Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Nr

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm

1lovingsister wrote:I agree with the point IIIII is making. I am an example of how some schools DO look at applications holistically. I BOMBED the Math GRE completely. In fact, I have not seen anyone who scored lower than me. I have no excuses or even any explanations. I'm just grateful that UIUC looked past the score and saw the value in the rest of my fairly strong application package. It does make getting the rejections a little easier though, as opposed to someone without any giant holes in their application...because it's obvious why no school would want me.

I don't get it
If schools really take students based on numbers then I should have a chance to get into somewhere, but it seems I don't. So, it can't be that simple
I highly doubt that there are more than a few unis which use this method.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Just saw the email from Prof. Prof. Laugesen. Very pleasant surprise :D My offer details are to follow later this week although he informed me in the email that I have been offered TA-ship with full tuition waiver.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 pm

virgo wrote: Some people really were sick during the subject test. I had bronchitis for nearly a month before the exam. I will scan my doctor's note when I post my profile :P . To be fair I was almost back to normal on test day, although the illness did affect my endurance and preparation.
I took the test on a Sat and had surgery (general anaesthesia, 2 weeks before I could eat or go out again) on Monday morning. :lol:

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Legendre wrote:
virgo wrote: Some people really were sick during the subject test. I had bronchitis for nearly a month before the exam. I will scan my doctor's note when I post my profile :P . To be fair I was almost back to normal on test day, although the illness did affect my endurance and preparation.
I took the test on a Sat and had surgery (general anaesthesia, 2 weeks before I could eat or go out again) on Monday morning. :lol:
Eek, that sucks! Good to hear you still did well. What happened?

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm

1lovingsister wrote:...I BOMBED the Math GRE completely. In fact, I have not seen anyone who scored lower than me...
I'll take that challenge.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 pm

waiting512 wrote:I didn't get an email from Vanderbilt. Can someone post the content of the email? I guess I am on the waitlist? I applied to Pure Math.
I'm applied math, although their department puts it all in one. I got a form rejection letter from the dean of the graduate school:

"This communication is in response to your application for admission to
graduate study in the Mathematics program at Vanderbilt University. Based
on the recommendation of its faculty, we regret to inform you that
Vanderbilt is unable to offer you admission to this program.
We received a significant number of graduate applications this year;
thus, we are faced with the unpleasant task of turning down a number of
well-qualified applicants.
We wish you well in your endeavors. Again, thank you for your interest in
Vanderbilt University."

Basically, the generic "nice try" rejection letter. Nothing special.

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Nr wrote:
1lovingsister wrote:I agree with the point IIIII is making. I am an example of how some schools DO look at applications holistically. I BOMBED the Math GRE completely. In fact, I have not seen anyone who scored lower than me. I have no excuses or even any explanations. I'm just grateful that UIUC looked past the score and saw the value in the rest of my fairly strong application package. It does make getting the rejections a little easier though, as opposed to someone without any giant holes in their application...because it's obvious why no school would want me.

I don't get it
If schools really take students based on numbers then I should have a chance to get into somewhere, but it seems I don't. So, it can't be that simple
I highly doubt that there are more than a few unis which use this method.
I actually find it very weird that you didn't get in anywhere. Maybe you will get into UIUC?

waiting512

Post by waiting512 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 pm

I am sorry that you got rejected, but if it's a form letter then that might be good for me; I imagine that they would have rejected all of us at the same time.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 pm

One thing I noticed about Vanderbilt's admission page:
Over the last 8 years we have had incoming classes ranging in size from 8 - 13. All applicants are given equal consideration regardless of their nationality.
There is only one American accept on GC this year:

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php ... a&o=&pp=25

Among those with acceptances, only two have listed their MGRE's: 860 and 880. Of course there is some self-reporting selection bias. Yet, it still seems that admission there is more competitive than rankings only would suggest.

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 pm

ParsleyX wrote:
1lovingsister wrote:...I BOMBED the Math GRE completely. In fact, I have not seen anyone who scored lower than me...
Dang it! I couldn't even win at failing... >__<

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 pm

waiting512 wrote:I am sorry that you got rejected, but if it's a form letter then that might be good for me; I imagine that they would have rejected all of us at the same time.
Yeah, if you didn't get that email, I assume you're probably on the waitlist.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 pm

IIIII wrote:One thing I noticed about Vanderbilt's admission page:
Over the last 8 years we have had incoming classes ranging in size from 8 - 13. All applicants are given equal consideration regardless of their nationality.
There is only one American accept on GC this year:

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php ... a&o=&pp=25

Among those with acceptances, only two have listed their MGRE's: 860 and 880. Of course there is some self-reporting selection bias. Yet, it still seems that admission there is more competitive than rankings only would suggest.
I wonder, on average, how many applications they have.

waiting512

Post by waiting512 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

It could be the case that they go pretty deep into their waitlist. Since, these high scorers will inevitably go to a better program.

