Please help to evaluate my profile

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
whx_epic

Please help to evaluate my profile

Post by whx_epic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:52 am

Undergraduate Institution : Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (not famous for math)
Major: Mathematics-Pure
GPA: 4.91/5
GRE: V:160(83%) Q:167(97%) W:4.0(49%), MATH: 870(92%)
TOEFL: will take it next week
Research Experience: 3 Summer Research with no result, 1 paper accepted into a combinatoric conference, 2 other papers is still in progress.
Other Awards: Dean's List for 4 years, silver medal from indonesia national olympiad, get into training camp for indonesian team (does this counted as achievements), 2 times Second Prize and 1 time First Prize from International Mathematics Competition.
Pure Math Courses Taken: Lie Algebra, Differential Geometry, Algebraic Topology, Representation Theory, Analytic Number Theory, and some Ramsey Theory.
I will ask reference letters from the faculty members of my undergrad school. Two of them are my co-authors, and the other one is a lecturer who have overseen me in a lot of advanced courses and have amicable relationship with me.
I plan to study for Pure Mathematics in US, Canada or UK. For now, I plan to apply to top schools such as MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Oxbridge etc (though with no big hope), and some other schools such as UCLA, Berkeley, Cornell, and Toronto. Do you think I will have any chance to get into any of those schools with this application?
I also have some doubt regarding my GRE general scores. Some people says that it is really important to get a high scores and some insist that they are not so important. Do you think it will strengthen my application by a lot if I take the GRE general test again? Any suggestion to strengthen my application will be greatly welcomed.

Thank you very much in advance.

mathfreak

Re: Please help to evaluate my profile

Post by mathfreak » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:48 am

I can't tell you about your chances but your GRE scores are more than good, so you won't gain anything from retaking them.

In your case, the determining factor will be the quality of your LORs.

whx_epic

Re: Please help to evaluate my profile

Post by whx_epic » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:39 pm

mathfreak wrote:I can't tell you about your chances but your GRE scores are more than good, so you won't gain anything from retaking them.

In your case, the determining factor will be the quality of your LORs.
Thanks for the reply!!