Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dangxing

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by dangxing » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:33 pm

We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return Ph.D. decisions by mid to late March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached.
[/quote]

r u apply for pure or applied math?[/quote]

Dangxing:

r u chink? :o[/quote]

To see the comments above, it seems like you are using offensive words. I am not sure why you ask that question

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm

I figured it out-the schools I haven't heard from must have been waiting for pi day to send me offers. cant wait til tomorrow #3.14

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:I figured it out-the schools I haven't heard from must have been waiting for pi day to send me offers. cant wait til tomorrow #3.14
I like this idea :wink:
By the way, if anyone has heard from any of the following schools, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly share with me/us (all are PhD programs in Applied Math, FA13):

1. Boston University
2. Stony Brook University
3. UMD AMSC
4. Notre Dame
5. Rice

6. Cornell (Waitlist situation)

Thanks a lot and best of luck to all of you!!!

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Pi123 wrote:Hi guys! I accepted today an offer from Courant pure math. Anyone else planning to attend there? I'm an international applicant.

Hi, I shall be attending Courant :-) I have sent them the Candidate Reply Form via postal mail... it should reach them by tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Which country are you from? I'm from India.

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm

cooltrainer wrote:
wickerfurniture wrote:I figured it out-the schools I haven't heard from must have been waiting for pi day to send me offers. cant wait til tomorrow #3.14
By the way, if anyone has heard from any of the following schools, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly share with me/us (all are PhD programs in Applied Math, FA13):

1. Boston University
3. UMD AMSC
4. Notre Dame
5. Rice

Did you get an offer from AMSC?

nchar

Post by nchar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 am

I emailed amsc and they said that my application is still under review and decision will be made by first week of April...
cooltrainer wrote:

1. Boston University
3. UMD AMSC
4. Notre Dame
5. Rice

Pi123

Post by Pi123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 am

Eowyn wrote:
Pi123 wrote:Hi guys! I accepted today an offer from Courant pure math. Anyone else planning to attend there? I'm an international applicant.

Hi, I shall be attending Courant :-) I have sent them the Candidate Reply Form via postal mail... it should reach them by tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Which country are you from? I'm from India.
Nice! I sent you a private message :)

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 am

Happy pi day everyone :D

avisottda

Post by avisottda » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 am

Is it true that a lot of Math PhD schools intend to send decision emails on Pi day?

Pi123

Post by Pi123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 am

avisottda wrote:Is it true that a lot of Math PhD schools intend to send decision emails on Pi day?
Why would it be? :P Looking at last years GC the pi day was like any other day. Or maybe even more quite than the average.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 am

cooltrainer wrote:By the way, if anyone has heard from any of the following schools, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly share with me/us (all are PhD programs in Applied Math, FA13):

1. Boston University
3. UMD AMSC
4. Notre Dame
5. Rice

I am thoroughly confused by the way UMD AMSC is handling applications. There is a post on GC that said (s)he was rejected upon an inquiry. Just two days before that I sent an inquiry and was told that I would be informed by first week April. I had not got the further questions email. Does that mean that I am still in consideration? Will they send the further questions email now to a few people? From what I have gathered, no one who has not received those questions gets in.

Cornell CAM waitlist is probably a good thing for you. A few days before you posted here about the email from a professor, I inquired about my status and was told "I hope we will be able to provide more information within a couple of weeks." without any mention of being on a waitlist.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 am

I don't know what you think but I am so thankful for this forum (for being able to know what is going on). Thank you so much for sharing, everyone!

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 am

Just received a rejection from Cornell CAM.

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 am

Legendre wrote:Just received a rejection from Cornell CAM.
I did too. Also, for anyone who applied to Rutgers, I checked my status on their admissions website and it said:

Your application has been reviewed, and the Committee has denied admission.

(The admissions website is: https://admissionservices.rutgers.edu/g ... Status.app).

delta

Post by delta » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 am

I emailed Courant and they said that they expect to have all of its fellowship offers made by the end of March.

