ranking range with highest chances

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
math_applicant

ranking range with highest chances

Post by math_applicant » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering if you can advise me on the estimated ranking region for US pure math programs where i might have the best chances (eg top X, mid Y, ... etc). I have an undergrad degree in math and in computer science from a top school in Egypt (3.95/4.0 math gpa, 3.91/4.0 CS gpa), I graduated last year. i have 3 really strong recommendation letters from 3 american professors. my gre quant. is 96th% (still haven't taken the math gre). As for upper level courses, I have taken algebraic geometry, 2 real analysis, complex analysis, formal logic, topology, number theory, abstract algebra, Galois theory. i have 1.5 yrs of research experience in CS but no publications. i am also in my final year of medicine school in cairo university which i studied concurrently with my math and CS program.

I would like to know your opinion regarding my chances given my low reputation school, how high should i be aiming (according to us news ranking for example) and how high should my safety schools be?

thanks a lot for your help

rmg512

Re: ranking range with highest chances

Post by rmg512 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Sadly, I'm going to have to say it really depends on your GRE subject test. I think you may have a very good chance getting into a top 20 US institution (maybe more on the lower end of that list) as you currently stand, though. Public school admission is more forgiving, to my understanding.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:09 pm

thanks for your response. So you think lower end of the top 20 list is only feasible with a good math gre? or would a good (fingers crossed) better the chances?

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

The lower end of the top 20 schools may overlook a low GRE Subject score provided the rest of the application is strong. The upper end almost certainly won't, unfortunately, especially given you are not a domestic applicant.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:29 am

thanks a lot