Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mindreader

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by mindreader » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Gasquet wrote:
mindreader wrote:well i presume you are a tennis fan...i keep myself distracted from admissions stuff thru thesis and tennis
Same here. To whatever extent it works.
Watching/playing? Favourite player(s)? Mine should be painfully obvious.
novak djokovic, grigor dimitrov, maria sharapova, and petra kvitova...currently watching WTA Qatar total open

@virgo:glad nadal's back but i'm sick of his complaints

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Graduate school application is so painful, yet enjoyable. I believe everyone will be fine in the end, so don't worry guys.
Last edited by cooltrainer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 pm

agmnu wrote:Did anyone get admit call from Florida State University? It is probably too early because their deadline was 1st Feb.
But still, logic takes a dump when we are waiting for the application results :(
I applied there but I have not received any reply yet. According to the gradecafe, I think they would send the first round of their admissions in the next few days. I hope we get admitted there.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 pm

@virgo:
I'm not a Nadal fan, but just like mindreader, I am glad he is back and already sick of his and Toni's complaints. His loss in Vina del Mar does not mean anything. It is too early to say. I would think that he will still be the favourite for everything he enters in the clay season but will not have anywhere near as good a clay season as the last year.
I still try to follow even the 250s, especially when one of my favourite player is playing. Dubai has a very strong field(as always), and the Rotterdam field is reasonably good too.

@mindreader: a fellow Dimitrov fan :D

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:39 am

Can't do math well with 2 rejections and no acceptances... Same problems any one?

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 am

Gasquet wrote:@virgo:
I'm not a Nadal fan, but just like mindreader, I am glad he is back and already sick of his and Toni's complaints. His loss in Vina del Mar does not mean anything. It is too early to say. I would think that he will still be the favourite for everything he enters in the clay season but will not have anywhere near as good a clay season as the last year.
I still try to follow even the 250s, especially when one of my favourite player is playing. Dubai has a very strong field(as always), and the Rotterdam field is reasonably good too.

@mindreader: a fellow Dimitrov fan :D
I mostly follow the WTA tour but during slams I try to watch a couple of men's matches as well. I like the WTA tour better because of the grunting lol. also women's matches are shorter which fits my schedule better

PNT

Post by PNT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:08 am

Does anyone know anything about the sudden spate of UMass Amherst admits? They all seem to be domestic as well.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am

February 15th - "D" Day (i.e. Decision Day)

-15th is mid-month (an aesthetically nice day)
-Friday
-disproportionately small number of decisions yesterday (Valentine's)
-historically this week many decisions come out

Good luck everyone! I think this will be a busy day.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 am

IIIII wrote:February 15th - "D" Day (i.e. Decision Day)

-Friday

"D" day is not a very lucky name, isn't it? may be call it the "A" day (i.e. Answers Day or better Acceptance Day) for good luck :D

good luck for everyone!

Nr

Post by Nr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am

math_applicant wrote:
IIIII wrote:February 15th - "D" Day (i.e. Decision Day)

-Friday

"D" day is not a very lucky name, isn't it? may be call it the "A" day (i.e. Answers Day or better Acceptance Day) for good luck :D

good luck for everyone!
Yeah A-day is better than D-day
D-day gives me a WWII feeling

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

Brace yourselves :P !

ajrasmus

Post by ajrasmus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 am

PNT wrote:Does anyone know anything about the sudden spate of UMass Amherst admits? They all seem to be domestic as well.
I was admitted last night. $17,692/year. I'm guessing this was their first round of domestic acceptances.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:48 am

Rejection from my dream school, Princeton PACM.
Kind of expected, I guess.

@algebraicallyminded: same here.

sananelan

Post by sananelan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Another Silent Day...