I wish they would just send out some rejections already so that I can be put out of my misery... lol

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 am

delta wrote:I emailed Courant and they said that they expect to have all of its fellowship offers made by the end of March.
Oh my! I emailed them 8 days ago and they told me mid-March

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 am

Rejected by Cornell. Sucks.

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

ditto to cornell reject list. guess i wont get to work with strogatzby

someone_else

Post by someone_else » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm

I can't believe it is already Pi Day. I had really hoped to be able to make a final decision before the last day of spring break (tomorrow), but there are till 6 schools that I haven't heard anything back from at all. I have already received some offers, and declined 3 so far, but I can't do much more than that until I have more information from these other schools.

JonMLTR

Post by JonMLTR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Anyone else who is sick and tired of the "regret" word...

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 pm

JonMLTR wrote:Anyone else who is sick and tired of the "regret" word...
Yeah I am also tired of that word. It sucks to get rejected man.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm just curious, how do Americans feel about foreign PhD students? Do they sort of feel like opportunities to study at good schools in their own country should have Americans as priority?

I happen to study in a country where the locals don't seem pleased with the fact that foreign students "steal" spots in graduate programs in local institutions from them.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 pm

emailed rice asking about the status of my application. think i've either probably been waitlisted or rejected.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

mindreader wrote:I'm just curious, how do Americans feel about foreign PhD students? Do they sort of feel like opportunities to study at good schools in their own country should have Americans as priority?

I happen to study in a country where the locals don't seem pleased with the fact that foreign students "steal" spots in graduate programs in local institutions from them.
That's a good question but I will not answer because I am international. I will however, say that I think most schools do prioritize American students. For example, I think my profile would have been a whole lot more competitive had I been domestic.
The bar is set much higher for international students. This is not a rant though, it just a statement of reality.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:19 pm

mindreader wrote:I'm just curious, how do Americans feel about foreign PhD students? Do they sort of feel like opportunities to study at good schools in their own country should have Americans as priority?

The system did not allow me to send you a private message.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm

cooltrainer wrote:

I don't know why, I've gotten many private messages in the past!

maffling

Post by maffling » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 pm

It seems like international students are held to a higher standard when being considered by many American Universities, so I don't really feel threatened since it's just as hard, if not harder, for foreign students to get into American PhD programs.

mathematics foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm

mindreader wrote:
cooltrainer wrote:

I don't know why, I've gotten many private messages in the past!
I was able to send messages to some other users and I tried different browsers and operating systems and still...By the way, I have a feeling that we might know each other or have some mutual friends but I can be wrong.
Last edited by cooltrainer on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm

The system did not allow me to send you a private message.[/quote]

I don't know why, I've gotten many private messages in the past![/quote]

I was able to send messages to some other users and I tried different browsers and operating systems and still...[/quote]

Perhaps you can just post here? I mean it's good discourse :)

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm

My personal opinion may differ from others, but here it is anyway.

First, you have to realize that public schools can fund American students much more easily, so as someone else said there's already some barrier to entry there. You have to be a pretty exceptional applicant compared to the domestic counterparts to get into good public programs here, so to me that's usually enough to say you deserve the position (as you've got to be more qualified than the majority of the domestic applicants).

I think it depends on what you want to do with your degree too though. If this is an avenue for you to possibly obtain US citizenship and give back to the country that provided you with this graduate education, then that's great. But if you're planning on leaving as soon as you get your degree, that seems a little, rude? I'm not sure what word would be best here.

Finally, depending on where you are from in America, it's sometimes hard to have any experience with people from other cultures, or who speak a language other than English. In that sense, I think it's nice to have a little bit of variety in the department, as long as these students are willing to mingle with the "locals".
Last edited by MathFreaked on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

MathFreaked wrote:

My personal opinion may differ from others, but here it is anyway.

First, you have to realize that public schools can fund American students much more easily, so as someone else said there's already some barrier to entry there. You have to be a pretty exceptional applicant compared to the domestic counterparts to get into good public programs here, so to me that's usually enough to say you deserve the position (as you've got to be more qualified than the majority of the domestic applicants).

