Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
hooruru1995

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by hooruru1995 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:51 am

mathematics wrote:I got in to OSU. No word on funding.
Are you an American? I am an international student with US degree. applied for math Phd, haven't got any words from them.
Do most of schools make earlier decision for citizens than internationals?
Waiting for results is much more painful than expected. :|

korobeiniki

Post by korobeiniki » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am

Got into the University of Chicago for pure math!

It was an email leading to a status update on the app.

rfz

Post by rfz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 am

korobeiniki wrote:Got into the University of Chicago for pure math!

Congratulations! )) i am still waiting results. Very nervous process

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 am

How does the decisions process work?

I guess the best applicants have gotten early decisions. I remember a senior friend of mine got early acceptances from Chicago, Harvard etc. in early to mid January. I guess Chicago even paid to fly him out (we're internationals) to visit the campus. Not sure about this, though.

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 am

Same! Woooo \o/ I still can't believe it.
Junaid456 wrote:How does the decisions process work?

I guess the best applicants have gotten early decisions. I remember a senior friend of mine got early acceptances from Chicago, Harvard etc. in early to mid January. I guess Chicago even paid to fly him out (we're internationals) to visit the campus. Not sure about this, though.
I am an international student and they offered to pay me to visit the campus too.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 am

lothiriell wrote:

Same! Woooo \o/ I still can't believe it.
Junaid456 wrote:How does the decisions process work?

I am an international student and they offered to pay me to visit the campus too.
Awesome, congratulations. I know that senior friend of mine had brilliant credentials (IMO's, flawless transcript, specific research interests in AG, a paper as well based on one of Richard Stanley's works), so I'm assuming you must be in the same boat.

Congrats once again. Let's hope things work out as well for applicants like myself who don't really have a stellar app. This process is nerve wracking as it is.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am

Congrats to you guys!!! Best of luck to everyone who is nervous about applicaitons!

home1915

Post by home1915 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:59 am

Congrats! And good luck to the others!

reiszszsz

Post by reiszszsz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 pm

So it's possible that the Chicago results are only out for international students or just some international students? Congrats to everyone! I am very worried now though.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 pm

reiszszsz wrote:So it's possible that the Chicago results are only out for international students or just some international students? Congrats to everyone! I am very worried now though.
I do think they divide the pools by the location of the home institution. However, I don't know if they make decisions separately or not. Based on past years, the first batch of offers from Chicago did come out not in one single day but 2-3 consecutive days, so there's still hope I guess.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Even other schools send out acceptances over a period of a few days. OSU sent out acceptances on the 7th and 9th.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm

djysyed wrote:Even other schools send out acceptances over a period of a few days. OSU sent out acceptances on the 7th and 9th.
I don't really expect to get into OSU, but my application center still shows "pending/under review" as the application status. I'm not sure what to make of it.

thissiteisdumb

Post by thissiteisdumb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 pm

reiszszsz wrote:So it's possible that the Chicago results are only out for international students or just some international students? Congrats to everyone! I am very worried now though.
I'm a domestic student and I got accepted, so that can't be true. They may just be staggering them though.

EpsilonDelta

Post by EpsilonDelta » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 am

Yale was out too!

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

EpsilonDelta wrote:Yale was out too!
Yeah I got that one! Their funding is insanely high to me!

SMJKRT115

Post by SMJKRT115 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Singularity wrote:
How much? :P

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:35 pm

SMJKRT115 wrote:
Singularity wrote:
How much? :P
Close to 40k per year. I was expecting like 25k. Also no teaching duty first two years.

SMJKRT115

Post by SMJKRT115 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Singularity wrote: Close to 40k per year. I was expecting like 25k. Also no teaching duty first two years.
That IS insanely high.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Rejected from Yale...bummer. Is the cost of living very high around Yale?

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm

thissiteisdumb wrote:
I'm a domestic student and I got accepted, so that can't be true. They may just be staggering them though.
Have you heard anything yet? I just checked my OSU application and mine still says “pending.”

EDIT: sorry, I quoted the wrong post. Question still stands though for people applying to OSU.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Peregrine wrote:
thissiteisdumb wrote:
Have you heard anything yet? I just checked my OSU application and mine still says “pending.”

