Masters at NYU Courant

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
MMDE

Masters at NYU Courant

Post by MMDE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:00 am

My original plan was to do a PhD in Applied Math next year, but due to family constraints I have to remain near the NYC area. This only leaves schools such as NYU or Columbia's APAM program. My GRE was not nearly what I had hoped it would be, and as a result I don't think I'll get admitted. I'm not quite sure what to do now, but I'm considering doing a masters at Courant to boost my application, strengthen my mathematical foundation, and maybe even hope to get into their PhD program upon completion. Is this realistic or even worth the money? And also, how hard is it to get into this program? What do you all think? I was also considering the MS programs at CUNY and Columbia but I don't know much about those. Thanks.

cater99

Re: Masters at NYU Courant

Post by cater99 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:11 pm

I think getting into their master's program should not be hard, provided you have a decent GRE+GPA. But getting into Courant's PhD from its master's is really hard. Quoted from my undergraduate professor who got accepted by Courant when he applied, he said master's students do not receive much attention from the faculty and you will definitely need to do even better than your fellow PhD in your courses to impress the faculties.

For CUNY, not sure. But if any program like that provides you a lot of research opportunities, such as a thesis, then maybe that will help you a lot better, provided that your undergraduate GPA is decent.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 pm

It seems like it's fairly east to get into the MS program at Courant, as long as you are willing to go $120k in debt (or if you have rich parents). Also, from looking at profiles on this site of people who've done so, it doesn't seem like it necessarily sets one up for getting admitted to top programs, so who knows if it's really worth it.

What about Stony Brook? They don't require the mGRE.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:35 pm

cater99 wrote:I think getting into their master's program should not be hard, provided you have a decent GRE+GPA. But getting into Courant's PhD from its master's is really hard. Quoted from my undergraduate professor who got accepted by Courant when he applied, he said master's students do not receive much attention from the faculty and you will definitely need to do even better than your fellow PhD in your courses to impress the faculties.

For CUNY, not sure. But if any program like that provides you a lot of research opportunities, such as a thesis, then maybe that will help you a lot better, provided that your undergraduate GPA is decent.
My undergraduate math GPA is solid, and I've also taken a decent amount of graduate courses as an undergrad in which I have done well. It seems the MS program at Courant is just one big money grab then. The CUNY program is about ~$25k, but I'd also have to factor in living costs. I'm not sure the about strength of their program nor if it's worth the price.
ponchan wrote:It seems like it's fairly east to get into the MS program at Courant, as long as you are willing to go $120k in debt (or if you have rich parents). Also, from looking at profiles on this site of people who've done so, it doesn't seem like it necessarily sets one up for getting admitted to top programs, so who knows if it's really worth it.

What about Stony Brook? They don't require the mGRE.
I was looking at Stony Brook but they seem a little far, it's about ~75 minutes from NYC. I don't think the $120k is worth the debt, especially if it doesn't help me much as you say.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:56 pm

CUNY grad center is good for pure, but I don't know anything about their applied program. I don't think it's a separate department. The one thing that's tricky with them is that their stipend is low (like $20 grand) for the cost of living in NY. But if you already live in NY, then it might be fine.

75 miles is a bit of a trek, yeah. Rutgers might be a bit closer, but I'm not sure how far you can travel outside the city.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 pm

ponchan wrote:CUNY grad center is good for pure, but I don't know anything about their applied program. I don't think it's a separate department. The one thing that's tricky with them is that their stipend is low (like $20 grand) for the cost of living in NY. But if you already live in NY, then it might be fine.

75 miles is a bit of a trek, yeah. Rutgers might be a bit closer, but I'm not sure how far you can travel outside the city.
Rutgers is also a little far. I actually love pure and applied equally, I'm only pursuing applied so I can go into industry if I choose to do so, but am still leaning towards a career in academia. If I go to CUNY I'd be for a masters,so I don't mind the pure courses at all, I feel I am pretty strong in terms of applied courses. Do you know anything about their funding for MS students, and if even getting an MS from them is a smart idea to begin with? I live in NYC, but I have to move out on my own in a few months, so I'll most likely have to take out a loan.

shg_Mgre

Post by shg_Mgre » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:22 am

For your reference, I was admitted by this program before and I spent some time checking all Courant's faculty websites. Many of their CVs indicated where their master thesis advisee went after graduation from Courant's master program. I saw most students ended up with working for industries but I also found there were students went to great Applied Math/OR phd programs in Umich, UW-Seattle and U of Maryland.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:04 pm

I'm not sure if MS students are funded. You might consider applying for the PhD program, earn a masters, then decide if you want to continue on to a PhD, there or elsewhere. That way, you're still funded.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:49 pm

ponchan wrote:I'm not sure if MS students are funded. You might consider applying for the PhD program, earn a masters, then decide if you want to continue on to a PhD, there or elsewhere. That way, you're still funded.
Thanks, I looked it up and they do offer some form of funding both in terms of teaching and merit based aid. Do you think it'd help at all with getting into a top program?

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:50 am

CUNY grad center is ranked 39 on US News and has many top researchers among its faculty. If you get into CUNY and don't get into NYU, then I would say it's definitely worth going (under the assumption that you have to stay in NY). Note that there is a difference between the CUNY grad center (PhD) program and the terminal MS programs offered at Baruch and City College. You might have already seen this, but the latter don't have the option to move onto a PhD at CUNY automatically, and I'm not sure if they're funded. But regardless of which one you choose, I don't see how going to and doing well at any of these wouldn't put you in a better position.