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm

I am a bit of a paranoid parrot, so I have not posted a full applicant profile elsewhere. But during the past two weeks here are my results:

Last week:
Kansas - Accepted with TA

Earlier This Week:
Texas (Applied) - Rejected
Colorado at Boulder (Applied) - Accepted with TA

Today:
Princeton (PACM) - Rejected
Kentucky - Accepted with TA, nominated for Fellowship

Still waiting to hear back from the majority though...

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 pm

IIIII wrote:I am a bit of a paranoid parrot, so I have not posted a full applicant profile elsewhere. But during the past two weeks here are my results:

Last week:

Earlier This Week:

Today:

Congrat. I applied to Kentucky but I did not heard back any news, I think this means that I am not accepted.

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm

today grad director of uiuc promised me to give an offer with full ta and tuition waver..but he said that he first need to apply for an exemption from university's requirement for a 4 years bachelor..can anyone tell me something about this? I mean..is it always granted?

torelli

Post by torelli » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Rashamon, I'm sure he wouldn't promise you any offer if he wasn't certain that he could get you that exemption.
Last edited by torelli on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm

So I called Cornell Applied Math to ask about my admission status and they said they were still processing over 200 applications and they could not give out decisions over the phone.
Stony Brook Applied Math told me they were going to send out their decisions in mid March. Notre Dame Applied Math said they still has not sent out their first-round offers yet but there is one acceptance on gradcafe.

Anyone knows anything about Rice Applied Math and Notre Dame Applied Math, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by cooltrainer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

MathKS wrote:
IIIII wrote:I am a bit of a paranoid parrot, so I have not posted a full applicant profile elsewhere. But during the past two weeks here are my results:

Last week:

Earlier This Week:

Today:

Congrat. I applied to Kentucky but I did not heard back any news, I think this means that I am not accepted.
I would not assume that so quickly. No one else has posted anything about Kentucky. Also, the email he sent me was highly personalized, and I was nominated for a fellowship. Plus my research interests are similar to the graduate director's. So I think you still should have some hope. All of this is to say that I think I may have been the first (or nearly the first) person to hear back from Kentucky. :)

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm

IIIII wrote:
MathKS wrote:

Last week:

Earlier This Week:

Today:

I would not assume that so quickly. No one else has posted anything about Kentucky. Also, the email he sent me was highly personalized, and I was nominated for a fellowship. Plus my research interests are similar to the graduate director's. So I think you still should have some hope. All of this is to say that I think I may have been the first (or nearly the first) person to hear back from Kentucky. :)
I hope that!! Congrat. again for your acceptance.

x74zz

Post by x74zz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm

MathKS wrote:
IIIII wrote:
MathKS wrote:

I hope that!! Congrat. again for your acceptance.
I also received an acceptance from Kentucky today. However, I also received a fellowship nomination, so maybe they're doing prospective fellowship applicants first? Either way, you're definitely not rejected yet; don't give up hope too soon!

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 pm

x74zz wrote: I also received an acceptance from Kentucky today. However, I also received a fellowship nomination, so maybe they're doing prospective fellowship applicants first? Either way, you're definitely not rejected yet; don't give up hope too soon!
I have heard from professors (and have noticed from review of TheGradCafe) that often times a "fellowship" round of offers comes out first, even before the first round of TAs/RAs. So this could very well be the case at UK.

TheYoungin

Post by TheYoungin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

I haven't heard from any schools in a week.

Also, will anybody be visiting Courant on March 1st? I think a mathematicsgre.com meet up could be arranged for those of us that are visiting.

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Director's message from my dream school:

"Your strong application is still under consideration. We sent out an initial batch of offers already, and should have a decision for you within two weeks. As always, space is tight for algebra/number theory, which is a concern for us as a small department."

