Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
longtm1989

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by longtm1989 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:32 pm

I emailed Michigan Pure math, and they said my file is still under consideration. I guess I will have to wait for couple of weeks or so. Do you think there is some group of people (the 1%...), getting accepted to all top graduate schools, and they try to not give any of their decisions to these schools, so that all of us (students and committees) have to suffer together?

allin1

Post by allin1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:08 pm

longtm1989 wrote:I emailed Michigan Pure math, and they said my file is still under consideration. I guess I will have to wait for couple of weeks or so. Do you think there is some group of people (the 1%...), getting accepted to all top graduate schools, and they try to not give any of their decisions to these schools, so that all of us (students and committees) have to suffer together?
Judging by the offers given to the applicants by those top graduate schools around 15th of April last year in gradcafe, I think it is highly possible. I am waitlisted in 4 universities myself and waiting for the April.

elektron1999

Post by elektron1999 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:09 pm

No man, I don't think such people exist. However if somebody worked so hard to be admitted to "all-top-schools", then they deserve a month to think what to do with their future.

The most important is that students need to visit schools in order to find out whether they want to accept the offer or not. Some schools have their open-house the first week of April, so it is impossible for students to decline offers until then.

Keep hope, there should be some offers around April 10th. I don't think there will be many offers until then. Most schools have made "their first move", it is the turn of students to deliberate.

Good Luck!

tajohans

Post by tajohans » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:23 pm

If anyone's stressing out over the UofToronto admit on gradcafe, I think you should try to remain calm. I was the admit, and I think the reason I was admitted early was because I was nominated for a scholarship for international students, which has its application deadline on Monday. So it's entirely possible I was the only one admitted today.

Also, very happy about my first admit!

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 pm

I get a rejection from Colorado State University

ApplMathProfile

Post by ApplMathProfile » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Edited
Last edited by ApplMathProfile on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomposter

Post by randomposter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Got a reply from wisconsin-madison
The Department of Mathematics is still in the process of making final decisions. As always, we are placed in the difficult position of choosing a list of admission offers from a much longer list of students who are well-qualified for our program and who we'd like to have here. Some admission offers have been made, and some rejections have been sent out. If you haven't heard from us, it means your case is still being considered. We apologize for the delay and will make final decisions as quickly as possible.

allin1

Post by allin1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Is there anyone in this forum who got admission from Boston University pure and applied math??? Thanks

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 pm

tajohans wrote:If anyone's stressing out over the UofToronto admit on gradcafe, I think you should try to remain calm. I was the admit, and I think the reason I was admitted early was because I was nominated for a scholarship for international students, which has its application deadline on Monday. So it's entirely possible I was the only one admitted today.

Also, very happy about my first admit!
thanks for the reassurance, I really appreciate that, and congrats on the admit and the scholarship :)

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 pm

ApplMathProfile wrote:Rejected from Caltech ACM today.
I am sorry. Not accepting you is their loss.

colldood

Post by colldood » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Rejected from Yale :(. Dammit, what do these people want from us!

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:34 pm

got my second acceptance today but no funding. how could i go to school for 5 years without pay?

i spy a duke applied math reject. can anyone confirm? this is the first rejection from them i have heard of.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:44 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:got my second acceptance today but no funding. how could i go to school for 5 years without pay?
And horrendous tuition fees. Don't do it!! You will eventually get funded!
wickerfurniture wrote: i spy a duke applied math reject. can anyone confirm? this is the first rejection from them i have heard of.
I applied there. Haven't heard anything from them.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:04 pm

I have not heard from Duke either. There is also a Courant admit ohh my :shock: !

cjh

Post by cjh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

To those who heard from Brandeis and/or Colorado State, did you email them first?

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Yea I'm not going to take anything without funding. I'm just wondering how that could be a reasonable course of action? Maybe if you're rich? Or if you can do research consistently while moonlighting at night?

Ah well it's still nice to get accepted

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 pm

You could be wealthy. (cf earlier discussion on this thread regarding billionaire vs. fields medal)

agmnu

Post by agmnu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Anyone heard from Florida State U biomath program???
Also, are the departments active during spring break?

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 pm

agmnu wrote:Anyone heard from Florida State U biomath program???
I applied to FSU pure math and I am still waiting. I hope that this story finish as soon as possible. I am sick of waiting.

agmnu

Post by agmnu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 pm

MathKS wrote:
I applied to FSU pure math and I am still waiting. I hope that this story finish as soon as possible. I am sick of waiting.
seriously! me too...tired of being in a state of limbo. That program is my dream.

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm

agmnu wrote:
MathKS wrote:
seriously! me too...tired of being in a state of limbo. That program is my dream.
I hope you get what you are looking for. Have you contacted this department recently???

agmnu

Post by agmnu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks! I contacted them last week...they said they would send the offers soon. But nothing yet.
What about you?
I hope you get in too!

