Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
nico

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by nico » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:10 am

Gasquet wrote:This might sound like a silly question to many of you, but I believe I'm not the only one who would have it. Many international students are not aware of the jargon used by Americans.

What does POI stand for? Googling it led me to a thread on the gradcafe forum which has some nice options:

Primary Opium Introducer
Pithy Orangutan Instigator
Perching Orange Intimidator
Person Oppressing Imagination
Pathological Optimism Incinerator

By some of the posts here, especially in this thread, the last seems pretty likely. Okay, so seriously I guess some people use it for Person of Interest, but that just has a huge criminal vibe to it. The other possibility is Professor of Interest, which sounds pretty weird in itself.

So, which one is it?

It stands for person of importance :-) lol, but I admit yours are more interesting.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

FYI: I could count 9 profiles on this forum who applied to Maryland AMSC of which 3 reflect that they received the email for further information.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 am

For AMSC, it is very possible that right now they are only sending out offers to students who received the fellowship in addition to the TA. Perhaps they will send more offers without the fellowship later in the week.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am

tikalora wrote:For AMSC, it is very possible that right now they are only sending out offers to students who received the fellowship in addition to the TA. Perhaps they will send more offers without the fellowship later in the week.
Here's hoping :P !

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm

marco wrote:FYI: I could count 9 profiles on this forum who applied to Maryland AMSC of which 3 reflect that they received the email for further information.
I don't have a profile on here, but I received the email for further information and have not been admitted.

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 pm

ApplMathProfile wrote:
ParsleyX wrote:While we're at it, anyone know anything about Northwestern? I see a lot of rejections and only 2 acceptances. They do admit a smaller class, though.

Has that cat been let out of the bag yet?
Northwestern ESAM called me almost a month ago saying that I got in. They said they had over 150 applicants for 10 spots. Also, there are three visiting days (March 1, 15 and April 1).
I have a friend who applied to ESAM and got in. They didn't post on GC, and they also don't have a math degree.

ApplMathProfile

Post by ApplMathProfile » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Edited
Last edited by ApplMathProfile on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

ApplMathProfile wrote:
JacobiField wrote:
ApplMathProfile wrote: What was their degree in? I assumed they would admit some non-math grad students seeing as their emphasis is on engineering applications.
Engineering

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Did northwestern send out rej? or only ad?

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 pm

What's going on ?
Three UIUC rejections on gc but no admits.
Are they sending out rejections first ?
Maybe exception for a few people ?
Or did they ask themselves ?
I thought they first admit and then reject.

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Nr wrote:What's going on ?
Don't worry..They will send acceptances also(within two days)..

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

rashomon wrote:
How do you know Rashomon ?

Langlands

Post by Langlands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Even though I knew I was rejected from UIUC (I had enquired) I just received the automated email. I haven't posted it on gradcafe.

"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program and applying to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

I regret to say that your application to our graduate program in mathematics has been denied. We have many qualified applicants each year, and unfortunately are unable to admit many deserving students.

I wish you continued success in your future studies."

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Nr wrote:
rashomon wrote:
How do you know Rashomon ?
Prof. Laugesen told me yesterday that I will get my offer letter within a day or two

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Don't worry..They will send acceptances also(within two days)..[/quote]

How do you know Rashomon ?[/quote]
Prof. Laugesen told me yesterday that I will get my offer letter within a day or two[/quote]

Ahaaaaa
Well that's convincing ...
from the boss himself...
So, let's see how things turn out

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Today I got a rejection email form UIUC. I did not post of GradCafe (yet).

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm

I emailed a school and asked about my status. They said that I am "near the top of the wait list." It's pretty much my top option, all things considered. Any advice on if there's anything I can do to boost my consideration? I am visiting someone at the law school in the same uni in a few weeks--does anyone think it would be worthwhile to try to meet with the admissions chair?

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:22 pm

Langlands wrote:Even though I knew I was rejected from UIUC (I had enquired) I just received the automated email. I haven't posted it on gradcafe.