I think it depends on what you want to do with your degree too though. If this is an avenue for you to possibly obtain US citizenship and give back to the country that provided you with this graduate educated, then that's great. But if you're planning on leaving as soon as you get your degree, that seems a little, rude? I'm not sure what word would be best here.

Finally, depending on where you are from in America, it's sometimes hard to have any experience with people from other cultures, or who speak a language other than English. In that sense, I think it's nice to have a little bit of variety in the department, as long as these students are willing to mingle with the "locals".
Great opinion! I come from a country (not where I currently study for my undergrad degree!) which used to be an American colony and I am grateful to Americans for the many benefits I have enjoyed - for one being able to speak English well! My mom has even dubbed me as having a colonial mentality...

but yeah, I do hope to meet a lot of American students when I commence my PhD studies! At where I am studying for my bachelor's degree, I don't have a lot of people to discuss with due to their unwillingness to speak English. I don't speak chinese whatsoever so I don't have a lot of people to talk about math with! it sucks since I have to figure out a lot of things by myself and I have to resort to the internet to obtain opinions/hints about how to solve some stuff

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm

@mindreader: Now I even have a stronger feeling that we might know each other or have mutual friends since what you said really matches with my guess (at least about where you are studying) :wink: However, this is just a feeling, no logic or proof involved ^___^

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:ditto to cornell reject list. guess i wont get to work with strogatzby
lol i applied there for strogatz et al too! i guess they are really popular for networks.

avisottda

Post by avisottda » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:43 pm

I can't believe that RPI still hasn't announced anything about funding for admitted students. Most of us got the acceptance letter in January/February. The professors at my college are now assuming that I just didn't get any funding and that RPI's trying to be polite about this by staying silent. Any RPI admits out there willing to share some info on this?

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:20 pm

cooltrainer wrote:@mindreader: Now I even have a stronger feeling that we might know each other or have mutual friends since what you said really matches with my guess (at least about where you are studying) :wink: However, this is just a feeling, no logic or proof involved ^___^
Why can't i send you a private message?!!! lol

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:25 pm

mindreader wrote:
cooltrainer wrote:@mindreader: Now I even have a stronger feeling that we might know each other or have mutual friends since what you said really matches with my guess (at least about where you are studying) :wink: However, this is just a feeling, no logic or proof involved ^___^
Why can't i send you a private message?!!! lol
Hold on, are you an American, cooltrainer?

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:59 pm

MathFreaked wrote:I think it depends on what you want to do with your degree too though. If this is an avenue for you to possibly obtain US citizenship and give back to the country that provided you with this graduate education, then that's great. But if you're planning on leaving as soon as you get your degree, that seems a little, rude? I'm not sure what word would be best here.
The thing is that the US Embassy(immigration or whatever you call it) actually encourages you to come just for your studies and go back after that. They do not encourage students to come to finally settle there, although they know that that happens a lot. I am sure that this is true for Indian students applying to MS in US(probably because of the sheer numbers) and am assuming the same would be true for PhD students and other nationals.

transfinite

Post by transfinite » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:57 am

Gasquet wrote:
MathFreaked wrote:I think it depends on what you want to do with your degree too though. If this is an avenue for you to possibly obtain US citizenship and give back to the country that provided you with this graduate education, then that's great. But if you're planning on leaving as soon as you get your degree, that seems a little, rude? I'm not sure what word would be best here.
The thing is that the US Embassy(immigration or whatever you call it) actually encourages you to come just for your studies and go back after that. They do not encourage students to come to finally settle there, although they know that that happens a lot. I am sure that this is true for Indian students applying to MS in US(probably because of the sheer numbers) and am assuming the same would be true for PhD students and other nationals.
Yes, in theory they should make sure that you intend to go back to your home country after you finish your studies. My visa interview was funny though. The consular officer asked me about my plans after graduation, and since I did not want to lie (unless absolutely necessary), I pretended that I didn't understand what he meant, and instead of telling him where I want to work, I told him what I wanted to do (i.e. that I wanted to become a math professor). Then he said, "very good, I hope you can get a job in the US, I think you have good chances". I tried my best to maintain a poker face because I thought it might be a trap. But apparently it wasn't, since right after this he said that I would receive my visa in the next few days.