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

I don't get it
I highly doubt that there are more than a few unis which use this method.[/quote]
I actually find it very weird that you didn't get in anywhere. Maybe you will get into UIUC?[/quote]

Yeah but Virgo last year I had exactly the same stats and scores and didn't do it, even UIUC ...
maybe this year things are different

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 am

I have actually been thinking that the reason I have not gotten an admit yet is my MGRE: 760-74%. If I were domestic, this would be a really good number but given that I'm international I need a higher score. Hopefully some schools might overlook this.
IMHO, the best way to cope with all this decision drama is to get comfortable with the game plan I would take in case no school accepts me. I am sure that my application would be quite stronger for next year: I could engage in research, take some graduate courses and increment my MGRE score. Fortunately, my university has a strong mathematics department that enables me to do all these things. The worst scenario game plan is really not that bad and this idea is what keeps me going.
I still have not lost any hope with the schools I have applied to though (I actually have a good feeling about some of them still).
Just wanted to share this with you guys. Good luck to all of you!

meredith

Post by meredith » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 am

marco wrote:I have actually been thinking that the reason I have not gotten an admit yet is my MGRE: 760-74%. If I were domestic, this would be a really good number but given that I'm international I need a higher score. Hopefully some schools might overlook this.
IMHO, the best way to cope with all this decision drama is to get comfortable with the game plan I would take in case no school accepts me. I am sure that my application would be quite stronger for next year: I could engage in research, take some graduate courses and increment my MGRE score. Fortunately, my university has a strong mathematics department that enables me to do all these things. The worst scenario game plan is really not that bad and this idea is what keeps me going.
I still have not lost any hope with the schools I have applied to though (I actually have a good feeling about some of them still).
That's what I ended up doing. I didn't get in anywhere last year, so I took a fifth year and did mostly grad classes and a research project. It made a huge difference in a lot of ways, and even if the credit doesn't transfer, I feel way more prepared.

Regardless, I believe in you!

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am

I see a few people on here have been accepted to Rennselaer. Has anyone received any funding information?

Nr

Post by Nr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 am

marco wrote:I have actually been thinking that the reason I have not gotten an admit yet is my MGRE: 760-74%. If I were domestic, this would be a really good number but given that I'm international I need a higher score. Hopefully some schools might overlook this.
Yeah exactly
that's what I did too.
Don't worry ...
I really really hope you make it
but if by any chance it won't turn out the way you wanted to, its not the end of the world.
There are plenty of other opportunities to grow, to get stronger, to learn math and to prove yourself ...
And in the end that's what we all really want, right ???
So, stay strong and Good Luck !!!

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:47 am

meredith wrote:
That's what I ended up doing. I didn't get in anywhere last year, so I took a fifth year and did mostly grad classes and a research project. It made a huge difference in a lot of ways, and even if the credit doesn't transfer, I feel way more prepared.

Regardless, I believe in you!
I saw your profile and I see that you have been already accepted to most of the schools you applied to. It has cheered me up :P .
Thanks for your kind words :P .

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 am

Nr wrote:
Yeah exactly
that's what I did too.
Don't worry ...
I really really hope you make it
but if by any chance it won't turn out the way you wanted to, its not the end of the world.
There are plenty of other opportunities to grow, to get stronger, to learn math and to prove yourself ...
And in the end that's what we all really want, right ???
So, stay strong and Good Luck !!!
Exactly! I really hope you get into UIUC :P !

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 am

jdesilva wrote:
They did not lose my transcript, I have not gotten into several "better" schools, and I was not sick during the subject test.
Anyone on here post this? Whoever you are, I admire you. :D
:D
I would like to believe that it is my MGRE(72%) that has prevented me from getting in anywhere as of now, and not some serious flaw in my application. I think some of you guys are lucky that you have a not so 'bad' worst case scenario. My university(well almost all Indian schools for that matter) don't allow you to stay an extra year. Once you are done, you are done. So my worst case scenario would be to either get a job or take a year off and study math on my own, neither of which will help my chances for the next year. Of course I could take the MGRE again and try for a better score, but there is nothing else possible. That said, I still have many replies yet to come(and hence a very long wait) and hopefully I get in somewhere.

@Eowyn: Congrats yet again. 6th admit? Your profile will give all future international students very high hope.