Is this hopeful? It started hopeful but then in the end suggested a very low acceptance rate for the alg/nt group. This message does not go away from my brain, and it is very difficult to think about mathematics every single day.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:32 pm

The only news I have heard from the 10 schools I applied to is a rejection from Uni of Wash at Seattle. Given that schools have been giving out offers over the last 2 weeks, this does not bode well for me... :cry:

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Legendre wrote:The only news I have heard from the 10 schools I applied to is a rejection from Uni of Wash at Seattle. Given that schools have been giving out offers over the last 2 weeks, this does not bode well for me... :cry:
Did you apply for pure math? I applied to U Wash too but haven't gotten any response. Cheer up. I thought about these rejections a lot but as long as we pursue in doing mathematics, since we know what to study, I believe anyone has a way to become a good mathematician.

BYA

Post by BYA » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm

algebraicallyminded wrote:Director's message from my dream school:

"Your strong application is still under consideration. We sent out an initial batch of offers already, and should have a decision for you within two weeks. As always, space is tight for algebra/number theory, which is a concern for us as a small department."

Is this hopeful? It started hopeful but then in the end suggested a very low acceptance rate for the alg/nt group. This message does not go away from my brain, and it is very difficult to think about mathematics every single day.
@algebraicallyminded, which university is that? PM me if you want.

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Ill be visiting Courant on their open house day. A meet up is an awesome idea

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 pm

BYA wrote:
algebraicallyminded wrote:Director's message from my dream school:

@algebraicallyminded, which university is that? PM me if you want.
It's Brown. I should've said "one of my dream schools" as I have not applied to any "safety schools"!

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

So in conclusion my day was like:

Princeton: Rejected. Expected but still sucked.
UT Austin: Still under consideration. Ok.

Good luck for next week!

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:29 am

rashomon wrote:today grad director of uiuc promised me to give an offer with full ta and tuition waver..but he said that he first need to apply for an exemption from university's requirement for a 4 years bachelor..can anyone tell me something about this? I mean..is it always granted?
What is this requirement for a 4 years bachelor (i.e. why wouldn't you fulfill it)?

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 am

jdesilva wrote:
rashomon wrote:today grad director of uiuc promised me to give an offer with full ta and tuition waver..but he said that he first need to apply for an exemption from university's requirement for a 4 years bachelor..can anyone tell me something about this? I mean..is it always granted?
What is this requirement for a 4 years bachelor (i.e. why wouldn't you fulfill it)?
bcoz I am doing a 3 years bachelor degree..I know that this rule is there in many us universities..some of them like courant do not even consider ur app unless u r doing a 4 years bachelor/master degree

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:56 am

rashomon wrote:
jdesilva wrote:
bcoz I am doing a 3 years bachelor degree..I know that this rule is there in many us universities..some of them like courant do not even consider ur app unless u r doing a 4 years bachelor/master degree
Ah, so not that you are graduating early, just that the actual degree you are working towards is 3 years?

be361616

Post by be361616 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 am

Any news on Brown DAM? I am really nervous now.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:13 am

jdesilva wrote:
In the UK and most universities in former british colonies, a bachelor's degree runs for only 3 years. the 4th year is usually considered a master's degree. of course the US is a huge exception as well as Canada. Australia and NZ and perhaps some schools in india observe this.

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:58 am

Ah :) Learned something new today! Thanks for filling me in, hope everything works out with you and UIUC! They are some of the friendliest people.

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 am

If you're talking about Dr. Laugesen, then I bet he's going to get the exemption for you. I've met him several times and have corresponded with him since last November. I don't think he would have promised something he couldn't guarantee. I also got an unofficial acceptance from him soon after my application was submitted to UIUC and got the official offer only a couple of weeks later! :D

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 am

anyone got any idea if wisconsin (pure math) is done sending offers ? I emailed them and only got the automatic kind of reply that they are still making decisions and it might take several weeks. does that mean they are waiting for first round admits to accept/reject their offers or are they going to make further offers (may be without the promised extra first year fellowship that most first round got) ? :?

torelli

Post by torelli » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 am

For Wisconsin, anyone who hasn't heard back is still under consideration, though they won't make any moves before first-round admits decline their offers.

holomorphic

Post by holomorphic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 am

I currently have offer from both UIUC and Wisconsin, and I have a dilemma over which one to choose. I belive they're both good schools, and I'm interested in analysis/PDE in general at the moment.

