duke applied math update

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dangxing

duke applied math update

Post by dangxing » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:09 pm

I email a graduate student in Duke. He told me this year they will accept less international student and the committee is almost done their works. But he didn't specify the pure or applied area. Anyway, if anyone gets news, please share

math_applicant

Re: duke applied math update

Post by math_applicant » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

did he mention when the committee is releasing their decisions ?

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

and by the way, thanks for the update!

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

math_applicant wrote:did he mention when the committee is releasing their decisions ?

No. But from what he told me, I sense couple of weeks ago

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

dangxing wrote:
math_applicant wrote:did he mention when the committee is releasing their decisions ?

I meant when they are going to make the second round of offers and send rejections. I emailed the graduate director a couple of weeks ago and he said my file is still being considered but no specifics on when they are making their decisions. Also, they just had their visitation day this weekend, so probably they are going to send out the rejections this week.

I am pure math by the way, but duke has the same department for pure and applied.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 pm

math_applicant wrote:
dangxing wrote:

I meant when they are going to make the second round of offers and send rejections. I emailed the graduate director a couple of weeks ago and he said my file is still being considered but no specifics on when they are making their decisions. Also, they just had their visitation day this weekend, so probably they are going to send out the rejections this week.

I am pure math by the way, but duke has the same department for pure and applied.
He didn't tell me. The director never reply me.... Also Duke has same department, but it seems like people who apply for applied math didn't get results according to here and gc. I don't know, maybe they only admit a little people.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:52 pm

true, applied math guys haven't heard yet. and yeah, duke has a relatively small department, the whole math phd program has only around 50 graduate students which means they admit about 10 people at most. hopefully we hear some positive response from them soon.