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 am

1lovingsister wrote:
ParsleyX wrote:
Dang it! I couldn't even win at failing... >__<
It's not exactly an enviable position for me ;)

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:24 am

ParsleyX wrote:
1lovingsister wrote: Dang it! I couldn't even win at failing... >__<
It's not exactly an enviable position for me ;)
haha. The waiting is getting to me....I'm becoming competitive about everything. :oops:

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 am

Gasquet wrote:
jdesilva wrote:
They did not lose my transcript, I have not gotten into several "better" schools, and I was not sick during the subject test.
Anyone on here post this? Whoever you are, I admire you. :D
:D
I would like to believe that it is my MGRE(72%) that has prevented me from getting in anywhere as of now, and not some serious flaw in my application. I think some of you guys are lucky that you have a not so 'bad' worst case scenario. My university(well almost all Indian schools for that matter) don't allow you to stay an extra year. Once you are done, you are done. So my worst case scenario would be to either get a job or take a year off and study math on my own, neither of which will help my chances for the next year. Of course I could take the MGRE again and try for a better score, but there is nothing else possible. That said, I still have many replies yet to come(and hence a very long wait) and hopefully I get in somewhere.

@Eowyn: Congrats yet again. 6th admit? Your profile will give all future international students very high hope.
I suppose I'll share a bit of my story as well. I was rejected everywhere I applied last year. I got a job, paid down some students loans, studied for the MGRE during evenings and weekends, did some self-readings through a few first year grad texts. Now I have improved my MGRE, have a much better personal statement, am better prepared for grad school, and already have four admits. Even if it takes an extra year, don't lose hope!

meredith

Post by meredith » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 am

So, even though I didn't apply to UIUC, I've been obsessing about when they're going to send out results for you guys. I really hope you guys all get into where you want. Knowing that I'm not the only neurotic person out there has been incredibly helpful the last few months.

Long story short, you guys rock. Good luck to everyone!

Nr

Post by Nr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 am

meredith wrote:So, even though I didn't apply to UIUC, I've been obsessing about when they're going to send out results for you guys. I really hope you guys all get into where you want. Knowing that I'm not the only neurotic person out there has been incredibly helpful the last few months.

Yeah exactly
That's the most awesome thing about this place ...
You know you're not the only crazy guy around
Makes me really happy :D

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 am

Nr wrote:
meredith wrote:So, even though I didn't apply to UIUC, I've been obsessing about when they're going to send out results for you guys. I really hope you guys all get into where you want. Knowing that I'm not the only neurotic person out there has been incredibly helpful the last few months.

Yeah exactly
That's the most awesome thing about this place ...
You know you're not the only crazy guy around
Makes me really happy :D
Just one big, happy, crazy, impatient crowd of extremely anxious and math obsessed students. :D

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 am

1lovingsister wrote:Just one big, happy, crazy, impatient crowd of extremely anxious and math obsessed students. :D
This should be added below the "for current and prospective graduate students in mathematics"

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 am

virgo wrote:
broken_symlink wrote:rejected from UIUC and UT Austin. so i'm now 0 for 3.
When were you rejected from Austin?
I was rejected from UT Austin a while ago, my mom said she got a letter in the mail, but I never got an email. I still have 5 schools left to hear from. I think I'm probably only gonna get into 1 school if that.

I was planning on deferring a year anyway because I got a job offer doing pure-ish math research in like algebraic topology I guess, and I was planning on doing a REU at my school this summer, since they said they accept graduating seniors. Last summer was my first time doing a REU and it ended really well, but during the middle of the summer I was seriously considering not going to grad school because of the REU, which made me stop studying for the GRE.

It would have been nice to get in somewhere this year, but my GRE score is probably whats keeping me out. I REALLY messed up the subject test. My score was below 500. I just didn't study for it. Its also been like two years since I've taken a math class, since I finished my math major early and have been doing a second major in computer engineering. Really, I should have applied next year, but I didn't find out about the job until I applied a bunch of places, and I didn't get my GRE score until like December since I took the test in November. I just wasn't expecting to be as bad as it was.

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 am

Gasquet wrote:
1lovingsister wrote:Just one big, happy, crazy, impatient crowd of extremely anxious and math obsessed students. :D
This should be added below the "for current and prospective graduate students in mathematics"
I concur.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:35 am

Thank you so much, Gasquet. And for all of you guys who are waiting so anxiously for UIUC... I really wish that you would get in fine... and I am keeping my fingers crossed that you'll soon hear from Prof. Laugesen....

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 am

Good luck to you all guys! It is nice to have support group for this situation :P ! I really hope you get into your top schools!

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 am

For those two got offer for applied math from Yale from gc, can I ask if you guys will accept or decline the offer?

ReneMagritte

Post by ReneMagritte » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am

marco wrote:IMHO, the best way to cope with all this decision drama is to get comfortable with the game plan I would take in case no school accepts me.
I think the best way to cope is to download a website-blocker when you submit your applications and block MathematicsGRE.com, TheGradCafe.com, etc. from your browser!