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 pm

agmnu wrote:Thanks! I contacted them last week...they said they would send the offers soon. But nothing yet.
What about you?
I hope you get in too!
Thanks a lot for your reply. I contacted them on Friday , Feb 22. They said for me, I should hear from them during the next two week from that date till one month. Unfortunately, I have not heard from them so far. If I did not receive any news tomorrow, I think I will hear after their spring break, i.e, after more than one week. OMG. I hope you have the best.

agmnu

Post by agmnu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm

I will probably mail them if I do not hear anything by tomorrow noon!
Otherwise I will not be able to study during spring break.
anyways, all the best :)

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:36 am

Another day goes by. Sigh. They say limbo can’t last forever, but it certainly feels like it is.

Okay, so when is Spring break? More importantly, does spring break mean that schools will not make any move during that time?

marco

Post by marco » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 am

Gasquet wrote:Another day goes by. Sigh. They say limbo can’t last forever, but it certainly feels like it is.

Okay, so when is Spring break? More importantly, does spring break mean that schools will not make any move during that time?
Yeah, this sucks. Maybe tomorrow we will hear something.

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 am

Gasquet wrote: Okay, so when is Spring break? More importantly, does spring break mean that schools will not make any move during that time?
Spring break varies from school to school, but should be posted on their calendars. The earliest spring breaks that I know of are this week, and the latest ones that I know of are the first week of April.

I'm not sure if this means the admissions committees get a break, but as far as I know professors usually get a break along with the students. Many still do research over spring break though.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 am

In case anyone is curious about their application status to Purdue, here's the response I got. Holy crap, I didn't realize they got over FIVE HUNDRED applications! :shock:
Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Thanks for your inquiry about the status of your application. Right now your application is in the review process. This process is rather lengthy, as we get about 500 applications per year. I can't give you an exact date when we will have a firm decision,when do we will let you know as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

David Goldberg
Professor of Mathematics
Associate Head for Graduate Studies
goldberg@math.purdue.edu

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 am

500 :shock:
In terms of sheer numbers that may make Purdue one of the toughest places to get into.

bsbnj

Post by bsbnj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:11 am

MathKS wrote:I get a rejection from Colorado State University
Could you tell me what program? math or stat?

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:26 am

bsbnj wrote:
Math

bsbnj

Post by bsbnj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 am

MathKS wrote:
bsbnj wrote:
Math

I haven't heard anything yet as of this post....the waiting is killing me as I am pretty sure I will be getting a reject. Where was it posted for you? on ramweb? or in an email? If you don't mind me asking.

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am

I haven't heard anything yet as of this post....the waiting is killing me as I am pretty sure I will be getting a reject. Where was it posted for you? on ramweb? or in an email? If you don't mind me asking.[/quote]

I get an email yesterday from Bryan Elder attached with the formal denial of admission letter. I hope you are admitted.

bsbnj

Post by bsbnj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 am

MathKS wrote:I haven't heard anything yet as of this post....the waiting is killing me as I am pretty sure I will be getting a reject. Where was it posted for you? on ramweb? or in an email? If you don't mind me asking.
I get an email yesterday from Bryan Elder attached with the formal denial of admission letter. I hope you are admitted.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I'm sorry you were not admitted. And, yea, I do HOPE that I am, but not very optimistic....

Thanks again! Good luck with other schools

y45askel

Post by y45askel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Just e-mailed the grad coordinator at Ohio State and found out that I was accepted to their Masters in Mathematical Bio program! So happy right now! :)

bsbnj

Post by bsbnj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:11 pm

bsbnj wrote:
MathKS wrote:I haven't heard anything yet as of this post....the waiting is killing me as I am pretty sure I will be getting a reject. Where was it posted for you? on ramweb? or in an email? If you don't mind me asking.
I get an email yesterday from Bryan Elder attached with the formal denial of admission letter. I hope you are admitted.

Thanks for the info! I'm sorry you were not admitted. And, yea, I do HOPE that I am, but not very optimistic....

Thanks again! Good luck with other schools[/quote]

Received the rejection email just now from Colorado State. Waiting on one more school....it's looking like University of Denver (as long as I get funding).

marco

Post by marco » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:44 pm

There is a Minnesota rejection on GC. Can someone confirm that they are indeed sending these?

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm

[/quote]
Received the rejection email just now from Colorado State. Waiting on one more school....it's looking like University of Denver (as long as I get funding).[/quote]

I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you get another admission somewhere better than CSU

bsbnj

Post by bsbnj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

MathKS wrote:
Received the rejection email just now from Colorado State. Waiting on one more school....it's looking like University of Denver (as long as I get funding).[/quote]

I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you get another admission somewhere better than CSU[/quote]

Thanks. Sucks but not unexpected. I am in at DU already, just waiting on funding information - so I am praying to the funding Gods! And have one more school I have not heard from yet.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

mindreader wrote:To those waiting to hear from Cornell CAM, I have been e-mailed by a professor today inquiring whether I wish to be considered in the waiting list. I am more than relieved after getting rejected by Brown because I only have 1 PhD admit so far and I don't have much of a choice, really.

