Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
virgo

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by virgo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Last week was terrible: 3 rejections and 0 acceptances. I only have 3 lottery tickets left so hopefully it will be good news from here on out.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:50 pm

torelli wrote:For Wisconsin, anyone who hasn't heard back is still under consideration, though they won't make any moves before first-round admits decline their offers.
Thanks! do you know if that means we are on some sort of a waiting list or that they still have some more openings to fill yet to be decided?

torelli

Post by torelli » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:02 pm

math_applicant wrote:Thanks! do you know if that means we are on some sort of a waiting list or that they still have some more openings to fill yet to be decided?
I think it's the former, as they appear to have made a good number of offers.

virgo

Post by virgo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:26 pm

According to grad cafe, Cornell's decisions were made 2 weeks ago. I wonder whether they have notified people. Obviously, we haven't seen anything on grad cafe yet or on here, but maybe those admitted have just been quiet. If they haven't notified people then I wonder what's keeping them from doing so. I understand that they are busy people but isn't it in their best interest to get it over with?

be361616

Post by be361616 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 pm

virgo wrote:According to grad cafe, Cornell's decisions were made 2 weeks ago. I wonder whether they have notified people. Obviously, we haven't seen anything on grad cafe yet or on here, but maybe those admitted have just been quiet. If they haven't notified people then I wonder what's keeping them from doing so. I understand that they are busy people but isn't it in their best interest to get it over with?
I guess they r waiting for response from those admitted and then later decide whether to send more acceptance. But at least they could send some rejections first and keep the rest as "still under review" or waitlisted.

is2718

Post by is2718 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 pm

virgo wrote:According to grad cafe, Cornell's decisions were made 2 weeks ago. I wonder whether they have notified people. Obviously, we haven't seen anything on grad cafe yet or on here, but maybe those admitted have just been quiet. If they haven't notified people then I wonder what's keeping them from doing so. I understand that they are busy people but isn't it in their best interest to get it over with?

There are other possible explanations for releasing information later than one has made decisions. One possibility might be that they are waiting to stamp out the details of financial offers, and they do not want to contact admitted students without financial information.
Last edited by is2718 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 am

rashomon wrote:
1lovingsister wrote:
rashomon wrote:today grad director of uiuc promised me to give an offer with full ta and tuition waver..but he said that he first need to apply for an exemption from university's requirement for a 4 years bachelor..can anyone tell me something about this? I mean..is it always granted?
If you're talking about Dr. Laugesen, then I bet he's going to get the exemption for you. I've met him several times and have corresponded with him since last November. I don't think he would have promised something he couldn't guarantee. I also got an unofficial acceptance from him soon after my application was submitted to UIUC and got the official offer only a couple of weeks later! :D
Ya,I agree..He was very nice..may I know your field of interest?also r u considering going to UIUC?
I am interested in low dimensional geometry, geometric analysis, and low dimensional topology type stuff. For instance, I have talked to Dr. Albin a few times and think he is doing some pretty interesting stuff. I already have one published paper, but its more operator algebra/non-commutative algebras/graph algebra type stuff, so I'm really open-minded at this point. I am definitely seriously considering UIUC. I have the last post on the Acceptance/Rejection thread and if you check it out you'll see that many of the other schools I applied to are quite a reach (I didn't apply to my safety schools after I got accepted by UIUC). Plus, the people I've met from there have been awesome and I've already been nominated for a graduate fellowship in addition to a TA-ship.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Based on past years data (from The Grad Cafe), I believe the following programs will be sending decisions in the next week:

Brown - DAM
Notre Dame - AMSC
Minnesota
Yale - Applied
Maryland - AMSC
Indiana
North Carolina
Vanderbilt
Michigan - AIM

I do not have "inside" information. These are merely predictions based on some data.

Good luck everyone!

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 pm

IIIII wrote:Based on past years data (from The Grad Cafe), I believe the following programs will be sending decisions in the next week:

Brown - DAM
Notre Dame - AMSC
Minnesota
Yale - Applied
Maryland - AMSC
Indiana
North Carolina
Vanderbilt
Michigan - AIM

I do not have "inside" information. These are merely predictions based on some data.

Good luck everyone!

You should have added UIUC ...

nico

Post by nico » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey has anyone heard anything from Univ. Washington in Seattle or UCSD? All the results seem to be for applied but there's nothing on the grad cafe about pure.... ahhh do u guys think they might post some results soon?

