Pure Math Phd for Computer Science student

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
John.Galt

Pure Math Phd for Computer Science student

Post by John.Galt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 am

Hello,

I'm an international student currently pursuing my masters in computer science.My bachelor's was also in computer science.I'm interested in doing my Phd in pure mathematics.
I had taken many math courses in during my undergraduate years and my present research is also very math oriented (algorithmic algebra and computational algebraic geometry).Also, I've independently studying many other topics.
My first question s that will I be eligible for Phd in Pure mathematics ?
If yes, do I have any realistic chance of getting admission in any good university (say top 50)?
What else can I do to improve my chances of being accepted?

Thanks.

gromov

Re: Pure Math Phd for Computer Science student

Post by gromov » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 pm

You will need to check the websites - generally it should be fine as long as you have a degree in a field related to mathematics.

However, you may be at a disadvantage in the admissions process if most of your coursework is computational in nature. Plus, you would need to write a convincing statement about wanting to pursue a pure math advanced degree.

Computational algebraic geometry can arguably be considered pure math, depending on what you mean by the word "computational"; if this means using extremely elementary theory to generate computations using a machine, that's probably less helpful. More helpful would be if you perform difficult computations in commutative algebra using the insights of algebraic geometry, etc, and use a computer as an aid. There are lots of schools with strong algebraic geometry doing things like this.

Your admission will depend on your strength of *pure* math program, letters of recommendation (very important in your case, since your background may be unique, and admissions must be especially sure of your having strong direction in pure mathematics), and if relevant, standardized testing (of course, consult the school websites for what is needed). If you come from a not so famous school, standardized testing is more important than it would otherwise have been, given you do not have the same widely recognized marker of competence relative to other backgrounds.

ANDS

Post by ANDS » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 pm

What math did you take - you will obviously need the big two, Algebra and Analysis (full years worth). However, as someone said, you will be disadvantaged against those who have gone the pure route and simply have better "training" than you.

I would perhaps suggest doing the master in math, and then transitioning to PhD, instead of jumping right into a math doctoral program.

John.Galt

Post by John.Galt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:23 am

ANDS wrote:What math did you take - you will obviously need the big two, Algebra and Analysis (full years worth). However, as someone said, you will be disadvantaged against those who have gone the pure route and simply have better "training" than you.

I would perhaps suggest doing the master in math, and then transitioning to PhD, instead of jumping right into a math doctoral program.

Well,I have taken Algebra , Real Analysis, Galois Theory and Commutative Algebra.

This sem I'll be taking Algebraic geometry.

Actually, I'm taking only math courses in my masters as my work revolves much more around pure math than computer science. I can safely say it's computer science only for namesake.