Should I retake General GRE?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
rahulshr

Should I retake General GRE?

Post by rahulshr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 am

I took GRE about 3 years back.
I did not prepare for the word lists -at all - and hence sucked on verbal and ended up scoring 800+510.
With the revised pattern (no antonym/synonym business) - I am confident of boosting score by about 100 points - but is it worth it?
(once again I will not be mugging up word lists, and counting on reading comprehension and critical reasoning - and relatively easier sentence completion).

Also, my purpose of taking Subject Maths is to cover up for my education gap (it has been over 12 years since I finished my under grad)...and poor acads in last two years of under-graduation ( lack of interest), however I did good in Maths/CS related courses in first two years of graduation.
I am aiming for CS and Applied Maths MS/PhD programs.
What would be a respectable subject GRE score for the same? - I will try my best, but it would give me indicator of how many problems I should target/plan to solve on the real test.

mhancock743

Re: Should I retake General GRE?

Post by mhancock743 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:21 pm

If you already have an 800 Q score, I really don't think that retaking would be worth the time or especially the money. What I mean to say is I can't really imagine the scenario where your verbal score would end up being the deciding factor in your admittance when there is your SOP, research experience, subject score, education etc... that they could look at - just my opinion though.

rahulshr

Post by rahulshr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks. That makes lot of sense.
Even I was thinking along the same lines. Just wanted an independent opinion.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Admission-wise, a higher verbal score probably would not make a difference. However, it might make you more competitive for university-wide fellowships at some places (if that's something you are interested in).

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Anyone know how much the programs even care about the Q score?