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:22 pm

nico wrote:Hey has anyone heard anything from Univ. Washington in Seattle or UCSD? All the results seem to be for applied but there's nothing on the grad cafe about pure.... ahhh do u guys think they might post some results soon?
Well last year WashU sent you results first week of March (pure math). So maybe in 2 weeks or something like that (I really don't think they will send out results later than last year as no other uni is doing something like that)

marco

Post by marco » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:53 pm

What about:

Duke
Rutgers
University of Arizona?

If I haven't received anything should I be worried?

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 pm

I did not mean to imply that my list should be treated as an extensive list. Those were just a few that I am watching closely and believe will send their first wave next week.

-UIUC will be making a lot of decisions "by the end of the month". It could be this week. I think most admits so far are informal.
-Rutgers has already sent several acceptances. Last year it seemed the vast majority of PhD admits were in the first round. I think the majority of their offers have already been made.
-Duke has been trickling out decisions ad hoc, it seems. Based on the number of posts on TheGradCafe last year, I think half or a little more of the admissions have already been offered.
-Arizona has already sent out several admissions. The past couple years, admission dates have been all over the board.
-Washington (Seattle) has only sent out applied offers. Last year most offers and rejections came at the end of February or first few days of March.

I also think, it largely depends when each subcommittee has finished looking at applications. For instance, perhaps offers for students interested in analysis have been sent. But admits for algebra for the same school have not been sent. Some schools like to send them out more uniformly. It is difficult to predict. But such prognostication helps us pass the time...

y45askel

Post by y45askel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:28 pm

To those accepted to OSU- what was the deadline they gave you to tell them if you were going to their school or not?

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 pm

I'd be surprised if Cornell didn't send stuff out next week.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:51 pm

My status for OSU still reads incomplete. Anybody else still having this issue? I am slightly concerned, because I have heard of several other offers of admission already and felt confident that I would get an offer from OSU.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 pm

y45askel wrote:To those accepted to OSU- what was the deadline they gave you to tell them if you were going to their school or not?
April 15th.

allin1

Post by allin1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 pm

IIIII wrote:My status for OSU still reads incomplete. Anybody else still having this issue? I am slightly concerned, because I have heard of several other offers of admission already and felt confident that I would get an offer from OSU.

Same here. I think that whether there will be more offers from OSU depends on acceptances of the offers they sent out already, meaning either we might get acceptance anytime or a rejection by April 15th.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I think the list is really reasonable. From the response of Notre Dame Applied on Friday, I have also had a feeling that they are sending out their decisions next week.

sananelan

Post by sananelan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by sananelan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Finally the week, I have been waiting for for one month is upon us.
Now everything will be over soon !!! Very soon
Finally !!!

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Nr wrote:Finally the week, I have been waiting for for one month is upon us.
Now everything will be over soon !!! Very soon
Finally !!!
You don't know that. I've been waiting for Cornell (one of my top choices) for 2 weeks.

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Broke up with my boyfriend today so hopefully this week isn't super shitty.

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

virgo wrote:Broke up with my boyfriend today so hopefully this week isn't super shitty.
Sorry to hear that ... :(

But no I'm sure.
I just have one place left basically and this is UIUC ...
and they WILL announce this week
so yeah, that's it !!!

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:Broke up with my boyfriend today so hopefully this week isn't super shitty.

But no I'm sure.
so yeah, that's it !!!
It's ok. Good luck to you!

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 pm

virgo wrote:
Nr wrote:

But no I'm sure.
so yeah, that's it !!!
It's ok. Good luck to you!

Seriously, I don't care anymore.
I highly doubt I will make it.
I just want my result so that I don't have to wait anymore.

Hopefully you have a good week which makes up for this bad start ...

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Nr wrote:

I'm looking at your profile and it's actually really good. You are international so that sucks. However, I don't see why you think your chances are slim.

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 pm

virgo wrote:
Nr wrote:

I'm looking at your profile and it's actually really good. You are international so that sucks. However, I don't see why you think your chances are slim.
Because of something called experience
terrible thing.
You will have it, when the all the results are out.
Although I hope it won't be as terrible for you as it was for me. haha :D

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:
Nr wrote:

terrible thing.
Although I hope it won't be as terrible for you as it was for me. haha :D
To be fair I have been admitted into 2 top 20 programs so far and I had a really shitty gre score so my experience hasn't been that bad.

Nr

Post by Nr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 pm

I'm looking at your profile and it's actually really good. You are international so that sucks. However, I don't see why you think your chances are slim.[/quote]

terrible thing.
Although I hope it won't be as terrible for you as it was for me. haha :D[/quote]
To be fair I have been admitted into 2 top 20 programs so far and I had a really shitty gre score so my experience hasn't been that bad.[/quote]

Great !!! :D
So, I suppose you're just waiting for Cornell's decision and then you're finished, right ?
Anyway, happy to hear that.
I hope you have a lot of fun next year, wherever you chose to go :D

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 am

So i'm sure everyone has that one school they can't wait to hear back from. For me, it's UIUC, the top school left that I somewhat kinda maybe have a small chance to get into. What are y'alls?

