Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aa14k

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Post by aa14k » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 pm

emerald123 wrote:Anyone else apply to Maryland applied math (AMSC)? Haven’t heard anything but my online status changed from “under departmental review” to under “graduate school review”, has anyone else had this???
Yeah.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:54 pm

ethanmhny wrote:
djysyed wrote:Would you rather be rejected by someone you have a crush on or by your dream graduate program?
there's no real chance my dream program would accept me anyways so I guess I'll go with that
there's no real chance either would accept me so i'm at an impasse

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:54 pm

jk
Last edited by ponchan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm

ponchan wrote:When did this turn into an incel forum?
It hasn't?

bbqchips

Post by bbqchips » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:31 am

Just got rejected from Brown pure, so I assume they'll be sending out the rest of their decisions today.

johanMo

Post by johanMo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

Am I the only one that hasn't heard back at all? No rejections, no acceptances. I feel forgotten :cry:

kanep96

Post by kanep96 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:17 pm

johanMo wrote:Am I the only one that hasn't heard back at all? No rejections, no acceptances. I feel forgotten :cry:
I've applied to 10 places, and have only heard back from two (rejections). We're in a similar boat, pal. Not sure what's up with them. Best of luck to ya!

FtYoU

Post by FtYoU » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:57 pm

kanep96 wrote:
johanMo wrote:Am I the only one that hasn't heard back at all? No rejections, no acceptances. I feel forgotten :cry:
I've applied to 10 places, and have only heard back from two (rejections). We're in a similar boat, pal. Not sure what's up with them. Best of luck to ya!
Im am in the same positions as you guys. I only did an interview for Upenn and it is for the bridge PhD program.
With all my research online, I came to the conclusion that schools behave in on of the following fashion :
  • Send out acceptance and rejection in one go ( extremely rare ).
  • Send out acceptance and rejection in one go and build a waiting list for the students that rejected the offer. So effectively 2 rounds of acceptances/rejection.
  • Process part of applications and proceed with one of the previous method. then proceed to the rest of the applications.
  • Send out acceptances and rejections in waves. Students who did not hear anything are on the dangerous foggy zone. Could be accepted or rejected depending on the situation.
I think graduate admission committee should be more transparent and have a predefined e-mail template explaining to the applicants how the decisions would be made. This will relief the stress and guessing. Also a fully automated system is not that hard to implement where an automatic e-mail is sent out as soon as a decision is made.

johanMo

Post by johanMo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 am

FtYoU wrote:
kanep96 wrote:
Im am in the same positions as you guys. I only did an interview for Upenn and it is for the bridge PhD program.
With all my research online, I came to the conclusion that schools behave in on of the following fashion :
  • Send out acceptance and rejection in one go ( extremely rare ).
  • Send out acceptance and rejection in one go and build a waiting list for the students that rejected the offer. So effectively 2 rounds of acceptances/rejection.
  • Process part of applications and proceed with one of the previous method. then proceed to the rest of the applications.
  • Send out acceptances and rejections in waves. Students who did not hear anything are on the dangerous foggy zone. Could be accepted or rejected depending on the situation.
I think graduate admission committee should be more transparent and have a predefined e-mail template explaining to the applicants how the decisions would be made. This will relief the stress and guessing. Also a fully automated system is not that hard to implement where an automatic e-mail is sent out as soon as a decision is made.

I hope that some of the schools I'm waiting for fall into that last category you mentioned. I'm just not sure what to make of this radio silence. CU Boulder seems to have sent out a bunch of rejections yesterday so I'm trying to stay positive about the fact that I haven't heard anything at all.

jwg

Post by jwg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Anyone else invited to FL State financial math symposium? Have not heard a peep from them about a decision.. Seems their version of a visiting weekend.

DiscoVolante

Post by DiscoVolante » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:59 pm

jwg wrote:Anyone else invited to FL State financial math symposium? Have not heard a peep from them about a decision.. Seems their version of a visiting weekend.
If you haven't heard back from them I'd say that's good news. I heard back to be rejected from the PhD program and accepted to the M.S. with a majority tuition waiver so you should still be under consideration for the PhD and a TA'ship. Good luck!
Last edited by DiscoVolante on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Anyone else here get a Utah waitlist?

