Last minute application to UMass Algebraic Geometry

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
bawaji

Last minute application to UMass Algebraic Geometry

Post by bawaji » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:25 am

I am an international student with a background and interest in algebraic geometry (a la Hartshorne) and geometry/topology. I blew my subject GRE test, am a bit worried about not getting in anywhere and can't decide whether I should put in a last minute application to UMass (applications are due on the 1st of Feb.). As far as I can judge, the faculty in algebraic and symplectic geometry seem to be active enough in research and quite good (i.e. publish in reputable journals, some collaborate with people at better known universities, participate in AlgebraicNorthEasternSeminar etc.). But I am bit worried because most of the faculty have had few or no past PhD students. I was wondering if UMass has trouble attracting good students, which might not bode well for a mathematically stimulating atmosphere. Do you have some gossip or experience that could help me get a better picture of the algebraic geometry and geometry/topology (especially symplectic geometry) at UMass? Or maybe you have some other advice that could help me decide?

cincodemayo5590

Re: Last minute application to UMass Algebraic Geometry

Post by cincodemayo5590 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:08 pm

I personally haven't heard anything. I'm also going for algebraic geometry, and my recommenders (one of whom is a geometer) didn't say anything about UMass; but really all that means is (1) that they're not in the top twenty, and (2) my recommenders personally didn't know anything about their program.

If you're concerned about your prospects, there's really no reason (aside from the extra bit of work, asking for another letter from your recommenders, and the application fee) not to apply there as well. You can always just decline an offer if you get into a more preferred program. You've got to move quickly, though, given the deadline.

If I may ask, where else have you applied, and what is your applicant profile like? (You could put up your profile here: http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=685.)

Good luck,
Sam

bawaji

Re: Last minute application to UMass Algebraic Geometry

Post by bawaji » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks, Sam. I've decided (for now) not to apply. I should be looking for backups in my country instead, where they have programs as good as UMass that I could get into. Coming from a foreign country with a different system, and because of some aspects of my application profile that I don't want to go into here, I don't know what my chances at the places I have applied to are. The stress was getting to me.

I am a bit paranoid about posting my profile online, but I probably will post something once I get admitted to some place I like. Roughly, I have completed a five year degree from a university in Europe, written something like a Masters thesis in algebraic geometry, know a little bit of geometry and topology of various flavors, though mostly algebraic geometry, but did badly on my subject GRE. I've applied mostly to good schools with various flavors of geometry and topology outside of the top ten ranked programs (think UT Austin, Northwestern (I've been waitlisted), UIUC ...).