Master's offers

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
daruma

Master's offers

Post by daruma » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 am

I have received a few offers for master's programmes but I am a bit puzzled about a few things.

In a offer letter, there were these following lines

"Graduate Assistantship Policy: Students enrolled in this program are not permitted to accept teaching assistantships, project assistantships, research assistantships, or other appointments that would result in a tuition waiver."

I am rather unfamiliar with the US system so I originally thought it meant that there will be no teaching assistantship s, project assistantships, etc. But am I correct in my understanding that I can take TA positions , just that they will not result in any guaranteed financial aid.( I.e. Is it like being a freelancer whilst a financial package is like being on a contract?)

MathCat

Re: Master's offers

Post by MathCat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 pm

You should ask the department to be sure.

I think there's two possible interpretations:
(1) You cannot accept any of these positions for any reason (I think this is what they mean, but again, verify with the department); or
(2) You can accept these positions and be paid the monthly stipend associated with it, but your tuition will not be waived.

I think (2) is less likely because it is probably in the contracts that such positions include tuition waivers, so they may not be allowed to give you such a position without one.

daruma

Re: Master's offers

Post by daruma » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm

I emailed to the enquire about this.

I found out that generally, mostly MA students will do grading positions and can work up to 108 hours in one semester. That works out to 6 or 7 hours per week.