EDIT: sorry, I quoted the wrong post. Question still stands though for people applying to OSU.
I'm assuming you were referring to my post.

Nope, nothing yet. I don't expect to get into OSU, though. I'm an international with a low MGRE score, and OSU seems to expect a high score on the MGRE from internationals.

Bayesian1701

Post by Bayesian1701 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm

djysyed wrote:Rejected from Yale...bummer. Is the cost of living very high around Yale?
https://gsas.yale.edu/funding-aid/tuition-living-costs
Yale's cost of living projection is about $30,000. $40k is enough to live pretty comfortably for a grad student. I don't know how good Yale's math program is, but it would be hard for me to turn down a great offer at an Ivy. Congrats Singularity.

Even if you don't take funding offers you can anonymously report the stipends here:
http://www.phdstipends.com/ so that future applicants can have an idea of what is typical.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Bayesian1701 wrote:
djysyed wrote:Rejected from Yale...bummer. Is the cost of living very high around Yale?
https://gsas.yale.edu/funding-aid/tuition-living-costs
Yale's cost of living projection is about $30,000. $40k is enough to live pretty comfortably for a grad student. I don't know how good Yale's math program is, but it would be hard for me to turn down a great offer at an Ivy. Congrats Singularity.

Even if you don't take funding offers you can anonymously report the stipends here:
http://www.phdstipends.com/ so that future applicants can have an idea of what is typical.

It is certainly one of the top ten, but not at Harvard and Princeton level even tho in the general public they are viewed equals. Anyway, there is still a lot of waiting for me to do, but it is surely a nice option.

gragragra

Post by gragragra » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Congrats to everyone who got accepted by some school so far. I was waitlisted by Yale this morning and haven't heard from UChicago. I am super nervous right now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Do I still have some chance to get into UChicago :cry:

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Singularity wrote: It is certainly one of the top ten, but not at Harvard and Princeton level even tho in the general public they are viewed equals. Anyway, there is still a lot of waiting for me to do, but it is surely a nice option.
Agreed but it also comes down to what you want to do. They have quite a few Representation Theorists and two Algebraic Geometers so Yale is strong in Algebra.

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Guys, how to stop refreshing gradcafe and this forum every 5 minutes and start living?

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

mishania1996 wrote:Guys, how to stop refreshing gradcafe and this forum every 5 minutes and start living?
Install a browser-extension and block the websites for 24 hours at a time.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm

gragragra wrote:Congrats to everyone who got accepted by some school so far. I was waitlisted by Yale this morning and haven't heard from UChicago. I am super nervous right now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Do I still have some chance to get into UChicago :cry:
I'm sure you still have a chance for Chicago. Otherwise why wouldn't they reject people by now? I think Chicago wants to wait and see what happens when schools like Princeton release their offers. I'm sure some of the Chicago admit might decide not to come and tell Chicago early. Then they might take a few more. I rmb last year some guy got into Chicago on about 1/24.

SMJKRT115

Post by SMJKRT115 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Singularity wrote:
gragragra wrote:Congrats to everyone who got accepted by some school so far. I was waitlisted by Yale this morning and haven't heard from UChicago. I am super nervous right now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Do I still have some chance to get into UChicago :cry:
I'm sure you still have a chance for Chicago. Otherwise why wouldn't they reject people by now? I think Chicago wants to wait and see what happens when schools like Princeton release their offers. I'm sure some of the Chicago admit might decide not to come and tell Chicago early. Then they might take a few more. I rmb last year some guy got into Chicago on about 1/24.
This is true, but I don't recommend counting on it, as the chances of being admitted off a waitlist are significantly lower; focus on your other options and let Chicago be a pleasant surprise if it happens.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm

SMJKRT115 wrote:
Singularity wrote:
This is true, but I don't recommend counting on it, as the chances of being admitted off a waitlist are significantly lower; focus on your other options and let Chicago be a pleasant surprise if it happens.
Certainly. In fact we shouldn't be thinking about any schools by now. we should just play hard and study hard. We can't help it anymore so just let offers all be surprises.

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 am

mishania1996 wrote:Guys, how to stop refreshing gradcafe and this forum every 5 minutes and start living?
No life, only math now ;_;

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 am

Looks like a couple people on gradcafe got into Chicago yesterday. Seems like they are still accepting people.

