NSF writing instructions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
math_stu

NSF writing instructions

Post by math_stu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi everyone, if there is someone who can help me (or tell me with whom should I contact) I'll be thankful

I'm working now on 2013 NSF GRFP (NSF graduate fellowship) essays, and the instructions are not clear to me. Can I write the essays in LATEX?

Here are the instructions:
a. All essays should be written using standard 8.5" x 11" page size, 12-point, Times New Roman font or 12-point, Computer Modern (LaTex) font, 1" margins on all sides, and must be single spaced or greater. Only publications and presentation citations may be a smaller font, no less than 10 point, Times New Roman or 10-point, Compuer Modern (LaTex). Small type size makes it difficult for reviewers to read the application; consequently, the use of small type not in compliance with the application guidelines may be grounds for NSF to return the application without review.

b. There is a 2-page limit for the Personal Statement Essay, Previous Research Essay, and Proposed Research essays. There is a 1-page limit for the Eligibility Essay (for those having completed greater than 12 months of graduate study). References and citations are included toward the page limits.

c. Character spacing should use normal (100%) single-line space option. Do not condense line spacing or reduce the character spacing scale. Adherence to type size, character spacing, and page length is necessary to ensure that no applicant will have an unfair advantage, by using smaller type or line spacing to provide more text in the application.

d. Images may be included in your essays, however they will be produced only in black and white. All images, footnotes, endnotes, and other citations are included in the 2-page limit.

e. Prepare your response using a word-processor.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by math_stu on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

allemanau

Re: NSF writing instructions

Post by allemanau » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 pm

Can and should, I think. Everyone I know who's applied has done it that way, at least...

math_stu

Re: NSF writing instructions

Post by math_stu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:31 am

Thanks allemanau! The reason for my question is part "e" of the instructions:

e. Prepare your response using a word-processor.

LATEX is a type of word processor?

In addition, do you know if it is okay that I'm using these commands? (in order to write in Times New Roman 12 in LATEX)

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath, amsthm}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{pslatex}
\usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}