Advice!!!!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aas56

Advice!!!!

Post by aas56 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Hello Everybody,
I am a first year phd student at "X"university in united states, I didnt get a great score at gre last year it was 69 % s I wasn't able to get into top 20 universities.
I am a pretty good student first ranked in my home country university and first ranked here at the new one, I did gre subject again this november just to try i got luckily an 85% which I consider it good.
Should I reconsider applying to top 20 universities? Is it appropriate to ask from my current teacher recommendation for leaving their program to go elsewhere?
My plan is to apply only to these:
Penn state University
Brown University
COrnel University
Michigan Ann Arbor
Rockhers University
Purdue University

Regards

cbreeden

Re: Advice!!!!

Post by cbreeden » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:40 pm

It only costs time and money to apply. If you are not happy, then sure. I've known someone who went to CUNY Stony Brook and then the very next year went to Princeton (however, he had different complications as compared to not just scoring well on the GRE; a recommender had forgot to send their letter to the school.)

I'd be very doubtful that increasing your GRE score by 15% is going to be sufficient to make much a different... but then again, you never know until you try. Best of luck.

aas56

Post by aas56 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:18 pm

After I came to US I noticed that everything they tell you about no minimum score is required isn't true.
I met some members of universities that I applied to they told me that they have a cut off scores for the subject test in case this cut off isn't met they don't even look at your application.

larry burns

Post by larry burns » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:33 pm

On a related note, lets say I were admitted for fall 2011 to an applied math-only dept, or a low-ranked joint applied/pure math program, because I was unable to take the math subject GRE this year. But if I took it in April, scored ok, would it be possible to then re-apply to another higher-ranked math phD program for fall 2012?

I thought it would be frowned upon by schools to have their students be admitted, but then leave for another program?

aas56

Post by aas56 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Well I talked to my doctors here. and they were very friendly and said honestly that these programs(in the universities listed above) are better than ours they will even write for me recommendation letter.