Austin wait-list email

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dr0ne

Austin wait-list email

Post by dr0ne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi, I received this wait-list email from Austin on February 11. I wanted to know how standard is it? Do you guys think it could mean more than a regular wait-list?
Dear x,
Greetings from the Mathematics Department at the University of Texas. I am writing to inform you that while we cannot offer you admission at this time, there is much interest in your application in our department. We anticipate being able to make additional offers this spring, and you are one of a selected group of applicants that has a legitimate chance of receiving one of these offers.

During this process, I will provide as much information to you as I can. In turn, I ask you to tell us as soon as possible if you are accepting an offer elsewhere --- as a kindness to your fellow applicants currently on the wait-list.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions about this process or our department.

Sincerely,
y.

I also want to know what is, if they were to reject me, the earliest date they are likely to do so and my overall chances of getting accepted.
Last edited by dr0ne on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goombayao

Re: Austin wait-list email

Post by goombayao » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:29 pm

dr0ne wrote:Hi, I received this wait-list email from Austin on February 11. I wanted to know how standard is it? Do you guys think it could mean more than a regular wait-list?
Dear x,
Greetings from the Mathematics Department at the University of Texas. I am writing to inform you that while we cannot offer you admission at this time, there is much interest in your application in our department. We anticipate being able to make additional offers this spring, and you are one of a selected group of applicants that has a legitimate chance of receiving one of these offers.

During this process, I will provide as much information to you as I can. In turn, I ask you to tell us as soon as possible if you are accepting an offer elsewhere --- as a kindness to your fellow applicants currently on the wait-list.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions about this process or our department.

Sincerely,
y.

I also want to know what is, if they were to reject me, the earliest date they are likely to do so and my overall chances of getting accepted.
I would call and ask them on Monday.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 pm

That's exactly the waitlist email I got last year. (except for a preface apologizing for accidentially rejecting me)

Odds are that you are not going to get news on your waitlist status - positive or negative - until April. That's because most first-round admits won't make a commitment until April, so they cannot estimate their turnout until right before the reply deadline.

dr0ne

Post by dr0ne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:38 pm

owlpride wrote:That's exactly the waitlist email I got last year. (except for a preface apologizing for accidentially rejecting me)

Odds are that you are not going to get news on your waitlist status - positive or negative - until April. That's because most first-round admits won't make a commitment until April, so they cannot estimate their turnout until right before the reply deadline.
Well, seeing your 2011 profile and admissions results the fact that I received the same email that you did gives me some hope. Has anybody else received the same email?

Nr

Post by Nr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:38 am

I've received exactly the same mail on the same day.
Seems different but in the end its just another template for wait listing students.
I also don't think that we can expect any answer this month. :(

bemonocled

Post by bemonocled » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Yup, this is also identical to the waitlist email I got. That's a bummer that we probably won't get an update until April - I'd be afraid of accepting an offer fro any school I haven't visited.

talkloud

Post by talkloud » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 pm

So, judging by the wording of the email it seems like those who haven't heard anything from UT yet should just assume they're rejected?

Nr

Post by Nr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm

talkloud wrote:So, judging by the wording of the email it seems like those who haven't heard anything from UT yet should just assume they're rejected?
I don't think so. The waitlists are not announced on one day (it strongly depends on how many persons decline the first round) ...

Last year UT waitlisted students until mid-March...

So, there is still hope :D

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Nr wrote:
talkloud wrote:So, judging by the wording of the email it seems like those who haven't heard anything from UT yet should just assume they're rejected?
I don't think so. The waitlists are not announced on one day (it strongly depends on how many persons decline the first round) ...

Last year UT waitlisted students until mid-March...

So, there is still hope :D
Please tell me your lips are VERY close to God's ears!

arsenalmath

Post by arsenalmath » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am

Has anyone gotten anything from ut-Austin's csem department? I haven't heard anything yet.

goombayao

Post by goombayao » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:06 pm

arsenalmath wrote:Has anyone gotten anything from ut-Austin's csem department? I haven't heard anything yet.
Yes, first round admits are out.

arsenalmath

Post by arsenalmath » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 pm

goombayao wrote:
arsenalmath wrote:Has anyone gotten anything from ut-Austin's csem department? I haven't heard anything yet.

Ahh alright. I never really thought I would get in there anyway, except maybe late off of the wait list!

goombayao

Post by goombayao » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:35 pm

arsenalmath wrote:
goombayao wrote:

Ahh alright. I never really thought I would get in there anyway, except maybe late off of the wait list!
I believe (but can't confirm) that they are still considering students for TA and RA positions.