FtYoU

Post by FtYoU » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:08 pm

From the University of Maryland. I think it's sum it up pretty good :
Acceptances are made from mid-February through April 15. Here's what happens: Since we support all accepted students with Teaching Assistantships, we need to end up with a predetermined number of students, with a very small error term. Some acceptances are sent out in mid February, but no one can be required to answer until April 15. Therefore, nothing happens for several weeks. Everyone else starts getting nervous, especially since they see on grad cafe web sites that we've made some acceptances. Finally, around April 1, these accepted students either get rejected by their higher choices and accept our offer, or they have been accepted by a higher choice and are trying to get up the courage to say no to us. (If you end up in this latter category, please be courageous. The graduate director is getting besieged with emails from people who want your place.) When it looks like we'll be below our quota, we send more acceptances. (If it looks like we have too many, we hide from the budget people and hope for rejections.) Around April 10, we have filled about half of our positions, with many offers awaiting responses. By some miracle, over the last five days, the rejections and acceptances come and go, and we hit our projected number.

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 am

Does anyone care to look at how hard certain school's qualifying exams are? While there a general pattern that the higher the rank of the school, the exam's difficulty is not a function of the school's rank. I got accepted to Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, and UIUC which rank 26, 22, 19 on U.S News, but I find the difficulty of their past prelims to go UIUC < JHU < G Tech. I don't really want to have qualifying exams be a central part of my time in grad school and might factor it into the decision of which school I attend. Anyone else think about this or am I being a baby to consider such things?

sorfosh

Post by sorfosh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:32 am

FourierTransformer wrote:Does anyone care to look at how hard certain school's qualifying exams are? While there a general pattern that the higher the rank of the school, the exam's difficulty is not a function of the school's rank. I got accepted to Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, and UIUC which rank 26, 22, 19 on U.S News, but I find the difficulty of their past prelims to go UIUC < JHU < G Tech. I don't really want to have qualifying exams be a central part of my time in grad school and might factor it into the decision of which school I attend. Anyone else think about this or am I being a baby to consider such things?
I think I will take them into account as well. Their difficulty and how many times you can take them. I would hate for my PhD to be very stressfully because of some silly exam. I want to have a simple life. Other people might want a challenge or think the stress is worth it. Keep in mind that just because they look difficult now, doesn’t mean they will be difficult to you after you have taken classes that cover them!

johanMo

Post by johanMo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:41 am

So far the only contact I've received from a school was from UCR's financial aid office saying that there is a problem with my fafsa and that I must fix it before they can provide me with a financial aid reward. Could this mean that I'm in and they're considering me for finaid or am I reading too much into this since its the first correspondence I've had since completing my applications?

rlightec

Post by rlightec » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Did anyone hear from UC Santa Cruz?

ribbit

Post by ribbit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Ohio State sent out their waitlist! Made it on even though I didn't send in three letters of rec.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 pm

FourierTransformer wrote:Does anyone care to look at how hard certain school's qualifying exams are? While there a general pattern that the higher the rank of the school, the exam's difficulty is not a function of the school's rank. I got accepted to Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, and UIUC which rank 26, 22, 19 on U.S News, but I find the difficulty of their past prelims to go UIUC < JHU < G Tech. I don't really want to have qualifying exams be a central part of my time in grad school and might factor it into the decision of which school I attend. Anyone else think about this or am I being a baby to consider such things?
Utah's qualifying exam is pretty hard despite being ranked #39. I'm most likely going to Purdue (#26) because I love their qualifying exam (semester finals).

riffraff11235

Post by riffraff11235 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:06 pm

ribbit wrote:Ohio State sent out their waitlist! Made it on even though I didn't send in three letters of rec.
Wondering how I should interpret the fact that I still haven't heard from them at all...

