Duke news

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dangxing

Duke news

Post by dangxing » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 pm

So in the recruiting weekend, there are 16 American students coming, half pure math and half applied math. I guess I already lose my chance. Feel so sad, my dream school.... Good luck others..

Legendre

Re: Duke news

Post by Legendre » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 am

dangxing wrote:So in the recruiting weekend, there are 16 American students coming, half pure math and half applied math. I guess I already lose my chance. Feel so sad, my dream school.... Good luck others..
All Americans?! Maybe they don't have the budget to fly international students in? I'm applying there too and have not received any news.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

It bothers me how Duke has been incredibly silent this entire application process. They could at least have tell us "hey, you didn't make the first round, but stay tuned for the second round!" I'm so grateful I have other places to go, because if all of the schools were like this I'd prob have a heart attack

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 am

Legendre wrote:
dangxing wrote:So in the recruiting weekend, there are 16 American students coming, half pure math and half applied math. I guess I already lose my chance. Feel so sad, my dream school.... Good luck others..
All Americans?! Maybe they don't have the budget to fly international students in? I'm applying there too and have not received any news.
All Americans. No international. But they said they will admit less international students this year

marco

Post by marco » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 am

I was kind of hoping on receiving something from Duke. You would think they would tell you an important piece of information
like that they will be accepting less international students than before. But no. Good luck guys!

alt168

Post by alt168 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 am

Hey guys. I just came back from the Duke open house, so I can maybe answer a couple of your concerns.

-There were only Americans at the open house, yes. The department only had funding to transport people from the continental US. I don't know how many internationals have been admitted.
-Duke doesn't separate pure and applied math when it comes to applications, or anything really. There are some people who are more one than the other, though it's pretty intertwined in every facet.
-Duke is taking more domestic than international students this year because four fifths of the entering class (specfically, 8 out of 10) this year are international.
-Of the prospectives admitted, one has already accepted. There are a few others who seem very likely to accept and join the biomath/data groups.
-The grad school administration is keeping them from making any firm responses with regards to admissions statuses

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:54 am

marco wrote:I was kind of hoping on receiving something from Duke. You would think they would tell you an important piece of information
like that they will be accepting less international students than before. But no. Good luck guys!
I have a schoolmate pursuing math PH.D over there and he heard from the committee.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 am

alt168 wrote:Hey guys. I just came back from the Duke open house, so I can maybe answer a couple of your concerns.

-There were only Americans at the open house, yes. The department only had funding to transport people from the continental US. I don't know how many internationals have been admitted.
-Duke doesn't separate pure and applied math when it comes to applications, or anything really. There are some people who are more one than the other, though it's pretty intertwined in every facet.
-Duke is taking more domestic than international students this year because four fifths of the entering class (specfically, 8 out of 10) this year are international.
-Of the prospectives admitted, one has already accepted. There are a few others who seem very likely to accept and join the biomath/data groups.
-The grad school administration is keeping them from making any firm responses with regards to admissions statuses
Thank for sharing! Can you anticipate the duke will admit more people or not? Thx

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:46 pm

alt168 wrote:Hey guys. I just came back from the Duke open house, so I can maybe answer a couple of your concerns.

Thanks for the info. Any idea when they are sending out their rejections and whether they have an official waiting list ?
Also, since last year's entering class has 10 students and you mention 16 domestic-only students on the visit day this year, does this mean the schools is expanding their entering class or that they know that the number of those accepting the offer will be around 10 (domestic + international) ? because in the latter case this means they already made up their minds and sent out their decisions and everyone who hasn't heard yet is rejected :(

alt168

Post by alt168 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Traditionally schools admit more than they believe will accept. They have in the past averaged about 10 students per class.

Can't speak on waiting list stuff, but thegradcafe has good data on years past.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm

alt168 wrote:Traditionally schools admit more than they believe will accept. They have in the past averaged about 10 students per class.

I think schools either admit a larger class than the number they accept (expecting some to decline) or they admit the right number and make a waitlist to replace those who decline. From what it seems, Duke went for option A! What bugs me more than the rejection itself is them sitting on it without informing us! Anyhow, thanks, congrats on the admit and good luck!

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm

math_applicant wrote:
alt168 wrote:Traditionally schools admit more than they believe will accept. They have in the past averaged about 10 students per class.

I think schools either admit a larger class than the number they accept (expecting some to decline) or they admit the right number and make a waitlist to replace those who decline. From what it seems, Duke went for option A! What bugs me more than the rejection itself is them sitting on it without informing us! Anyhow, thanks, congrats on the admit and good luck!
I ask a duke math PH.D. He told me that in the past years, there are half of students in the open house will decline. Hence it's still about 10 persons.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm

anyone emailed duke recently ? I already emailed the director once 3 weeks ago and received a generic response 2 weeks ago so I am not sure if emailing them one more time is appropriate. The thing is I need to respond to one school before April 1st and I need to know whether it is worth the wait beyond that or not!! I just need to know whether I am already rejected or else know when I will receive a definite response.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:24 pm

math_applicant wrote:anyone emailed duke recently ? I already emailed the director once 3 weeks ago and received a generic response 2 weeks ago so I am not sure if emailing them one more time is appropriate. The thing is I need to respond to one school before April 1st and I need to know whether it is worth the wait beyond that or not!! I just need to know whether I am already rejected or else know when I will receive a definite response.
I have the similar situation with you, and I emailed both math department and director recently, but none of them replied. I call the math department today and tell them to leave a note to director.

colldood

Post by colldood » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

I don't get it, what motivation does Duke have to admit fewer internationals? They're a private school, so doesn't every student cost them the same amount?

