What schools should a student like me be looking at

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
williamcjj

What schools should a student like me be looking at

Post by williamcjj » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Undergrad Institution: UCSB
Major(s): Math
Minor(s): Physics
GPA: 3.72
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 170 (96%)
V: 158 (80%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 830 (83%)

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: none
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: none
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Campus Tutor for 2 years
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Strong recommends by decently famous profs in the field.

I am just curious if my goals are realistic, so I would appreciate any input on what sort of school I should be looking at. I think my everything are decent/mediocre but I have nothing else to show which makes me concerned to be looking at U of M, U of C, and etc.

bbym

Re: What schools should a student like me be looking at

Post by bbym » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:47 pm

williamcjj wrote:Undergrad Institution: UCSB

Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Strong recommends by decently famous profs in the field.

I am just curious if my goals are realistic, so I would appreciate any input on what sort of school I should be looking at. I think my everything are decent/mediocre but I have nothing else to show which makes me concerned to be looking at U of M, U of C, and etc.

The test scores and gpa all look good. I just concern about your research experience. It may hurt your application if you simply say you have no research experience. As far as I know, no schools only focus on your grades. So what you mention here (I guess they are U Michi or U California) are all possible, but you might need to tell a little bit more about yourself besides how you did in standard tests. Recommendation letters definitely help, but I don't know to what extent since your application will be reviewed as a whole. Anyway, good luck!

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 pm

bbym wrote:I just concern about your research experience. It may hurt your application if you simply say you have no research experience.
There are quite a few people at those schools with no research experience. Research experience is for our personal growth so some school don't take research experience into consideration.

williamcjj

Post by williamcjj » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 pm

yeah, also being asian male definitely doesnt help

just entesar

Post by just entesar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 am

williamcjj wrote:Undergrad Institution: UCSB

I THINK YOU LOOKING TO MASTER DEGREE ,,, EVERY THINGS WITH YOU THAT CAN GO WITH ACCEPTING TO MASTER ... GO HEADLONG :arrow:

williamcjj

Post by williamcjj » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 am

thanks for the support man but I'm applying for PhD programs. I am not opposed to a master if I can't get into any PhD program. But maybe I am stronger of a candidate than i think I am, thanks for the comments.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:06 pm

I think you have a great shot at top schools. The only two things that might be an issue is lack of research experience and if those A-/B's that bring down your GPA were in upper level math courses or not. It also heavily depends on your rec letters, but your test scores are excellent.

williamcjj

Post by williamcjj » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:19 pm

thanks man, my letters should be decently strong and unique. I studied math abroad for a semester and managed to excel at my classes to convince my abroad professor to write me a rec. I hope that speaks about my character according to the committees. 2 of my professors are decently famous in analysis (including the abroad professor), but my area of interest is algebra which I am a little concerned. as of my major GPA, it is actually higher than my overall GPA, (3.81), I got a C in intro to linear algebra (99% until the final, what a shame). which is a huge bummer but i got an A- in the 2nd course of the series. I also have a better grade in analysis classes than algebra classes which is also a bit odd. Overall I have a lot of ups and downs or weirdness to my undergrad career, I hope that averages out to be a strong enough candidate in their eyes.