JHU vs Ann Arbor for Masters in applied math?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Loliconnoisseur

JHU vs Ann Arbor for Masters in applied math?

Post by Loliconnoisseur » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 pm

I just have been admitted to JHU and Michigan for masters in applied math, and I honestly don't know too much about each institution. I studied mostly pure math in my undergrad institution, and I once dreamed of pursuing PhD, but now instead going to applied program for more learning in computational math/finance etc to prepare myself for the industry.

Could anyone tell me pros and cons, job prospect, industry recognition and such if anyone knows?

umichzzy

Re: JHU vs Ann Arbor for Masters in applied math?

Post by umichzzy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:35 pm

I remember in Michigan, they have a specific program under math department which is preparing for those people wanna head in financial industry. I don't think you have much chance to get exposure to financial math if you been admitted as a AIM master in Michigan. The fact is, Michigan is among the few school in US which has some mathematicians do research about financial math. Michigan has Erhan and Sergey, they both focus on research about stochastic optimization/Backward stochastic differential equations/equilibrium theory. Erhan is quite prestigious among Mathematical finance field. While for JHU, I can't figure out there are any people there doing research in Mathematical finance field.