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm

djysyed wrote:
Utah's qualifying exam is pretty hard despite being ranked #39. I'm most likely going to Purdue (#26) because I love their qualifying exam (semester finals).
My undergrad institution doubled their qualifying exams as their finals as well. And cool, I was wondering if I was the only one haha. I suppose if I like two schools equally, whichever one has me deal with the least amount of unnecessary stress is best. I know of a student at my school who started doing research, and they kept avoiding studying with quals. They ended up doing really badly on the quals despite getting a paper published by the end of their first year. They eventually passed their quals (barely) and they spent the whole summer studying for them. It really took time away from their research which they were quite successful at. It seemed so silly. I guess the rules are the rules though.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:47 am

riffraff11235 wrote:
ribbit wrote:Ohio State sent out their waitlist! Made it on even though I didn't send in three letters of rec.
Wondering how I should interpret the fact that I still haven't heard from them at all...
In the same boat, has to mean we are rejected or accepted. Hopefully they alert us soon.

scotter236

Post by scotter236 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm

prospectivestudent69 wrote:
riffraff11235 wrote:
In the same boat, has to mean we are rejected or accepted. Hopefully they alert us soon.
Same here. I think though that if you were waitlisted or accepted at schools of similar strength, Ohio should be an acceptance soon...

riffraff11235

Post by riffraff11235 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm

scotter236 wrote:Same here. I think though that if you were waitlisted or accepted at schools of similar strength, Ohio should be an acceptance soon...
All I've got so far is a waitlisting from UIUC.

Does "waitlisted" actually show up as the application status on OSU's website, or are waitlisted applicants still listed as "pending"?
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+j

Post by +j » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:50 pm

anyone else attending the visiting day for georgia tech tomorrow? i'm flying in this afternoon and i don't think i've gotten any information about where our hotel is

ya

Post by ya » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 pm

+j wrote:anyone else attending the visiting day for georgia tech tomorrow? i'm flying in this afternoon and i don't think i've gotten any information about where our hotel is
I have gotten an email from them with hotel confirmation number, so you might want to email them to check. I believe everyone will be staying at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:22 pm

ya wrote:
+j wrote:anyone else attending the visiting day for georgia tech tomorrow? i'm flying in this afternoon and i don't think i've gotten any information about where our hotel is
I have gotten an email from them with hotel confirmation number, so you might want to email them to check. I believe everyone will be staying at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center.
Same information as me. I also just got a schedule for the event. I’d email them to check.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Notre Dame waitlist!!!

+j

Post by +j » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:14 pm

ahhh thanks for the heads up y'all, turns out the emails were in my spam

lzxnl

Post by lzxnl » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Brown has finally made formal admissions decisions for Applied Math. But I already know where I'm going :D

oniongood

Post by oniongood » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm

I have been knocked down by fever the entire day, but the Notre Dame acceptance gave me enough strength to function again!!! Excited!!!

Regarding OSU, I have not heard from them since I submitted my application, and I e-mailed grad-info@math.osu.edu and got the following as a reply:
I’m very sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate news. Our admissions committee just released both the last of the regular Ph.D. admissions and the wait list, and those who have not heard from us at this point should expect not to be offered admission.
Kind regards,
Erin

So, not a piece of good news......I am still very confused that I did not even make OSU waitlist; maybe because I submitted my application on 12.17?

julienguyen

Post by julienguyen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:50 pm

oniongood wrote:I have been knocked down by fever the entire day, but the Notre Dame acceptance gave me enough strength to function again!!! Excited!!!

Regarding OSU, I have not heard from them since I submitted my application, and I e-mailed grad-info@math.osu.edu and got the following as a reply:
I’m very sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate news. Our admissions committee just released both the last of the regular Ph.D. admissions and the wait list, and those who have not heard from us at this point should expect not to be offered admission.
Kind regards,
Erin

So, not a piece of good news......I am still very confused that I did not even make OSU waitlist; maybe because I submitted my application on 12.17?
Wow and they couldn't even send an email to let people know.

emerald123

Post by emerald123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Anyone heard from Minnesota (for pure math)?

ramseytype

Post by ramseytype » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm

emerald123 wrote:Anyone heard from Minnesota (for pure math)?
Only a few acceptances have gone out according to grad cafe.