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 am

I would REALLY like to hear back from Caltech. I spent a great summer there in the MURF program and one of my undergraduate mentors did his Ph.D. there under Danny Calegari (whose research fascinates me). Even if I get a no (which I probably will) I'd rather have that, then be kept in suspense. I already got accepted to UIUC and since MIT and Caltech were the only schools I would choose over UIUC (and I already got rejected by MIT) it's really down to Caltech. Although, come to think of it, I'm biting my nails a bit over Rutgers, too, because people are already getting their acceptances from them and I think the research that Chris Woodward is doing is awesome. Plus, I spent an epic summer of research there this past summer.

marco

Post by marco » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 am

@Nr: Despite being international I think you have a strong enough profile to get accepted somewhere. Hopefully UIUC or UT Austin works out for you.

Nr

Post by Nr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 am

marco wrote:@Nr: Despite being international I think you have a strong enough profile to get accepted somewhere. Hopefully UIUC or UT Austin works out for you.
Thank you Marco, let's see ...
I don't think Austin takes many wait lists (come on how many people decline Austin, right ? )

marco

Post by marco » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 am

Deleted.
Last edited by marco on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nr

Post by Nr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:15 am

marco wrote:Well this is a somewhat narrow yet optimistic response but I would say: Those who have been accepted to the other 13 schools who have ranked higher than UT Austin (according to USNews). I guess what I am trying to say is that it does happen :P .
Haha
I really like your optimism :D

marco

Post by marco » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 am

I wish you the best of luck :P . I really hope you get into UIUC or UT Austin, they are both extraordinary schools.

Nr

Post by Nr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:34 am

marco wrote:I wish you the best of luck :P . I really hope you get into UIUC or UT Austin, they are both extraordinary schools.
Thanks.
I wish you too best of luck ...
for every place you want to get into !!!

ReneMagritte

Post by ReneMagritte » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:52 am

y45askel wrote:To those accepted to OSU- what was the deadline they gave you to tell them if you were going to their school or not?
The deadline for most schools should be April 15th per the following resolution: http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfile ... lution.pdf

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

I contact Yale for applied math, they already made the decisions.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm

dangxing wrote:I contact Yale for applied math, they already made the decisions.
Now instead of checking my email every 5 minutes, I will check every 3 minutes. :|

torelli

Post by torelli » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Last edited by torelli on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Everytime I get on my computer, it's the same routine. First, check email: nothing. Then, very very fearfully check gradcafe assuming decisions came out and other people got accepted and my lack of email is due to the fact that I didn't get in: nothing there either. Then facebook and repeat.

virgo

Post by virgo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:41 pm

generic_username wrote:So i'm sure everyone has that one school they can't wait to hear back from. For me, it's UIUC, the top school left that I somewhat kinda maybe have a small chance to get into. What are y'alls?
You got into Rutgers didn't you? Isn't Rutgers about as good as UIUC? Or is it because you want to have options?

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 pm

virgo wrote:
generic_username wrote:So i'm sure everyone has that one school they can't wait to hear back from. For me, it's UIUC, the top school left that I somewhat kinda maybe have a small chance to get into. What are y'alls?
You got into Rutgers didn't you? Isn't Rutgers about as good as UIUC? Or is it because you want to have options?
They are ranked similarly, but have different focuses and, of course, Rutgers is much nearer the coast, NYC, Boston, etc. (which is why I'd like to hear back from them as well).

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 pm

virgo wrote:
I did get into Rutgers. I would like to have options. I do not know which I would prefer yet as I have not visited either and will probably put a fair amount of my decision into visits.

virgo

Post by virgo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:26 pm

generic_username wrote:
virgo wrote:
I did get into Rutgers. I would like to have options. I do not know which I would prefer yet as I have not visited either and will probably put a fair amount of my decision into visits.
Lol, maybe we will meet at the Rutgers open house.

atomspatz

Post by atomspatz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Just got an acceptance from Duke, following an email saying my decision status had been updated. I have no idea what their timeline is.

virgo

Post by virgo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm

1lovingsister wrote:
virgo wrote:
They are ranked similarly, but have different focuses and, of course, Rutgers is much nearer the coast, NYC, Boston, etc. (which is why I'd like to hear back from them as well).
If you did research there then I'm sure you have a shot.

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm

@virgo

Hopefully. I'm not sure if I'm able to make it to their open house yet.