University of Kentucky decisions?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
RicciFlow

University of Kentucky decisions?

Post by RicciFlow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:11 am

Hi all,

I was looking over on grad cafe and saw that so far there have been two acceptances to Kentucky (have seen at least one of those on here I think) and one wait list. I have yet to hear anything from them at all. I am rather unnerved that someone is already wait listed but I have yet to be contacted by them. I am also going to be meeting the chair of the mathematics graduate program (Dr. Perry) in early April, so I have been tentative to rush the decision on my status by asking for an update. I know April seems rather late, but according to the history and comments on grad cafe this may not be an entirely hopeless scenario.

So, should I email them and ask??? Or should I bank a little hope on my professor introducing me to Dr. Perry in April? Also, if who ever got the wait list is on this forum, could you please share any other specifics the email might have had in it?
Thanks!

-RF

iAmAbelian

Re: University of Kentucky decisions?

Post by iAmAbelian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 am

I think that you're referring to my post. Perhaps I was a bit preemptive in saying that I was on the wait list. I called them and was told that I may receive a second round offer, nothing official though.

I also emailed Dr. Perry and he never responded. Sorry for unnerving you!! It sounds as though you and I are in similar situations. Best of luck!

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 pm

It seems so! Best of luck to you as well! Kind of interesting that we may be on some sort of pseudo-waitlist thing. Did they mention when they might make the second round of offers? I would presume sometime around April 14-15 or soon after that.
As odd as it sounds, I really hope they make decisions after the 14th and 15th since it will give me a chance to meet Dr. Perry at a conference with my professor. I need connections to make up for my terrible undergraduate GPA. :P
How else are your grad school prospects? Any acceptances?

-RF

iAmAbelian

Post by iAmAbelian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm

They really said nothing about when we could expect a second round offer. I would expect it would be after April 15th or maybe if someone rejects his/ her first round offer maybe sooner. I agree though that this wait list thing is quite odd and annoying.

Yeah I have a few acceptances and a couple of financial offers. I am really only considering one other program though( its a nicely funded masters program) in addition to UK. What's odd is that I would have better funding at the masters program than at UK, based off what i have heard from how things looked in the past, assuming I would have have a TA ship and not a fellowship. I just wish that they would hurry about about things! The wait is unbearable.

How about you? Any acceptances?

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 am

I see. It is rather odd, certainly. I would have expected at least an email to inform us that we are waitlisted. Oh well.

Congrats on your acceptances though! I'm not entirely sure that I would worry about just how much money is being offered in the standard TA-ship compared to the masters program you are considering. As far as I am aware (and I could be completely wrong) most TA-ships are going to be proportional to how much the cost of living is for the area. I have a friend whose TA-ship for a Cali school is up in the 22k range, but he soon realized why it was more than he expected; housing costs. If you don't mind my asking, where were you accepted for the masters?

As for me, well, I just got an email today informing me that I have been waitlisted for CU Boulder's pure math program. Unfortunately however, that is all the hope I have at the moment. I had one rejection (from Michigan naturally) and I haven't heard anything else yet.

Agreed! The wait is nerve wracking.

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Hey, so I just found out (via email from Dr. Perry to my professor) that they actually have fewer spots this year. Only 8 available positions, all of which have been filled. He also said nothing more would be decided on other applicants until after April 16th or so.

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:32 pm

RicciFlow wrote:Hey, so I just found out (via email from Dr. Perry to my professor) that they actually have fewer spots this year. Only 8 available positions, all of which have been filled. He also said nothing more would be decided on other applicants until after April 16th or so.
Thanks for posting this.

iAmAbelian

Post by iAmAbelian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

RicciFlow wrote:Hey, so I just found out (via email from Dr. Perry to my professor) that they actually have fewer spots this year. Only 8 available positions, all of which have been filled. He also said nothing more would be decided on other applicants until after April 16th or so.
Yeah sorry I forgot to check this post(I have been super busy). Anyhow, I finally got through Dr. Perry and was told essentially the same thing that you said. I have a strong profile, but fewer spots are available this year, no decisions until after April 15th , yada yada yada.

So I guess that the wait unfortunately continues!!!

Best of luck guys!

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 am

qbranch wrote:
Thanks for posting this.
No problem! :D It's nice to know things, haha.

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 am

iAmAbelian wrote:
Yeah sorry I forgot to check this post(I have been super busy). Anyhow, I finally got through Dr. Perry and was told essentially the same thing that you said. I have a strong profile, but fewer spots are available this year, no decisions until after April 15th , yada yada yada.

So I guess that the wait unfortunately continues!!!

Best of luck guys!
It's all good, I too became very busy, so I understand.

Good luck to you as well! And to everyone else!

iAmAbelian

Post by iAmAbelian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Anyone heard anything?

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I have yet to hear anything. I may soon contact Dr. Perry and ask what is going on. I meet with him last weekend personally and was told nothing would be known until after the 15th or 16th. How long after, he couldn't say.

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 am

I will be withdrawing my application sometime tonight (was accepted to Boulder with full package), so hopefully that will free up any room there might be for more potential offers. Good luck!