Listing Summer Research Projects Under Publications

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dasgut

Listing Summer Research Projects Under Publications

Post by dasgut » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:07 pm

For two summer research internships with a US military branch, I prepared papers that discussed my research. I then presented these papers to base leaders. Do/should/can I list these under publications?

owlpride

Re: Listing Summer Research Projects Under Publications

Post by owlpride » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:40 pm

When I was working with professors as an undergraduate, I wrote up progress reports and presented my work to the research group and collaborators about once a month. It would not have been appropriate for me to list these as publications.

What makes a publication different from an informal report is that the publication has passed a peer review; another mathematician has looked at your work and vouches that you have an interesting result.

If your reports contain results that would be considered publishable in academia *and* the information is not classified, I would certainly mention it somewhere in the application. Depending on how formal your papers were and how many people they were shared with, your personal statement may be a more appropriate place than the publications section. If you are in doubt, seek the advice of your professors; they are usually happy to help.