Sending Rejection Emails to Schools

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jdesilva

Sending Rejection Emails to Schools

Post by jdesilva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 am

How did you send emails to schools letting them know you will be attending a different program? (or how will you word it) I visited a few of the schools as well, so these break-ups are really hard. But I think it's for the best...

ApplMathProfile

Re: Sending Rejection Emails to Schools

Post by ApplMathProfile » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 am

Edited
Last edited by ApplMathProfile on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNT

Post by PNT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 am

Just get it over and done with like a bandaid. The worst is when you have been in contact with a potential supervisor at the school and they have taken the time to tell you about the school and answer your questions :(

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:46 am

PNT wrote:Just get it over and done with like a bandaid. The worst is when you have been in contact with a potential supervisor at the school and they have taken the time to tell you about the school and answer your questions :(
I agree with this. There is no point in waiting till April 15th to send the emails if you have already made your decision. Moreover, your informing the school earlier will help both the school and other applicants on the wait-list.

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

It can help to realize that they are EXPECTING people to take other offers, even if they flew you out to visit. This happens every year, and unless they think you're the next [insert favorite mathematicians name here], it's not going to be too big of a let down for them. They've seen your profile, and they'll have a good idea what other types of institutions you've gotten into. Heck, you might've even shared that information with them when you were visiting. Just be polite and thank them for the opportunity.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 am

I would say something like:

Dear Professor X:

I would like to start by thanking you for the offer made to me. I can assure you that I gave it a serious consideration.
I have received other offers also, and unfortunately I will not be able to accept yours.
Again, I would like to thank the admissions committee for the opportunity, and the faculty with whom I talked for their precious time.

Sincerely,
Student Y.

In my opinion, while these rejection emails should be hard to send I really think that they would only resent it if you send it on April 15. When I got my informal acceptance at U of A they told me that it would be of "extreme help to them and the people on their wait list" if I decide on their offer as soon as possible. I know how it feels to be wait listed so if you are sure you are not going to a certain school it would be best to send the rejection email sooner than later :P .
Take your time deciding if you are not sure though.

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:24 pm

AAAAAND there goes one bandaid. Ouch, pressing the send button hurt quite a bit. Thanks Marco for the template, I used quite a bit of it actually!! Here's one I sent:

I would like to start by thanking you for the offer made to me and I can assure you that I gave it a serious consideration. I have decided that although this program is among the strongest, it isn't quite the right fit for me. After sitting in on classes with a small number of students, I decided that I would work better in a bigger program. Again, I would like to thank the admissions committee for the opportunity, and the faculty with whom I talked for their precious time. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you again.

I wasn't sure whether or not to tell them which institution I chose, but I figured giving them a reason was the least I could do.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:51 pm

You should not be explaining your decision because you might end up "insulting" them.

The best is to thank them for the offer/opportunity but you have decided to take up another offer that best suit your needs, and leave it at that.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm

jdesilva wrote:AAAAAND there goes one bandaid. Ouch, pressing the send button hurt quite a bit. Thanks Marco for the template, I used quite a bit of it actually!! Here's one I sent:

I would like to start by thanking you for the offer made to me and I can assure you that I gave it a serious consideration. I have decided that although this program is among the strongest, it isn't quite the right fit for me. After sitting in on classes with a small number of students, I decided that I would work better in a bigger program. Again, I would like to thank the admissions committee for the opportunity, and the faculty with whom I talked for their precious time. Let me know if you have any questions and thank you again.

I wasn't sure whether or not to tell them which institution I chose, but I figured giving them a reason was the least I could do.
Your welcome. I think your rejection email was fine. Congrats on your offers!

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Just to add: that template up there is great, and if you think you're unlikely to go to Purdue, you should send that email to them so people on the waitlist like me have a chance. Think of me and it will be less painful. :D

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 pm

rmg512 wrote:Just to add: that template up there is great, and if you think you're unlikely to go to Purdue, you should send that email to them so people on the waitlist like me have a chance. Think of me and it will be less painful. :D
Ditto for University of Minnesota, University of Maryland-AMSC, Duke University and New York University :P !

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Legendre wrote:You should not be explaining your decision because you might end up "insulting" them.

The best is to thank them for the offer/opportunity but you have decided to take up another offer that best suit your needs, and leave it at that.
Ah, I see your point. I guess since the first time I rejected an offer they emailed back asking where I was going and why I didn't choose them, so I figured schools wanted that data for future reference.