"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program and applying to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

I regret to say that your application to our graduate program in mathematics has been denied. We have many qualified applicants each year, and unfortunately are unable to admit many deserving students.

I wish you continued success in your future studies."
I hate those standard pool story mails ...

kar

Post by kar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Does anyone know if Michigan sent out acceptances to their applied math ph.d. program (AIM) yet? There are a lot of acceptances to Michigan for mathematics on grad cafe, but I haven't seen any specifically for AIM ph.d.. I know Michigan is having a recruitment weekend soon, so I would think people should have heard by now or will very soon.

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:I emailed a school and asked about my status. They said that I am "near the top of the wait list." It's pretty much my top option, all things considered. Any advice on if there's anything I can do to boost my consideration? I am visiting someone at the law school in the same uni in a few weeks--does anyone think it would be worthwhile to try to meet with the admissions chair?
That's somehow my question too.
I'm somehow stuck on the fine line between enthusiastic and annoying

I think it's a good idea to talk if you have something interesting to talk about, something new, ...
(maybe you've done something in the meantime or maybe you take a closer look at the professors research interests and talk about it or something else)
but just going without anything specific in mind ...

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:I emailed a school and asked about my status. They said that I am "near the top of the wait list." It's pretty much my top option, all things considered. Any advice on if there's anything I can do to boost my consideration? I am visiting someone at the law school in the same uni in a few weeks--does anyone think it would be worthwhile to try to meet with the admissions chair?
I personally wouldn't do it. It seems pretty transparent.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

There is nothing wrong with asking to view the department.

Alternatively, you could send a quick email and be direct:
Professor X,

I was wondering if you could comment further on my chances of admission. Your university is my top choice, and I would likely accept an offer from your school quickly upon receipt. If it has any affect, this is certainly something I would like the admissions committee to know. On the other hand, if admission seems unlikely, I would focus more time studying up on universities further down my list.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply,
John Doe

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:32 pm

nico wrote:
virgo wrote:@nico did you hear from Cornell?
Ha...I wish. Congrats on UCSD BTW. Its my dream school but its looking less likely that I'll get in.. What r u going for? Like what area?
I don't think it's very unlikely that you'll get in. I know that several of the people who were accepted got fellowship offers so it could be that they're only accepting fellowship students for now. They have a big department so I'm sure they'll make more offers. I'm going into Analysis.

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Has anyone been accepted into Cornell? I wonder how much longer they're going to be stringing us along. They did send out a wave of rejections.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:37 pm

If you got in, how are you hearing from Prof. Laugesen at UIUC? Did he start the correspondence, or did you email him first? I'm wondering if I should ask him or just wait it out. UIUC is one of my top choices.
Last edited by rmg512 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 pm

rmg512 wrote:How are you all hearing from Prof. Laugesen at UIUC? Did he start the correspondence, or did you email him first? I'm wondering if I should ask him or just wait it out. UIUC is one of my top choices.
I did not inquire ahead of time. I got a generic 3-line rejection email from him.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:23 pm

why is school so silence today

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Who has heard back from Vanderbilt?

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 pm

IIIII wrote:Who has heard back from Vanderbilt?
Me. I was rejected. I think they're done with their offers and are now sending out all of the rejections. I'm already into two great programs, so I don't really care about Vandy.

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm

So it seems like a lot of people got UIUC rejections today. There are also the people who got the second round email a while back. Is there anyone else out there like me who has heard absolutely nothing? No second round email, no rejection email.

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Did anyone hear anything from AMSC today?

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

generic_username wrote:So it seems like a lot of people got UIUC rejections today. There are also the people who got the second round email a while back. Is there anyone else out there like me who has heard absolutely nothing? No second round email, no rejection email.
Yep, me !!!

I have no clue either. I am sure there are others

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Has anyone heard back anything from Caltech or Berkeley for pure math? Acceptance, rejection, wait list, anything? The only thing I have heard is Berkeley asking for me to send my tax info to justify an application fee waiver. I wish they would just say no already instead of making me wait forever first. :(

korean

Post by korean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:34 pm

I fall in the same category concerning UIUC(Have heard nothing).

