Math Programs and Recruitment Weekends

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aherring

Math Programs and Recruitment Weekends

Post by aherring » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 am

In my (excessive) exploration of the gradcafe forums, I have heard lots of people (perhaps predominantly physical science people) talk about expenses paid recruitment weekends. My question is are these common in our field (esp. Pure Mathematics?) There is some discussion that some of these serve as a way to recruit almost certain admits and make one final check that said admits are not crackpots, and others serve as another round of competition via formal interviews.
I am applying to
Texas Austin, Utah, UIC, UPenn, UCSD, and Arizona with an interest in arithmetic geometry.
Does anyone have any idea whether (broadly) this is common practice in math, and (specifically) whether this is common practice at any of these schools?
Thanks in advance

waiting512

Re: Math Programs and Recruitment Weekends

Post by waiting512 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm

From my experience, it seems that very few schools have interviews for pure math in general. The only ones I know that are consistent about them are Penn State and Vanderbilt. I would look on Grad Cafe and see if any of those schools historically have had interviews, but if I had to guess I would assume that they do not.

apollo

Post by apollo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:02 pm

UT is having an open house for recruitment. They are paying for transportation and housing for the admits. I don't know about other grad schools.

moduli

Post by moduli » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm

UT is having an open house for recruitment. They are paying for transportation and housing for the admits. I don't know about other grad schools.
@apollo Did someone from the math department say they would pay for transportation and housing? Because in my case they said there were no funds available.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:15 am

Carnegie Mellon Math offered to pay for my domestic fares + 2 nights accommodation. sadly, i'm an international and i'm working on my thesis so i don't have the luxury of time. Plus I have yet to hear from 2 other schools so...

atomspatz

Post by atomspatz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 am

Duke has scheduled a "recruitment weekend" for late March, expenses paid. There are no interviews, or anything of the sort, involved.