After we submit it's a deterministic process beyond our control. I think this website just serves to get people really obsessive and stressed out. I don't think there's any need to be; certainty, it doesn't help any of the applications! Just sit it out, I think. Then you actually get a nice surprise if something does come up trumps. :)

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 am

ReneMagritte wrote:
marco wrote:IMHO, the best way to cope with all this decision drama is to get comfortable with the game plan I would take in case no school accepts me.
I think the best way to cope is to download a website-blocker when you submit your applications and block MathematicsGRE.com, TheGradCafe.com, etc. from your browser!

After we submit it's a deterministic process beyond our control. I think this website just serves to get people really obsessive and stressed out. I don't think there's any need to be; certainty, it doesn't help any of the applications! Just sit it out, I think. Then you actually get a nice surprise if something does come up trumps. :)
I actually agree with you. I should have said something like: "The best way to cope with this decision drama, given that one cannot help but enter sites like Mathematcisgre.com and TheGradCafe.com. is to...". I have tried to avoid these sites but I was not able to. Plus I have gotten "to know" all of the people who frequent this site and I seem to care for them right now :P . I really hope that they get into their favorite schools as much as I hope for myself to get into mine. That being said, the best strategy would have definitely been to avoid these sites from the get-go.

Nr

Post by Nr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm

ReneMagritte wrote:

Actually I think it's exactly the opposite for me.
Before I found this place I really thought others all mostly calm and relaxed and waiting for their results
Particularly Americans. I really thought they don't really worry as they chances are somehow better and maybe they can call or meet or whatever, and I am pretty much one of the few ones going nuts...
But here I saw its not like that ...
That actually helped me
I'm glad I found this place !!!

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:00 pm

UMD AMSC anyone?????????????

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 pm

ReneMagritte wrote:After we submit it's a deterministic process beyond our control.
Definitely beyond our control...but I'd argue that it is also definitely NOT a deterministic process. Anywhoooo, I think @marco said it best...I had determined before I submitted my applications to stay away from all forums/message boards/websites that would give me an easy way to compare myself to a bunch of other people...but I failed in my resolution....and now that I'm here I'm just rooting for everyone's success.

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:37 pm

cooltrainer wrote:UMD AMSC anyone?????????????
No AMSC for me. Still hoping for some though.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Have they sent out more offers yet?

marco

Post by marco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

cooltrainer wrote:Have they sent out more offers yet?
Don't think so, but I could be wrong.

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 pm

marco wrote:
No word here either. I worked really hard on my additional questions, too. :(

allemanau

Post by allemanau » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm

JacobiField wrote:
marco wrote:
No word here either. I worked really hard on my additional questions, too. :(
Nope! Guess we'll be sitting tight for a while...

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 pm

A rather quiet day! I thought I will finally hear from UIUC today :/

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 pm

math_applicant wrote:A rather quiet day! I thought I will finally hear from UIUC today :/
SAMESIES!!!

Nr

Post by Nr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:41 pm

math_applicant wrote:A rather quiet day! I thought I will finally hear from UIUC today :/
Yeah man
I am completely confused now...
I don't get it. Sending some rejections some acceptations ...
tomorrow is the last day of Feb.
So, they basically either send out results tomorrow
or they just changed schedule ...

scarletshade

Post by scarletshade » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Is it just me or they are really slow this year. I haven't heard anything from the schools I applied to yet I don't see admits on grad cafe for most of them. 0:0 is prob worse than getting a few rejects. Anyway, I still have plan B of becoming a hacker :twisted:

meredith

Post by meredith » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

I heard that most schools are running late this year because they're worried about funding from the government with all of the budget drama that's going on. No idea if that's actually true, but I definitely feel like almost everyone has been at least a week later than last year.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

It's good to know. Thanks for sharing. I don't mind waiting as long as waiting does not mean being waitlisted. I called the schools I applied to and they said I was still being considered. Among them, some said "under review" did not mean "waitlisted" but they already sent out their first-round offers --> what did they mean?
BTW, good luck to you all.

IfhhoteCannot

Post by IfhhoteCannot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

cooltrainer wrote:It's good to know. Thanks for sharing. I don't mind waiting as long as waiting does not mean being waitlisted. I called the schools I applied to and they said I was still being considered. Among them, some said "under review" did not mean "waitlisted" but they already sent out their first-round offers --> what did they mean?
BTW, good luck to you all.
I'm pretty sure the difference is that "under review" means they're not sure about whether they would take you if they could. "Waitlisted" basically means "we like you, we want you, there just might not be enough space." If you're under review and every person they made offers to declines, you still may not be in.

Also, I have two questions for everyone. Is there anyone who hasn't heard ANYTHING from UW Madison, and is there anyone who has been sent a rejection from Rutgers (I know some people emailed them to ask and were rejected that way)?

I can't wait until this whole waiting period is over and I look back at myself saying "I was such a mess!!! I'm so glad things worked out the way they did...."