I am also wondering about caltech.. What about Yale any rejections yet?

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm

rejected from UIUC and UT Austin. so i'm now 0 for 3.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:18 pm

JacobiField wrote:Did anyone hear anything from AMSC today?
I have not heard anything yet. BTW I see that Rutgers-New Brunswick has already made it's admits, do you guys think I should send them an email regarding my status? I have seen that some students have done this and have received rejections but at this point in time I think I would be willing to risk it. What do you guys think?

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:22 pm

They did not lose my transcript, I have not gotten into several "better" schools, and I was not sick during the subject test.
Anyone on here post this? Whoever you are, I admire you. :D

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm

jdesilva wrote:
They did not lose my transcript, I have not gotten into several "better" schools, and I was not sick during the subject test.
I was wondering the same thing. Props to whoever posted that.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 pm

1lovingsister wrote:
jdesilva wrote:
I might have an idea of who that was. ;)

DiscreteGuy

Post by DiscreteGuy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Also haven't heard anything from UIUC. Though given the recent round of rejections, that may be a blessing in disguise.
marco wrote:
I have not heard anything yet. BTW I see that Rutgers-New Brunswick has already made it's admits, do you guys think I should send them an email regarding my status? I have seen that some students have done this and have received rejections but at this point in time I think I would be willing to risk it. What do you guys think?
Rutgers was my top choice, and I had the same dilemma. I decided to just get it over with/ask, and in the end, I'm glad I did. Starting to really fall in love with some other places.

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm

IIIII wrote:
1lovingsister wrote:
Some people really were sick during the subject test. I had bronchitis for nearly a month before the exam. I will scan my doctor's note when I post my profile :P . To be fair I was almost back to normal on test day, although the illness did affect my endurance and preparation.

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:49 pm

broken_symlink wrote:rejected from UIUC and UT Austin. so i'm now 0 for 3.
When were you rejected from Austin?

marco

Post by marco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:52 pm

DiscreteGuy wrote:Also haven't heard anything from UIUC. Though given the recent round of rejections, that may be a blessing in disguise.
marco wrote:
Rutgers was my top choice, and I had the same dilemma. I decided to just get it over with/ask, and in the end, I'm glad I did. Starting to really fall in love with some other places.
Totally sent the email. Let's see what they say :shock: .

virgo

Post by virgo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm

marco wrote:
Totally sent the email. Let's see what they say :shock: .
I want to do the same thing for Cornell but I'm too nervous :shock: . Good luck to you!!!

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 pm

I think by the time I get back all my responses my browser will refuse to ever refresh a page again.

waiting512

Post by waiting512 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I didn't get an email from Vanderbilt. Can someone post the content of the email? I guess I am on the waitlist? I applied to Pure Math.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm

@virgo: Good luck to you too!

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

virgo wrote:
IIIII wrote:
1lovingsister wrote:
Some people really were sick during the subject test. I had bronchitis for nearly a month before the exam. I will scan my doctor's note when I post my profile :P . To be fair I was almost back to normal on test day, although the illness did affect my endurance and preparation.
My point is not to criticize any individual. Sincerely, I do not doubt you were ill or that it can have an impact on test scores. So you are not really the target of the joke.

Yet, collectively there seem to be a disproportionate number of excuses, mitigating circumstances, etc. And it is interesting how one's opinion about a school may change after admission decisions. It seems people are so willing to grab onto anything that might explain why they got rejected, but refuse to buy into the idea that schools really do look at applications holistically.

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I agree with the point IIIII is making. I am an example of how some schools DO look at applications holistically. I BOMBED the Math GRE completely. In fact, I have not seen anyone who scored lower than me. I have no excuses or even any explanations. I'm just grateful that UIUC looked past the score and saw the value in the rest of my fairly strong application package. It does make getting the rejections a little easier though, as opposed to someone without any giant holes in their application...because it's obvious why no school would want me.

Nr

Post by Nr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Based on gc it seems that only US students got rejection letters from UIUC.
I can't see any international student
Could it be that they reject international and american in two separate waves ?