I hope I can make decision soon so that more offer can be given to those who are still waiting to get to those schools.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 am

holomorphic wrote:I currently have offer from both UIUC and Wisconsin, and I have a dilemma over which one to choose. I belive they're both good schools, and I'm interested in analysis/PDE in general at the moment.

I hope I can make decision soon so that more offer can be given to those who are still waiting to get to those schools.
Hi holomorphic, just curious, are you from NUS?

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 am

1lovingsister wrote:
If you're talking about Dr. Laugesen, then I bet he's going to get the exemption for you. I've met him several times and have corresponded with him since last November. I don't think he would have promised something he couldn't guarantee. I also got an unofficial acceptance from him soon after my application was submitted to UIUC and got the official offer only a couple of weeks later! :D
Ya,I agree..He was very nice..may I know your field of interest?also r u considering going to UIUC?

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 pm

algebraicallyminded wrote: Did you apply for pure math? I applied to U Wash too but haven't gotten any response. Cheer up. I thought about these rejections a lot but as long as we pursue in doing mathematics, since we know what to study, I believe anyone has a way to become a good mathematician.
Applied Mathematics. I suppose being a public university they don't have much slots/funds for international students.

be361616

Post by be361616 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I can help with any questions regarding UIUC, like faculty, research interest. :lol:

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:42 pm

holomorphic wrote:I currently have offer from both UIUC and Wisconsin, and I have a dilemma over which one to choose. I belive they're both good schools, and I'm interested in analysis/PDE in general at the moment.

Ask Prof. Seeger in Wisconsin for your concern!
He is always very helpful for those questions and he's a good analyst.

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Legendre wrote:
algebraicallyminded wrote: Did you apply for pure math? I applied to U Wash too but haven't gotten any response. Cheer up. I thought about these rejections a lot but as long as we pursue in doing mathematics, since we know what to study, I believe anyone has a way to become a good mathematician.
Applied Mathematics. I suppose being a public university they don't have much slots/funds for international students.
Yep. Wish I knew earlier. I would've applied Rice and Emory, which I didn't!

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 pm

have you gotten your financial offer from Wisconsin? I have heard from many students who thought about going there (or went there) and the stipend was absolutely terribly in regards to Madison.

JonMLTR

Post by JonMLTR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Let me share my input here.

Before my applications I got in touch with poi's in several universities. Now that it is mid February I have tried to get in touch with 3 of them.
I didn't get any response from 2 of them including one who told me that I had a very strong application. I am not only upset but also lost all my hope of acceptance. I expected at least the decency to reply saying it is "unlikely or impossible", now instead I will wait for them to mail the decision and probably it will take a month and will be a rejection.

It is mid February and I have received one rejection and nothing else. Two of the programs had a few interviews on grad cafe and I believe since I have not been interviewed (which is not a necessary part of application) I assume those are rejections too.

I can't sleep, I can't concentrate on research.

Some people are really lucky...

algebraicallyminded

Post by algebraicallyminded » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:37 pm

JonMLTR wrote:Let me share my input here.

Before my applications I got in touch with poi's in several universities. Now that it is mid February I have tried to get in touch with 3 of them.
I didn't get any response from 2 of them including one who told me that I had a very strong application. I am not only upset but also lost all my hope of acceptance. I expected at least the decency to reply saying it is "unlikely or impossible", now instead I will wait for them to mail the decision and probably it will take a month and will be a rejection.

It is mid February and I have received one rejection and nothing else. Two of the programs had a few interviews on grad cafe and I believe since I have not been interviewed (which is not a necessary part of application) I assume those are rejections too.

I can't sleep, I can't concentrate on research.

Some people are really lucky...
Cheer up. Are you an international applicant?