Waitlists

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mreek

Waitlists

Post by mreek » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm

How should I take getting on a wait list? Since first round offers are going out right now, does that mean I still have a good chance?

I got a waitlist email from UT Austin last night, and I really don't know how disappointed to be.

sywisy

Re: Waitlists

Post by sywisy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:39 pm

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. I was also waitlisted by UT Austin even though I've been accepted to several higher ranked schools and a professor there was vouching for my admission. So the people they did accept are probably not at all likely to be accepting their offer.

betafj

Post by betafj » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm

I got waitlisted by Stanford. How likely is it for people who are accepted by Stanford to choose somewhere else?

kuz

Post by kuz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

betafj wrote:I got waitlisted by Stanford. How likely is it for people who are accepted by Stanford to choose somewhere else?
Join the club ;) Well owlpride got into Stanford last year after initially being rejected, then being waitlisted in early April, so it's certainly possible...

fireandgladstone

Post by fireandgladstone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:27 pm

I don't think owlpride ever got rejected from Stanford. The situation you're describing sounds like what happened with Austin.

kuz

Post by kuz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:18 pm

fireandgladstone wrote:I don't think owlpride ever got rejected from Stanford. The situation you're describing sounds like what happened with Austin.
Sorry, you're right. I got her confused with someone on the grad cafe who applied to ICME at Stanford last year and was rejected, then accepted to Masters, then accepted to PhD.

betafj

Post by betafj » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 pm

kuz wrote:
betafj wrote:I got waitlisted by Stanford. How likely is it for people who are accepted by Stanford to choose somewhere else?
Join the club ;) Well owlpride got into Stanford last year after initially being rejected, then being waitlisted in early April, so it's certainly possible...
The problem is, who wouldn't want to go to Stanford?

kuz

Post by kuz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:43 am

betafj wrote:
kuz wrote:
The problem is, who wouldn't want to go to Stanford?
Hopefully people who got into Princeton/Harvard/MIT/Chicago - with the very top universities, it depends as much on the area that you're interested in as much as the prestige of the universities. I only applied for Princeton and Stanford out of that group as none of the rest had a decent analytic number theory community.