Cambridge part III tripos

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
danthechub

Cambridge part III tripos

Post by danthechub » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi all, what are your opinions on the math tripos part III program? I got a conditional offer recently, but don't know if it's worth taking the year before grad school as they don't fund students. It might be wiser to go straight into a PhD in the states?

sywisy

Re: Cambridge part III tripos

Post by sywisy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm interested in this too. How competitive is tripos part III? I know 2 people who are doing it, one very smart and the other not, so I don't know how it compares.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:45 pm

How competitive is tripos part III?
It's easy to get into the program, but difficult to get funding for it. I've heard mixed reviews about how worthwhile it is.

gromov

Post by gromov » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:06 am

It is a master's degree. US PhDs technically are designed to have a phase with qualifying exams which effectively serves a similar purpose. But the main difference is that Cambridge Part III just offers lots and lots of classes (though some PhD programs may offer as much) and taking an extra year to explore can be the right decision for some.

I think the program is challenging, and you can sit through plenty of courses that are more intense than courses tend to be in a normal program. But it doesn't seem to be particularly hard to get into.