I don't know about you....

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Bigsrw

I don't know about you....

Post by Bigsrw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am

But I'm feeling 22.

Just kidding. I wanted to post my application on here for the spring, but it doesn't quite fit into the other topic posts.

Undergrad Institution: Not a well known school
Major(s): Mathematics
GPA: 3.1 GPA; About 3.4 for Math GPA
Type of Student: Domestic, white Female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 162
V: 153
W: 4.0
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 540 (19%) :shock: :oops:

Program Applying: Pure Math

Research Experience: My capstone class required a research project working under an advisor. Mine ended up being original work (though nothing grand) and my paper was accepted for publication by the Rose-Hulman Undergraduate Mathematics Journal. I also began as a chemistry major and have some lab research experience.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Received a certificate of excellence from my math department for my project. That's about it.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a tutor for both the department and at our tutoring center. Worked as a program lead for an after school program for a little while.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I had two good letters of recommendation and one that I know was excellent (He gave me a copy- I didn't ask for it, he just does this for all his students). Did a guided study of Neural Networks and have a pretty broad background in all of the sciences.

Applying to Where:
So I originally had applied to schools in Colorado where I lived (married with a son so we didn't want to move far away for school). We ended up moving to Texas and all those went out the window. I applied last minute to Texas State's Masters program. Was accepted with a TA... that also didn't work out.

Then I applied to Texas A&M for Spring 2019 and was accepted and offered a TA ($1,850/month- low but I probably won't teach any classes). I intend to make this one work out. Wanted to post this, though, since I had a VERY poor GRE subject score and my GPA was nothing to brag about either. Still am going to a good school, though, and wanted to post this so others don't get discouraged. On the flip side, I believe my research and LOR greatly helped. Plus, I connected well with all of my professors and actively talked to them and students. So, knowing the culture of this school, think they probably believe I will be a good fit.

Now, anyone want to talk about how things are going or things, their experiences or things they are worried about? I'm personally worried about passing qualifying exams considering my.... past experience with exams :P

Edit: I also may have also tried to contact the head of the department and head of graduate studies about giving them a late application for the Fall. Not sure if that actually helped me or not but maybe they liked my persistence!

seven

Re: I don't know about you....

Post by seven » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Thank you!! I'm in a similar situation. I have a 3.1 General GPA for undergrad/3.4 Math GPA so I went and got my Masters degree and did much better, but now I'm really unsure if my undergrad GPA still eliminates me from being able to be accepted at certain schools. My subject score isn't great either, but I do have hope that all will work out!

I love these forums but sometimes I do lose hope that I'll get into a good program since most people here have really stellar backgrounds.

Bigsrw

Post by Bigsrw » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 am

seven wrote:Thank you!! I'm in a similar situation. I have a 3.1 General GPA for undergrad/3.4 Math GPA so I went and got my Masters degree and did much better, but now I'm really unsure if my undergrad GPA still eliminates me from being able to be accepted at certain schools. My subject score isn't great either, but I do have hope that all will work out!

I love these forums but sometimes I do lose hope that I'll get into a good program since most people here have really stellar backgrounds.
You have probably heard this before but make sure the school is a good fit. Before moving I applied to a school in CO that cared a lot about grades and testing. I was rejected and I believe I should have been. I wasn't a good fit for their program and I don't think they were a good fit for me. I was probably accepted to TAMU because of research and having close connections with my professors. Those are things they value and so do I. The most important factor for me in applying to schools was a matter of how well I could get to know the faculty- because I really enjoyed socializing with my professors as an undergraduate. This seems like something TAMU cares about as well.

I think most people probably don't have stellar backgrounds- those people just won't post because they don't want others to see how they did. So we probably only see the very best or the very confident.

But apply to wherever you think will suit you well. I didn't think TAMU would accept me or I thought that I would have to convince them in an interview. I wouldn't have normally even applied there, it being a top 50, because I didn't think I stood a chance. I mostly only applied because I didn't want to wait any longer... actually it was because my husband has more faith in me than I do. So really I applied because one day I was like "the application deadline for spring is tomorrow...." and my husband was like "apply right now" and I was like "I haven't even warned my professors that I'm applying and to have my letters ready" and he was like "NOW!".... I have a good husband. It was a very last minute decision-making not sure I would recommend that.

But I think a lot of people need to have more faith in themselves. So, I'll help you out:
APPLY TO THAT SCHOOL YOU DON'T THINK YOU'LL GET INTO!!!!

Dopeboyz

Post by Dopeboyz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 am

Wow your husband sounds like a great man, def a keeper.