Anybody know about Pi Mu Epsilon?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dragoonlp

Anybody know about Pi Mu Epsilon?

Post by dragoonlp » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I got in this Pi Mu Epsilon last year and I think this is a kind of honor group for math in US. But why nobody wrote this in their background in the top post '2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results'. I dont believe none of them can get this, this is not that hard.
So, is that means this Pi Mu Epsilon honor is too trivial? Should I put it in my CV?

dragoonlp

Re: Anybody know about Pi Mu Epsilon?

Post by dragoonlp » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Anybody?? Please help me.

alex

Post by alex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I opted for not including it since it is pretty easy to get in. occasionally, when answering questions about professional organizations, i would include it since i was vice president (no choice really since my school's math department was pretty small), but other than that, i say forget it. of course, all my chapter did was have a yearly picnic, if yours does more, then maybe you should.

owlpride

Post by owlpride » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm

You want to highlight those accomplishments that provide the strongest evidence of your commitment to mathematics and your likely success as a graduate student. It cannot hurt to include the Pi Mu Epsilon membership in your CV, but how much emphasis it should get depends on your involvement in the chapter and the other things (or lack thereof) that you could elaborate on in your application.

My own school does not have a chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon and therefore it won't be part of my application.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 pm

I know a few PMEs. They encouraged me to apply and I wasn't that interested (I was already a member of Golden Key from my undergrad days and it was pointless). They encouraged me to apply again basically guaranteeing that I would get it because I knew so many people and was a Masters student and so I applied... and was rejected. They encouraged me to apply AGAIN and I told them exactly where to stick their application.

So yeah, it won't be going on my application either. I'll just have to fall back on my research and my job experience. :mrgreen:

However, if you dedicated any time to PME and weren't just a figure head VP, you should definitely put it on your CV because it shows dedication to the field. This is especially true if you did something like organized/sponsored any talks at your school.

alex

Post by alex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:32 pm

holy moly, you had to apply? i guess that organization varies from school to school then. at ours, it was just everyone who had taken a certain number of math classes and made...i don't remember, but it was easy...and they just let you in.

but yeah, figurehead is charitable. i was studying abroad for half of my tenure.