From what I was told by someone at Minnesota, they started the admissions process late this year.

FtYoU

Post by FtYoU » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm

julienguyen wrote:
oniongood wrote:I have been knocked down by fever the entire day, but the Notre Dame acceptance gave me enough strength to function again!!! Excited!!!

Kind regards,
Erin

Wow and they couldn't even send an email to let people know.
I fee rather good when a university doesn't release this information granted you are rejected. A non caring University is a University you do not want to spend 5-6 years into. Considering the fact that you have put time and money into the application process I feel is a form of disrespect. It feels bad being rejected from a caring school. Doesn't feel the same when it doesn't even let the paying student know his rejection status.

tzwxy

Post by tzwxy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Did anyone get news from Michigan State University about their Pure Math program? Quite worried.

Plus, I got admission last week from U Missouri. However they asked me to get 28/30 in TOEFL speaking in order to substitute a 4/4 score in their speaking test (I cannot make it to the test because I am not in the U.S), otherwise I cannot get a residential waive for the first semester. :oops: Do you know what's the "residential waive" for?

Good luck to everyone!

davis7e

Post by davis7e » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Has anybody heard from either Rochester or Boston College? I’ll admit that I’m getting a little antsy but I’m curious about whether or not any offers have been made or if anybody has emailed either of them to ask.

FtYoU

Post by FtYoU » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34 pm

tzwxy wrote:Did anyone get news from Michigan State University about their Pure Math program? Quite worried.

Plus, I got admission last week from U Missouri. However they asked me to get 28/30 in TOEFL speaking in order to substitute a 4/4 score in their speaking test (I cannot make it to the test because I am not in the U.S), otherwise I cannot get a residential waive for the first semester. :oops: Do you know what's the "residential waive" for?

Good luck to everyone!
I think ETS deliver tests internationally. Residential wave is having a reduced price for tuition and other fees I believe.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:23 am

davis7e wrote:Has anybody heard from either Rochester or Boston College? I’ll admit that I’m getting a little antsy but I’m curious about whether or not any offers have been made or if anybody has emailed either of them to ask.
Boston College has already made offers and waitlists because someone I know got waitlisted.

SoboloevSpace

Post by SoboloevSpace » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Given how my admissions cycle has been going, does anyone know any programs still taking applicants?

eljasow

Post by eljasow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

SoboloevSpace wrote:Given how my admissions cycle has been going, does anyone know any programs still taking applicants?
University of miami, fl

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 pm

SoboloevSpace wrote:Given how my admissions cycle has been going, does anyone know any programs still taking applicants?
University of South Carolina. Theirs is due 2/28
Last edited by ponchan on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blahquaker

Post by blahquaker » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Oklahoma State

SoboloevSpace

Post by SoboloevSpace » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 pm

Thank you! Keep them coming!!!

kkky

Post by kkky » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:00 am

Anyone has info on UCLA? Seems it has been silent for more than 3 weeks?

hopeful

Post by hopeful » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:26 am

kkky wrote:Anyone has info on UCLA? Seems it has been silent for more than 3 weeks?
Last year they sent out rejections this next week.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:15 am

Anyone know when Johns Hopkins applied math PhD will release decisions?

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Anyone hear back from Columbia APAM?

basically_trash

Post by basically_trash » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm

SoboloevSpace wrote:Thank you! Keep them coming!!!
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (March 1): https://www.unlv.edu/graduatecollege/ap ... -deadlines (this might have changed to Feb 1 recently).

University of Houston (March 15): http://www.uh.edu/nsm/math/graduate/admissions/

Good luck

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 pm

kkky wrote:Anyone has info on UCLA? Seems it has been silent for more than 3 weeks?
UCSD has been silent since Feb 1st as well. I really hope they have a second round coming soon