Regarding to GRE Mathematics Subject Test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mahiwith1988

Regarding to GRE Mathematics Subject Test

Post by mahiwith1988 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 am

I did my GRE Mathematics Subject test for the first time this April 20th and it was really hard for me.I'm looking to take the exam again if my scores are not high.Can anybody tell me that what is the best way to start for the exam.I think I need to study Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra thoroughly.

redcar777

Re: Regarding to GRE Mathematics Subject Test

Post by redcar777 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 pm

I recommend to start with the FAQ here (http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=234). Many universities have prep sites, UCLA's is pretty good and includes all of the historically released test (http://www.math.ucla.edu/~cmarshak/GREWorkshop.html).

I took the GRE a number of years ago. More recently I took the practice tests, and I also took Saturday's exam. In my opinion, the difficulty of the test has increased over time. I have a couple of theories:

1) Universities have demanded more differentiation at the upper end of the scale. It used to be the top score on the GRE was 80%, so there was no way to distinguish the top fifth of candidates who took the test.

2) higher quality, better prepared students are taking the test, especially from outside of the united states. The competition for US grad slots is international and very fierce. So the curve on the test has shifted over time toward more difficulty.

3) More students are familiar with the basic material . So rather than instantly being able to "see" the answer if you know the relevant theorem, the question is written in a more round about way. You have to do more manipulations or make two connections. Since its a timed test, every second counts, even if you know the basic material well. I ended up with a lot more blank questions than when I took the practice tests, and I chalk this up to the length of the questions.

I'm curious what other people think about the difficulty of the test...

mahiwith1988

Post by mahiwith1988 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 pm

What I'm telling is exactly the same. I could do more than 60 problems in the practice test and it was really easy when it compares with the actual test. Since this was my first time, I really don't know about the past exams. Some questions you need to work out rapidly and sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes.

ermiaazarkhalili

Post by ermiaazarkhalili » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:33 am

Hi Guys,

Regarding your discussion, I should let you know that it was very wild and hard :? ...
I can not believe it was even a little bit the same as former ones!!! It was too hard and some materials were related to university level courses such as topology and abstract algebra. I took it once before but that was so easy...

I do not know any ideas why they make it very hard... and have no idea what we should do?

Any advice is appreciated....