By the way I have an offer from them that I will almost certainly turn down within the next week, in case that makes anyone feel better.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 pm

i emailed them a number of times asking for an update but have never gotten a reply. i haven't gotten in anywhere else yet though. only rejections...

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 pm

broken_symlink wrote:i emailed them a number of times asking for an update but have never gotten a reply. i haven't gotten in anywhere else yet though. only rejections...
They didn't reply me either. I think they won't admit any more people.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Can I ask are they request you to decide before 4.15?

alt168

Post by alt168 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm

dangxing wrote:

Can I ask are they request you to decide before 4.15?
They're part of the Grad School Council, so, no, they cannot.

They are, of course, requesting that we let them know ASAP as to our decision. Personally, I won't be able to make mine until a week before the deadline because my last open house isn't until then, but I'm sure others might have decided before then.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 pm

officially rejected today.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Sorry, but may I ask if the rejection was by inquiry to application status or by an official email?
You could PM me if you like. I'm sorry to hear this by the way.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

broken_symlink wrote:officially rejected today.

Me too. Sorry. But can you tell me how you receive the decision?

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am

I'm also interested to hear how people are being rejected. Was it upon inquiry, or was it an email to check the website status? I haven't heard anything about my status.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:40 pm

email saying decision was available online.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 pm

down to 3 schools left to hear from. i applied to 8, have been rejected from 5 so far.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 pm

broken_symlink wrote:down to 3 schools left to hear from. i applied to 8, have been rejected from 5 so far.
I am so sorry. There is still hope I am sure!

marco

Post by marco » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:53 am

broken_symlink wrote:down to 3 schools left to hear from. i applied to 8, have been rejected from 5 so far.
Sorry to hear this. Good luck!

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 am

Don't lose faith man!

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:00 am

sucks to be us.

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:49 pm

I spy a rejection on GC. Could this mean 'tis time for final decisions?

still my first choice, but im happy cuz i got into my second and would be content there.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:57 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:I spy a rejection on GC. Could this mean 'tis time for final decisions?

still my first choice, but im happy cuz i got into my second and would be content there.
the rejection is mine!

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 pm

sorry bro. still nothing for me.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:13 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:sorry bro. still nothing for me.
Me, too. Duke is also my first choice. I don't know what are duke waiting for

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:18 pm

They are only accepting two international?! That is not good to hear, it seems Duke is cherry picking their rejections as they did their acceptances. I have received nothing.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:25 pm

no worries, the news you guys brought about them accepting less international students this year added to the fact they only admit 10 total for pure and applied and then not hearing in the first round just settled it for me. Had I known such figures earlier, I wouldn't have applied, the only thing I regret is the app fee and the effort wasted to learn about the program but that's about it! the only rejection that i received and not felt bad about actually.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Heard back from Duke today: waitlisted. I withdrew my application because I've already committed to my dream program. Best of luck to the rest of you!

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:26 pm

tikalora wrote:Heard back from Duke today: waitlisted. I withdrew my application because I've already committed to my dream program. Best of luck to the rest of you!
How did you heard? Damn it, I haven't heard back anything. They really take it forever!

marco

Post by marco » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey tikalora congrats on your acceptance at your dream school. did you get you an official email by Duke saying you are wait listed?

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 pm

I received an email telling me to check the website. The website took me to a form letter which indicated that I was on an "alternative list"

marco

Post by marco » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I spy another rejection from Duke, international this time. Is it now final decision time? Could it be? Has hell frozen over :P ? LOL.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 pm

marco wrote:I spy another rejection from Duke, international this time. Is it now final decision time? Could it be? Has hell frozen over :P ? LOL.
I haven't received the decision yet. Wonder why

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:57 am

It looks like they are just making a few decisions a day. I submitted my app at the very last minute so i'm sure i will be last.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 pm

It would kind of suck for them to be making rejections in order of submission of application date.

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

The only other order I could think of would be if they already gave everyone a score. But then we probably wouldn't see simultaneous rejections on GC. We're probably overgaming this thought--all we can really do is wait :(

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm

drive me crazy

someone_else

Post by someone_else » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 pm

I got waitlisted this morning via an e-mail to check the applicant website. Since I have already accepted a different offer, I removed myself from the waitlist.

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 pm

As I said, one a day

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah, and frankly I don't understand why. This sucks. Thanks someone_else for declining swiftly and telling us about it.

mikebellmath

Post by mikebellmath » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

marco wrote:It would kind of suck for them to be making rejections in order of submission of application date.
Hi guys,

I don't think they're accepting/rejecting people based on application submission date. I submitted my application very close to/on the deadline as well, and I was accepted to the program a few weeks ago after an interview.

If anyone else has been admitted and is planning to attend, feel free to contact me, I'd like to get to know more of the incoming class! Super excited!

Best of luck to everyone!!!

m_s

Post by m_s » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm

I was also waitlisted today after receiving an e-mail to check the website. I withdrew my application too.