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:01 am

Gasquet wrote:
I did not realize that. I'm not very familiar with the US Embassy since I don't have to deal with them. I wrote out my initial reply perhaps without thinking about my response as much as I should/could have. After all, it might be nice to not have to compete with you guys for jobs in the US after I get my degree :P.

avisottda

Post by avisottda » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:04 am

Gasquet wrote:
This is true. International students are supposed to state that they will leave the country as soon as they are done with their school even if that is not one intends to. The reason is many might abuse the student visa system to enter the US and stay here illegally (or so I heard). Now, people with Bachelors degree or higher are allowed to stay for up to one year after graduation to do internships and find an employer who might be able to sponsor their employment visa during this time. And usually the chances of finding that sort of employment are higher if one's educational level is higher and especially if one's degree is in STEM.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I was so naive when choosing which schools to apply to...did not know that it is this tough...

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:44 pm

cooltrainer wrote:I was so naive when choosing which schools to apply to...did not know that it is this tough...

I feel exactly the same way. I should have done this differently, should have done that differently.

abstruse

Post by abstruse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Could anyone post a sample of an email to let schools you will not be attending? I'm trying to be a good citizen and decline everything except the three schools I am still deciding between.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:24 pm

abstruse wrote:Could anyone post a sample of an email to let schools you will not be attending? I'm trying to be a good citizen and decline everything except the three schools I am still deciding between.
I think you should just thank them for accepting you and say that you feel you will fit better at another program so "unfortunately I would like to decline your offer of admission". I think it is pretty much fashioned in the same way as a rejection email :mrgreen:
by the way, which 3 schools are you still considering ?

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:59 pm

abstruse wrote:Could anyone post a sample of an email to let schools you will not be attending? I'm trying to be a good citizen and decline everything except the three schools I am still deciding between.
I'm not very good at writing stuff, but this is what I sent to the (one) school that I have been able to decline:

Thank you for your consideration of my application and your offer of admission.  I am sincerely grateful for your offer for admission into the doctoral program in pure mathematics, however, I will be accepting an offer elsewhere.  Thank you again for everything.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 am

qbranch wrote:
I'm not very good at writing stuff, but this is what I sent to the (one) school that I have been able to decline:

Thank you for your consideration of my application and your offer of admission.  I am sincerely grateful for your offer for admission into the doctoral program in pure mathematics, however, I will be accepting an offer elsewhere.  Thank you again for everything.
It will be really funny to cut and paste their rejection letter, with minor changes, back at them. :lol:

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Legendre wrote:
qbranch wrote:

It will be really funny to cut and paste their rejection letter, with minor changes, back at them. :lol:
You would have to have help, because if you are rejecting them, then they didn't send you a rejection letter.

tbil

Post by tbil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 am

Legendre wrote:
qbranch wrote:

So funny! That reminds me of this joke rejection-to-your-rejection letter I read the other day- http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/humor/reject.html :D

mathgirl16

Post by mathgirl16 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I have been admitted to a school with full funding. Not my first choice but I am more than happy with the offer. They would like me to accept by April 5th. But I am still waiting on four schools. Does anyone have any information on- Michigan State, Purdue, University of Iowa, or Michigan? (I am applying for my Masters)

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

mathgirl16 wrote:I have been admitted to a school with full funding. Not my first choice but I am more than happy with the offer. They would like me to accept by April 5th. But I am still waiting on four schools. Does anyone have any information on- Michigan State, Purdue, University of Iowa, or Michigan? (I am applying for my Masters)

Are you applying for pure or applied math? I am an undergraduate student in Michigan. I applied for AIM master for safety and haven't heard back.