complex analysis in the math gre

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
slm

complex analysis in the math gre

Post by slm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:58 am

Hey guys,

I'm taking the subject test in April and I am wondering how much work should I put in studying for complex analysis? I haven't taken the course so if I decide to study for it I'd have to start from scratch. I want some opinions on whether it is worth the effort. Thank you.

omgmath

Re: complex analysis in the math gre

Post by omgmath » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:10 am

No, it is not worth it -- I was asked exactly one CA question during my test. Your efforts are better spent elsewhere.

vonLipwig

Post by vonLipwig » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:18 am

There is not a lot of complex analysis in the subject GRE - the amount of stuff to learn is pretty small. (A couple of facts about analytic functions and the Cauchy-Riemann functions were the main things, IIRC). Whether this is worthwhile for the expected gain of maybe a question is up to you =)

A book about the subject GRE syllabus (I used the Princeton one, and it seemed pretty good) will help you study the right things.

arsenalmath

Post by arsenalmath » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 am

Cauchy-Riemann equations and the residue theorem were the complex analysis questions that I had. Just know those and a little bit of how to deal with analytic functions, and that should be fine.

slm

Post by slm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Thank you so much, guys! This is very helpful. :)

gromov

Post by gromov » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

It will literally not change the level of your performance in any non-negligible way unless you really split hairs and are aiming for the topmost score.

However, it is definitely a "free" few questions, as the questions on topics like complex analysis are (as you can yourself see on sample exams) pretty easy.

yoyostein

Post by yoyostein » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi,

I think if you study these three aspects of complex analysis, you should be able to answer the GRE questions:

1) Cauchy-Riemann equations
(i.e. u_x=v_y, u_y=-v_x)

2) Cauchy residue theorem

3) Roots of unity sum up to zero (needed for one GRE question)

Hope it helps!