I did really bad on the MGRE. Now what?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
TheYoungin

I did really bad on the MGRE. Now what?

Post by TheYoungin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:22 pm

fdf
Last edited by TheYoungin on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendre

Re: I did really bad on the MGRE. Now what?

Post by Legendre » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:55 am

TheYoungin wrote:I am applying to top Applied Math schools, a few of which require the MGRE score and the rest strongly recommend it. I scored 49th percentile in October, but I took the November test and think I did better.

My question: what do I do if I score comparably bad on the November test? Should I forget about applying to the top schools? Or should I withhold my score from them? The rest of my application is very strong.
Did they say MGRE is compulsory? If so, send. If not, withhold.

I did not take the MGRE last cycle and still got interviewed by the ivy league. I did not get in because my research interest wasn't a good fit for the department I applied to. :cry:

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:10 am

Legendre wrote:
TheYoungin wrote:I am applying to top Applied Math schools, a few of which require the MGRE score and the rest strongly recommend it. I scored 49th percentile in October, but I took the November test and think I did better.

My question: what do I do if I score comparably bad on the November test? Should I forget about applying to the top schools? Or should I withhold my score from them? The rest of my application is very strong.
Did they say MGRE is compulsory? If so, send. If not, withhold.

I did not take the MGRE last cycle and still got interviewed by the ivy league. I did not get in because my research interest wasn't a good fit for the department I applied to. :cry:
I am totally unsure how the admissions process works...were all admitted candidates for the PhD program interviewed? Do you mind mentioning which school you're referring to? :) What do they even ask during interviews?

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:28 am

mindreader wrote: I am totally unsure how the admissions process works...were all admitted candidates for the PhD program interviewed? Do you mind mentioning which school you're referring to? :) What do they even ask during interviews?
There are only 8 schools in the ivy league. :)

The interviews I had were chats regarding my research and career goals, and how they may or may fit with the department.