Grad School funding

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mdornbos

Grad School funding

Post by mdornbos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Hey everyone. I was just wondering about assistantships in graduate school for math. Every school I applied to I applied for assistantship. My question is: Do we find out in our admittance letter to the school if we are receiving the assitantship, or does that information come in after the admittance letter?

For instance, one of the schools I recently got admitted into did not say anything about it, so I was wondering if I'm not going to be funded or not.

MattW

Re: Grad School funding

Post by MattW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Congratulations on being accepted, I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from any of my schools. As I haven't received an acceptance letter, I can't answer your question. However, virtually all US math programs fund all their PhD students (except those who do not wish to be considered for funding). I'm certain that you are not the exception, especially considering how quickly they got back to you.

By the way, which school did you get accepted to?

alex

Post by alex » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 pm

I also can't really answer your question, but I just wanted to add to MattW's sentiment about anxiously waiting: Hey, grad schools, what's the hold up?! I feel like checking your websites several times a day should make this faster!

Anyway, my only advice would just be to ask them if you don't hear anything about it in another couple of weeks.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Your official offer should contain some statement about funding and instructions for accepting or declining the offer. Your first notification, especially this early in the admission process, might just be an unofficial thumbs up from the department. Oftentimes departments have to forward their "recommendations" to the graduate school, which makes the final decisions and sends out the official offers.

john

Post by john » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 pm

My first acceptance was an "are you interested?" email. It contained information on a teaching assistantship.