DOMESTIC PEOPLE, post your GRE Subject Scores

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
tundrawolf

DOMESTIC PEOPLE, post your GRE Subject Scores

Post by tundrawolf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi, I would like to get a feel for how domestic people scored, because I see a lot of acceptances on GC with subject scores of like 910. I'm just curious as to how many of those are domestic.

dragoonlp

Re: DOMESTIC PEOPLE, post your GRE Subject Scores

Post by dragoonlp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 pm

On GC, column "St", "I" means international, "U" means international but with US degree, "A" means Domestic

wine in coffee cups

Post by wine in coffee cups » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:03 pm

This is well answered already by the profiles thread as it tells you who is domestic/international, what their subject score was, what their other (more important) background factors are, and where they're applying and getting in.

sywisy

Post by sywisy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

At this year's JMM, the graduate director of Minnesota showed some very interesting GRE stats. I'm not sure where he pulled them from.

American versus Foreign: Students scoring above 90% were almost entirely foreign. I think this is only due to more emphasis on the test. (i.e. I don't think they're all cheating)

Male versus Female: Students scoring above 80% were almost entirely male.

Unfortunately, that's all I remember. If anyone knows the resource of this, I'd be interested.

Just hit 80% and you'll be fine. Unless you're international, then life is hard.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 am

^ Do you remember which University of Minnesota campus he was representing? I saw the same presentation at the Joint Math Meetings two years ago and I have a faint memory that it wasn't the Twin Cities campus, but it's been long enough that my memory might be off.

fireandgladstone

Post by fireandgladstone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 am

tundrawolf wrote:Do you guys just suck or do you think cheaters/answer leakers in China fucked up the score distribution?
tundrawolf wrote:Why don't they just stop accepting yucky Chinese anyhow? They're uncreative and can't do research, and Jews, Hungarians, etc are much better anyway. Even Japanese are better.
Welcome back. Have you gotten in anywhere yet?

benroberta

Post by benroberta » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 am

owlpride wrote:^ Do you remember which University of Minnesota campus he was representing? I saw the same presentation at the Joint Math Meetings two years ago and I have a faint memory that it wasn't the Twin Cities campus, but it's been long enough that my memory might be off.
He's from the Twin Cities campus. His name is Richard McGehee.

sywisy

Post by sywisy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 am

benroberta wrote:
owlpride wrote:^ Do you remember which University of Minnesota campus he was representing? I saw the same presentation at the Joint Math Meetings two years ago and I have a faint memory that it wasn't the Twin Cities campus, but it's been long enough that my memory might be off.
He's from the Twin Cities campus. His name is Richard McGehee.
That's right.