Yet Another Profile Evaluation.

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Hermitian

Yet Another Profile Evaluation.

Post by Hermitian » Sat May 18, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for reading this :) Here is my profile. I appreciate any comments on it. Which US universities would be beyond my reach? Which wouldn't? I have listed all courses taken during my studies. I have no clue whether my courses are good enough. It would be nice if you wrote your courses.

Udergad Institution: unknown European University. According to various world rankings it's in the 1000th place or such.
Major: Applied Mathematics.
GPA: 3.9
Type of student: International

GRE: haven't taken yet
TOEFL: haven't taken yet

Program Applying: Applied Mathematics

Research Experience: 2 summer REU's. One in numerical analysis of stochastic ode's, another in numerical analysis of dynamical systems. No publications.

All courses (6 ECTS meaning 3 US credits, unless otherwise noted):Mathematical Analysis 1,2,3 (It's not the same as calculus, I guess), Geometry, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics 1,Discrete Mathematics 2, Graph Theory, Mathematical Logics, Differential Equations, Complex Analysis (1.5 US credits), Probability Theory,Optimization Methods, Functional Analysis, Discrete Transforms, Mathematical Models of Systems, Data Analysis, Algebraic Structures, Fundamentals of Programming, Object Oriented Programming, Mathematics Software, Databases, Computer Graphics, Mathematical Methods for Processing of Digital Images, Mathematical Methods of Signal Analysis, Philosophy, Physics 1, Physics 2
Courses taken during an exchange program in Sweden (all 7.5 ECTS=3.75 US credits): Stationary Stochastic Processes, Numerical Linear Algebra, Numerical Methods for Differential Equations (graduate course), Mathematical Foundations of Probability (graduate course).
Other graduate courses (6 ECTS=3 US credits): Matrix Analysis, Stochastic Extreme and Sums, Algebraic Analysis of Linear Operators.
Some courses are not worth mentioning. Also, I haven't taken statistics.

Recommnedations are from professors who aren't well known abroad.

Thanks again :)

Hermitian

Re: Yet Another Profile Evaluation.

Post by Hermitian » Sun May 19, 2013 11:06 am

Any comments?

jaeliseo

Post by jaeliseo » Wed May 29, 2013 3:34 pm

It largely depends on whether you want pure or applied math. It is generally well established that applied math phd programs are much easier to get into. Another disadvantage is the fact that you come from an unknown foreign school. Another general rule is that foreign students are held to a higher standard for U.S. phd programs. With all that said, you have taken many courses, although it is unclear what level they are. I am suspecting that none of them are graduate courses.

If you score 70%+ on the math GRE, and have reasonable TOEFL scores, I would say apply to schools in the 50-70 range in pure math, higher for applied. Unless there is some HUGE part of your credentials that you haven't mentioned, I just can't see you getting into a school much higher ranked than that.

Hermitian

Post by Hermitian » Thu May 30, 2013 7:43 am

jaeliseo wrote:It largely depends on whether you want pure or applied math. It is generally well established that applied math phd programs are much easier to get into. Another disadvantage is the fact that you come from an unknown foreign school. Another general rule is that foreign students are held to a higher standard for U.S. phd programs. With all that said, you have taken many courses, although it is unclear what level they are. I am suspecting that none of them are graduate courses.

If you score 70%+ on the math GRE, and have reasonable TOEFL scores, I would say apply to schools in the 50-70 range in pure math, higher for applied. Unless there is some HUGE part of your credentials that you haven't mentioned, I just can't see you getting into a school much higher ranked than that.
Thank you! I am applying to applied mathematics. Okay, I've heard that it's more difficult to get a place as a foreigner. But really, why "Mathematical foundations of probability", "Algebraic Analysis of Linear Operators", "Numerical Methods for Differential Equations" and "Stochastic Extreme and Sums" couldn't be considered as graduate level courses? Does your departament offer such courses for undergraduates? I took some of these courses during the semeter in Sweden at the well respected university. There they were graduate level courses.

Does anyone else have something to add?

fourierfanatic

Post by fourierfanatic » Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm

jaeliseo wrote:It largely depends on whether you want pure or applied math. It is generally well established that applied math phd programs are much easier to get into. Another disadvantage is the fact that you come from an unknown foreign school. Another general rule is that foreign students are held to a higher standard for U.S. phd programs. With all that said, you have taken many courses, although it is unclear what level they are. I am suspecting that none of them are graduate courses.

Hi jaeliseo,

As a foreigner myself, I'm not exactly familiar with the ranges of schools in the states. What does the 50-70 range mean exactly?