfreak

Re: Can I cancel my free score report? (HELP! Exam's in few hrs)

Post by mathfreak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:00 am

I think I'm very late in replying but this is what you should have done. You should've e-mailed ETS and ask them to not send your score to any score. I changed my four free score receipients just one week before the exam by e-mailing them. May be you can e-mail them now also and see what they reply.

caxton

Post by caxton » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 am

mathfreak wrote:I think I'm very late in replying but this is what you should have done. You should've e-mailed ETS and ask them to not send your score to any score. I changed my four free score receipients just one week before the exam by e-mailing them. May be you can e-mail them now also and see what they reply.
Thank you! Yes I heard it is possible up until the Friday of the week preceding the test (at which time I was still thinking I could wing it).

I will send the email to ETS right away and ask for my scores not to be sent.

P.S. Thanks for replying. The test wasn't horrible after all, though it was still bad, I'd think. I answered 28 questions out of 66, of which I am 100% certain of like 26 of them.

caxton

Post by caxton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 pm

After a series of emails back and forth with ETS I am informed that it is not possible to cancel the free score recipients.

Bummer. I shouldn't have filled in for any school on the form in the first case.

Sigh.

caxton

Post by caxton » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:48 pm

caxton wrote:
mathfreak wrote:I think I'm very late in replying but this is what you should have done. You should've e-mailed ETS and ask them to not send your score to any score. I changed my four free score receipients just one week before the exam by e-mailing them. May be you can e-mail them now also and see what they reply.
Thank you! Yes I heard it is possible up until the Friday of the week preceding the test (at which time I was still thinking I could wing it).

I will send the email to ETS right away and ask for my scores not to be sent.

P.S. Thanks for replying. The test wasn't horrible after all, though it was still bad, I'd think. I answered 28 questions out of 66, of which I am 100% certain of like 26 of them.
- Answered only 28 questions out of 66.
- 100% certain of about 26 of them.
- Scored 540

:cry: