Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Musicbears

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by Musicbears » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Sepens wrote:Hey everyone. Is there a protocol or any ethics behind contacting schools about increasing their funding/stipend offers to match other schools?

Is this something that people commonly do? Or maybe it often doesn't cause any changes so there is no point. Just wondering.
If it's 1 or 2k, maybe they'd obliged if they really wanted you. However, getting them to make any major changes like 5k+ is unlikely unless you're their top choice or something. Schools have a certain funding for each class each year and aren't going to make exceptions unless you're stellar. How much of a raise are you hoping for? Also keep in mind that schools in the middle of nowhere aren't going to have nearly as high of cost of living as schools in the city. Schools in the city that offer over 30k, might still leave their students scrambling to make ends meet.

lambert

Post by lambert » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm pretty confident even if you're #1 on the list they won't increase your stipend for your convenience because graduate offers are kind of final. It's not like you're a Fields medalist they're dying to recruit in their faculty.

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:34 pm

lambert wrote:I'm pretty confident even if you're #1 on the list they won't increase your stipend for your convenience because graduate offers are kind of final. It's not like you're a Fields medalist they're dying to recruit in their faculty.
I was trying to find the like button on this lol.

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Did anybody else receive an email from Nebraska-Lincoln saying that they were put on the waitlist? They said they'd extend more offers in "early April" and it would be fantastic to get a spot there, but I haven't seen anybody else on this site or thegradcafe who seems to have gotten this email. Let me know!

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 pm

Peregrine wrote:Did anybody else receive an email from Nebraska-Lincoln saying that they were put on the waitlist? They said they'd extend more offers in "early April" and it would be fantastic to get a spot there, but I haven't seen anybody else on this site or thegradcafe who seems to have gotten this email. Let me know!
I was told that I am on the waitlist after I poked them with an email. I'm guessing this is the case for everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance since I haven't seen any rejections.

phucnguyen

Post by phucnguyen » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 am

Has anyone heard anything from UGA? Seems like they are sending out some offers according to gradcafe.

Jayden

Post by Jayden » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:06 am

I had applied to 15 schools and got 5 results so far, including 3 rejects and 2 admits. Since my 2nd offer is one of my top choices, I think I will stop here and will not wait until the April 15th deadline. I decide to accept Purdue once they send me the acceptance link next week. That is very thrilled. My application season will be terminated at this point and good luck for the rest who still waiting and for the coming season's applicants. It is my pleasure to discuss with all of you in this forum. See me at Purdue in August this year. :P

Rise

Post by Rise » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:43 am

Jayden wrote:I had applied to 15 schools and got 5 results so far, including 3 rejects and 2 admits. Since my 2nd offer is one of my top choices, I think I will stop here and will not wait until the April 15th deadline. I decide to accept Purdue once they send me the acceptance link next week. That is very thrilled. My application season will be terminated at this point and good luck for the rest who still waiting and for the coming season's applicants. It is my pleasure to discuss with all of you in this forum. See me at Purdue in August this year. :P
I’m very happy for you man, congratulations :)

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 am

Jayden wrote:I had applied to 15 schools and got 5 results so far, including 3 rejects and 2 admits. Since my 2nd offer is one of my top choices, I think I will stop here and will not wait until the April 15th deadline. I decide to accept Purdue once they send me the acceptance link next week. That is very thrilled. My application season will be terminated at this point and good luck for the rest who still waiting and for the coming season's applicants. It is my pleasure to discuss with all of you in this forum. See me at Purdue in August this year. :P
Congratulations! I too was accepted to one of my top choices (and the only acceptance :lol: ). Wish all of us do well in grad school :D :D :D

egoyaq

Post by egoyaq » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 am

For those people who were admitted to Penn State on February 20/21 have you gotten your financial package and official details yet?

biomath18

Post by biomath18 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 am

egoyaq wrote:For those people who were admitted to Penn State on February 20/21 have you gotten your financial package and official details yet?
Nope

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:43 pm

lambert wrote:I'm pretty confident even if you're #1 on the list they won't increase your stipend for your convenience because graduate offers are kind of final. It's not like you're a Fields medalist they're dying to recruit in their faculty.
It's not as uncommon as you might think. They may not be able to increase your stipend directly if it's just a TA wage, but there may be fellowships they can nominate you for, or other incentive programs that reduce your cost of living in other ways. For instance, several people I know were offered university housing for the entire degree, when it is usually limited to half of that. Considering university housing is approx. half the cost of the housing nearby, this is worth a lot. They got this offer after indicating that this school was their top choice, but that the funding wasn't enough (it's really quite low).

I also know, for instance, that the University of Toronto has a set amount they are required to offer all students, which is very low considering the cost of living in Toronto. However, if you tell them that you want to attend but cannot afford to on that stipend, they are able to increase your offer if they wish to.

So, basically, if you really want to attend a school but cannot afford to based on their offer, you have nothing to lose by asking them if it's possible.

thesieve

Post by thesieve » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm

angryapple wrote:Has anyone heard from Auburn or Wake Forest?
I had an interview with Wake Forest about a week and a half ago. They said they’d be finishing things up within a couple of weeks. Looks like people have been rejected, accepted, and waitlisted in the past few days, but my status hasn’t changed from “application under review.” I felt confident after the interview that they would accept me, but I suppose anything can happen. Good luck to you.

Edit: Got an email offering TA/funding. (Hopefully you have heard good news as well.)
Last edited by thesieve on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

math94

Post by math94 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I still have not yet got a response from Michigan. Should I email them?

thecaffeinemachine

Post by thecaffeinemachine » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:33 pm

math94 wrote:I still have not yet got a response from Michigan. Should I email them?
I emailed the grad office and got a generic reply last week saying that my application was still under review. I think you should email the DGS or just wait another week or two(UMich's open house is on 9-10th).

Rise

Post by Rise » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 pm

I just received an email notifying me that I'm waitlisted at University of Washington. Exciting, since it's one of my top four choices!

This probably means that waitlists are being sent out sometime within the next few days.

ROCKLEO

Post by ROCKLEO » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 am

Just got Admitted to ALGANT master program(1st year leiden, 2nd year paris sud), got full tuition waiver and waitlisted for scholarship

vanstar

Post by vanstar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:55 pm

If I am waitlisted, is it wise to email the admission committee chair to express my strong interest in their program again and ask about my rank on the waitlist? The waitlist email says that I am welcome to email the committee chair any time to inquire my status, so I emailed them to ask about my rank on the waitlist but they never got back to me. I am only asking because my friend who is waitlisted by another program just found out there is a spot for her by emailing the DGS herself.

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:19 pm

vanstar wrote:If I am waitlisted, is it wise to email the admission committee chair to express my strong interest in their program again and ask about my rank on the waitlist? The waitlist email says that I am welcome to email the committee chair any time to inquire my status, so I emailed them to ask about my rank on the waitlist but they never got back to me. I am only asking because my friend who is waitlisted by another program just found out there is a spot for her by emailing the DGS herself.
I don't see a problem with it. You are just asking. At worst they won't tell you.

vanstar

Post by vanstar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:09 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
vanstar wrote:If I am waitlisted, is it wise to email the admission committee chair to express my strong interest in their program again and ask about my rank on the waitlist? The waitlist email says that I am welcome to email the committee chair any time to inquire my status, so I emailed them to ask about my rank on the waitlist but they never got back to me. I am only asking because my friend who is waitlisted by another program just found out there is a spot for her by emailing the DGS herself.
I don't see a problem with it. You are just asking. At worst they won't tell you.
Thank you so much for replying! Does it hurt to email them again given that they did not reply me the first time I asked though? I'm kind of afraid that I will annoy them by doing so.

Rise

Post by Rise » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 pm

vanstar wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
Thank you so much for replying! Does it hurt to email them again given that they did not reply me the first time I asked though? I'm kind of afraid that I will annoy them by doing so.
They invited you to email them to ask, and then ignored you when you did. They should be the ones apologizing to you in this situation :x .

kkatekk

Post by kkatekk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you apply to UCLA biomath program. If yes, have you heard back from them? Anyone have an idea when the will send out the decision?

iamgoudan

Post by iamgoudan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Has anyone heard from Brandeis? I emailed the graduate coordinator two weeks ago, but didn't get replied. Based on the record of 2017, they should have sent out some information at this moment.

Cyril

Post by Cyril » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm

iamgoudan wrote:Has anyone heard from Brandeis? I emailed the graduate coordinator two weeks ago, but didn't get replied. Based on the record of 2017, they should have sent out some information at this moment.
I have a friend who just received pure math phd from Brandeis around today or yesterday. He is international. Hope this info helps.

iamgoudan

Post by iamgoudan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Cyril wrote:
iamgoudan wrote:Has anyone heard from Brandeis? I emailed the graduate coordinator two weeks ago, but didn't get replied. Based on the record of 2017, they should have sent out some information at this moment.
I have a friend who just received pure math phd from Brandeis around today or yesterday. He is international. Hope this info helps.
Thank you so much!

Cyril

Post by Cyril » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Does anyone know whether there's still a chance for SUNY Stony Brook?
This is the last school I am waiting for.

q8099086

Post by q8099086 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Cyril wrote:Does anyone know whether there's still a chance for SUNY Stony Brook?
I mailed them last Friday and here is the answer:

All I can tell you at this point is that the committee is still in the decision making process and hopefully you will hear in the next couple of week. I wish I had more information for you.

I guess there is little hope, but you may still have a chance.

Cyril

Post by Cyril » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm

q8099086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:Does anyone know whether there's still a chance for SUNY Stony Brook?
I mailed them last Friday and here is the answer:

All I can tell you at this point is that the committee is still in the decision making process and hopefully you will hear in the next couple of week. I wish I had more information for you.

I guess there is little hope, but you may still have a chance.
Thank you! :oops:

qwerasdfzxcv

Post by qwerasdfzxcv » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 pm

Has anyone still not heard from UCLA (for pure math)?

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 pm

qwerasdfzxcv wrote:Has anyone still not heard from UCLA (for pure math)?
I thought they sent out offers in January. People on the waitlist will probably hear back at the end of March or early April.

runner47

Post by runner47 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:24 am

Has anyone heard if West Virginia U has sent out offers yet? Did anyone else apply there?

hooruru1995

Post by hooruru1995 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 am

Has anyone received the official acceptance letter from Indiana university?

backsmile

Post by backsmile » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Got rejected by UCSD finally, sad

jeffliao1

Post by jeffliao1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 pm

backsmile wrote:Got rejected by UCSD finally, sad
I am still waiting. Hope this is a good sign. Does your application status on the application page change?

badatmath

Post by badatmath » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm

runner47 wrote:Has anyone heard if West Virginia U has sent out offers yet? Did anyone else apply there?
I'm still waiting to hear back from them too! I sent an email out to the graduate director about a week ago, but haven't gotten a response from him so they might be occupied with reviewing applications.

junglemath

Post by junglemath » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 pm

jeffliao1 wrote:
I am still waiting. Hope this is a good sign. Does your application status on the application page change?
It went from "under review" to "denied" as soon as I got rejected.

jeffliao1

Post by jeffliao1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

junglemath wrote:
jeffliao1 wrote:
It went from "under review" to "denied" as soon as I got rejected.
I see, thanks for replying.

ROCKLEO

Post by ROCKLEO » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:10 pm

I am still waiting. Hope this is a good sign. Does your application status on the application page change?[/quote]

Same here! don't know if I'm waitlisted or not

backsmile

Post by backsmile » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 pm

jeffliao1 wrote:
Yeah it is a official decision I think. It has changed to denied.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Rejected off the wait list from Rochester. I was previously told that 'I am not too down on the wait list' and that 'I could expect a decision around mid March.

h5n1boy

Post by h5n1boy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Have anyone heard anything from UCR's Mathematics Department?

phucnguyen

Post by phucnguyen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 pm

My friend emailed Indiana today and they said he was on the waitlist, so if you haven’t heard anything from them you should email them.

comeback

Post by comeback » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Does anyone know what is going on with CMU or Chapel Hill? I haven't heard anything since I applied.

nothing

Post by nothing » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 pm

I believe CMU has not sent any offers yet. I had an interview with them around 10 days ago. From what they told me, they just want to test my english to determine if I should take some english classes in my 1st year ( so I guess it's very likely that they will accept me).

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm

h5n1boy wrote:Have anyone heard anything from UCR's Mathematics Department?
Nope :?

Grinver

Post by Grinver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:17 pm

comeback wrote:Does anyone know what is going on with CMU or Chapel Hill? I haven't heard anything since I applied.
I emailed them about my status, this is what I was told:
"Thank you for your interest in CMU. We have already made a number of offers. We may or may not be able to make a few more. I will keep you posted."

h5n1boy

Post by h5n1boy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm

under_my_wng_yngGxy wrote:
h5n1boy wrote:Have anyone heard anything from UCR's Mathematics Department?
Nope :?
Look like they have a serious delay. Do you happen to know when they will send the first round of acceptance letters ?

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 am

h5n1boy wrote: Look like they have a serious delay. Do you happen to know when they will send the first round of acceptance letters ?

My guess would be that, despite what gradcafe would suggest, they already sent out first round offers. For instance, I know that UC Santa Cruz has already sent out first round offers, but I don't remember seeing any pure math acceptances show of gradcafe. You might want to email them; that's what I did with UCSC.

nothing

Post by nothing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 am

Grinver wrote:
comeback wrote:Does anyone know what is going on with CMU or Chapel Hill? I haven't heard anything since I applied.
I emailed them about my status, this is what I was told:
"Thank you for your interest in CMU. We have already made a number of offers. We may or may not be able to make a few more. I will keep you posted."
Are you talking about domestic applicants or international applicants ? During the interview, i think the prof mentioned that they have not made offers for international applicants yet

junglemath

Post by junglemath » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:31 am

under_my_wng_yngGxy wrote:
h5n1boy wrote: Look like they have a serious delay. Do you happen to know when they will send the first round of acceptance letters ?

My guess would be that, despite what gradcafe would suggest, they already sent out first round offers. For instance, I know that UC Santa Cruz has already sent out first round offers, but I don't remember seeing any pure math acceptances show of gradcafe. You might want to email them; that's what I did with UCSC.
What was the response of UCSC to your poke?