Was anyone e-mailed by a faculty member of Cornell CAM too?
Yes, I received a waiting list email from the director too. Did you post this on gradcafe? I feel very happy to be waitlisted actually but I really do not think I will make it. They accepted only 5-6 applicants per 200 applications and I am not sure how long their waiting list is. If anyone else here has been waitlisted at Cornell, may you share with us just for fun?

I am glad you have 1 PhD admit so far because I don't (ASU accepted me without funding - how lame is that?) Right now I am really scared because of my family situation and stuff but I try not to let this affect me. Who wants to be around sad and worried people?

Best wishes to you ^__________^
Last edited by cooltrainer on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 am

cooltrainer wrote:
mindreader wrote:To those waiting to hear from Cornell CAM, I have been e-mailed by a professor today inquiring whether I wish to be considered in the waiting list. I am more than relieved after getting rejected by Brown because I only have 1 PhD admit so far and I don't have much of a choice, really.

Yes, I received a waiting list email from the director too. Did you post this on gradcafe? I feel very happy to be waitlisted actually but I really do not think I will make it. They accepted only 5-6 applicants and I am not sure how long their waiting list is. If anyone else here has been waitlisted at Cornell, may you share with us just for fun?

I am glad you have 1 PhD admit so far because I don't (ASU accepted me without funding - how lame is that?) Right now I am really scared because of my family situation and stuff but I try not to let this affect me. Who wants to be around sad and worried people?

I see that sucks man, hope you get accepted somewhere!

No I don't like to post on gradcafe for some reason. And if brings you consolation, I discovered that one current Cornell CAM PhD student got off the waitlist. But that guy got waitlisted at MIT as well which shows his caliber.

Whatever the outcome, like you, it was pleasing in that it somewhat boosted my confidence.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 am

mindreader wrote:
cooltrainer wrote:

Yes, I received a waiting list email from the director too. Did you post this on gradcafe? I feel very happy to be waitlisted actually but I really do not think I will make it. They accepted only 5-6 applicants and I am not sure how long their waiting list is. If anyone else here has been waitlisted at Cornell, may you share with us just for fun?

I see that sucks man, hope you get accepted somewhere!

No I don't like to post on gradcafe for some reason. And if brings you consolation, I discovered that one current Cornell CAM PhD student got off the waitlist. But that guy got waitlisted at MIT as well which shows his caliber.

Whatever the outcome, like you, it was pleasing in that it somewhat boosted my confidence.
Thanks :) Did you mean a guy who is pursuing the PhD degree in Fall 2013 and just recently got accepted off the waitlist or a guy who is currently a PhD student and got accepted in some previous year? Sorry for having a lot of questions! Thank you so much for your time.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks :) Did you mean a guy who is pursuing the PhD degree in Fall 2013 and just recently got accepted off the waitlist or a guy who is currently a PhD student and got accepted in some previous year? Sorry for having a lot of questions! Thank you so much for your time.[/quote]

i meant a current student at Cornell CAM. I'm not sure if he applied last year 2 years ago, etc. ;)

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 am

mindreader wrote:Thanks :) Did you mean a guy who is pursuing the PhD degree in Fall 2013 and just recently got accepted off the waitlist or a guy who is currently a PhD student and got accepted in some previous year? Sorry for having a lot of questions! Thank you so much for your time.
i meant a current student at Cornell CAM. I'm not sure if he applied last year 2 years ago, etc. ;)[/quote]

sabq

Post by sabq » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:56 pm

y45askel wrote:Just e-mailed the grad coordinator at Ohio State and found out that I was accepted to their Masters in Mathematical Bio program! So happy right now! :)
Congratulations! Did they update the application status on "Buckeyelink"? I also applied to the M.M.S program but have not heard from them yet. I will probably e-mail Professor Thomas Kerler.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Another admit from Courant, another wait-list from Cornell CAM up on GC. Sigh. :(

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 am

There is a post on thegradecafe.com that someone got an admission via email from FSU on March 8, 2013.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Is someone on here the recent Duke reject post on GC? If so, do you mind telling us if you are pure or applied? A lot of us are waiting to hear on the applied front.

Pi123

Post by Pi123 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi guys! I accepted today an offer from Courant pure math. Anyone else planning to attend there? I'm an international applicant.

y45askel

Post by y45askel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 pm

sabq wrote:
y45askel wrote:Just e-mailed the grad coordinator at Ohio State and found out that I was accepted to their Masters in Mathematical Bio program! So happy right now! :)
Congratulations! Did they update the application status on "Buckeyelink"? I also applied to the M.M.S program but have not heard from them yet. I will probably e-mail Professor Thomas Kerler.

Thanks! Not yet, he said that they just made a decision and it will take a couple of days for my file to go through the administrative process and I should get the official letter in a few days. I'm guessing that my status will go to "Complete" at some point this week once that happens... :P

Did you apply to the Math-Bio program too?