Retaking the general & subject test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Sirri

Retaking the general & subject test

Post by Sirri » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi all,
I took both the general test and subject test twice; and my undergrad GPA is 3.08 & postgrad GPA are 3.34 (MSC maths coursework only) & 3.22 (MSC computing).
I think the GRE general and subject test require more time of prepation than I initaly thought. I relise, after taking the tests the second time, you need to have higher score for the tests than the indicated minimum scores on universities' websites.
Below are my scores for the second attempt:
General; Q = 720, V = 560, W = 3.0
MGRE = 530.
But, now I believe I can have excellent sores, if I have the time to prepare for the tests again. However, time is not on my side: I finish an MSC in computing since 2007 after I finish my undergrad in Maths in 2003. If I am opportuned I am thinking of retaking the tests next year but I don't want to engage in futile effort. With three attempts and my GPA can I increase my chances of getting into gradute school? Or, with my profile, can I get into a good school with funding?
Please help with suggestions.

ANDS

Re: Retaking the general & subject test

Post by ANDS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 am

Where and what are you trying to get into?

Sirri

Post by Sirri » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am

Maths or Computer Science

ANDS

Post by ANDS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Where though? And master or PhD? A 530 on the MGRE is quite low, and with your combined marks, might make getting into a Math PhD difficult (depending on WHERE you want to go). As you know "good" is subjective. Good to me is a top 50 school. Good to the vast majority on this board is Top 10, with little to no distinction between a 15 ranked and 45 ranked school.

If you're interested in a good education without the glitz and glamour of a "name brand" campus, there are tons of options out there.

Sirri

Post by Sirri » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Where- US or Canada.
Ph.D
I'm ok with top 50 if u mean I can get into one of them with my profile.
But I will like to know whether with an excellent score on the third atempt and my GPA I can get into one in the top 10.
I forget to mention; I had a TOEFL score of 85

gromov

Post by gromov » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Maybe I am misjudging, but I would say top 10 is very, very hard given those statistics, and your letters would have to give good reason for another student with a better GPA to be rejected in favor of you.

There are a few ways that someone with tons of mathematical talent but poor past record can stand out. One is by showing terrific potential in research at this point. Another is by partaking in something such as the UK's famous Cambridge Part III program and surviving with good performance.

Also, the schools in the "top 50" are still very competitive in terms of what GPA they prefer, but they may be much more forgiving of a student whose undergraduate education has been less colorful, and doesn't have outstanding letters.

Remember, as always in the admissions game, those who get into the top 10 are simply the ones with the best applications. At times, this means they are also the best mathematicians, but not always. A lot of very good mathematicians will end up at very good, but not the most hyper-competitive, schools. Those schools will want people who have shown themselves extremely capable (acing their classes, even if at a not so famous school) despite not having tons of additional trophies.

I think you should focus on the top 50, not top 10; everyone wants to go to a top 10 school, but it's uncertain how many of those who don't get into one would actually have benefited most at one of them. A top 50 school will still require quite a bit from you, because a high GRE score does not tend to override the other factors.

I would say a high GRE score is nearly necessary, rather than sufficient, for a student with a low GPA to be considered seriously.

ANDS

Post by ANDS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:51 pm

I would not expect a successful application for a Top 10 school with that profile, no. Top 50 is possible; Top 100 should be doable. I also think people will be surprised at average GPA's at some of these schools for admitted applicants.

gromov

Post by gromov » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

If you provide a few sample "bare minimum statistics profiles" for so-called rank 25-50 schools, that might be of help.

I believe that though; it seems that top 25 schools all are quite unforgiving about low school performance on average, but top 50 might be different to an extent.

lemonjuice

Post by lemonjuice » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:35 am

ANDS wrote:I also think people will be surprised at average GPA's at some of these schools for admitted applicants.
Where can you find such info?

ANDS

Post by ANDS » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am

A lot of programs put a lid on that info, but if you google "Graduate Admission Statistics" sometimes you'll be able to get a link to admission stats for programs.

Sirri

Post by Sirri » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Tanks everyone. Ur adivices are very helpful.