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 am

According to gradcafe almost every accepted student so far has above 160 on verbal of gre general. Do they really care so much about this part?

spijuank

Post by spijuank » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

mishania1996 wrote:According to gradcafe almost every accepted student so far has above 160 on verbal of gre general. Do they really care so much about this part?
Probably not. I think it's more of a correlation thing; people with overall strong profiles don't usually tend to score below 160. In fact, you'll notice that scores above 167 and even perfect scores are extremely common among admitted students in top programs, but you'll seldom see anything but stellar results in the other aspects of the application anyway. I think they won't care about the score as long as your MGRE is impressive enough for them to comfortably ignore it.
Last edited by spijuank on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm

According to one of the professors at UChicago, this year's applicant pool is the strongest they have seen in quite a while.

gradapps2017

Post by gradapps2017 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm

djysyed wrote:According to one of the professors at UChicago, this year's applicant pool is the strongest they have seen in quite a while.
Who told you that?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Peter May. I emailed him regarding the UChicago REU and snuck in "Since my research interests line up exactly with yours, would you be able to look over my file?".

EGA

Post by EGA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

djysyed wrote:According to one of the professors at UChicago, this year's applicant pool is the strongest they have seen in quite a while.
I'd take this with a grain of salt. This sounds like a generic response a professor might send to an earnest prospective student. If we think the competition is unusually hard, we may not take it as hard to receive a rejection, as well as feel quite proud to receive an acceptance. Honestly, I think the competition is consistently extremely strong for the top schools (e.g. Chicago).

I do wonder to what extent the applicant pool varies (in terms of qualification) from year to year though.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 am

EGA wrote: I'd take this with a grain of salt. This sounds like a generic response a professor might send to an earnest prospective student. If we think the competition is unusually hard, we may not take it as hard to receive a rejection, as well as feel quite proud to receive an acceptance. Honestly, I think the competition is consistently extremely strong for the top schools (e.g. Chicago).

I do wonder to what extent the applicant pool varies (in terms of qualification) from year to year though.
I agree. Looking through the profiles of admitted students, especially Singularity's, makes me wonder what I should have done differently.

Edit: Harvard applied math is making moves

lambert

Post by lambert » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 am

djysyed wrote:
EGA wrote: I'd take this with a grain of salt. This sounds like a generic response a professor might send to an earnest prospective student. If we think the competition is unusually hard, we may not take it as hard to receive a rejection, as well as feel quite proud to receive an acceptance. Honestly, I think the competition is consistently extremely strong for the top schools (e.g. Chicago).

I agree. Looking through the profiles of admitted students, especially Singularity's, makes me wonder what I should have done differently.

Edit: Harvard applied math is making moves
I might be understanding this wrong but where did Singularity state he got into Chicago? That's now what I garner from his posts.
mishania1996 wrote:According to gradcafe almost every accepted student so far has above 160 on verbal of gre general. Do they really care so much about this part?
That's purely coincidental and correlation never implies causation. Really if I were you I would stop obsessing over accepted student stats in here and gradcafe and just patiently wait for an e-mail. Like only 3 schools have given out results, there will be plenty more coming in the following two-three months.

keith

Post by keith » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I heard from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.
Last edited by keith on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

keith wrote:Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I head from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:01 pm

lambert wrote: I might be understanding this wrong but where did Singularity state he got into Chicago? That's now what I garner from his posts.
Misread, woops.
keith wrote:Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I heard from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.
I was told yes because if that professor doesn't like your profile, then your profile goes back for regular screening. I emailed all the professors who I was interested in working under (3-4 per school) and one of them is usually on the admissions committee.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Are there more results about to come out next week?

keith

Post by keith » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Singularity wrote:
keith wrote:Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I head from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.
What did you say?

curvature-form

Post by curvature-form » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Singularity wrote:Are there more results about to come out next week?
I hope so, but I have no idea :?

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 pm

keith wrote:Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I heard from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.
I would think no unless you have something worth while to say. If you're just trying to get application points it probably shows through, right? What does everyone else think?

EGA

Post by EGA » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 pm

UCLA appears to have sent out a first round of acceptances based on my latest reconnaissance over on gradcafe.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Aw crap, UCLA is one of the schools I put my money on (technically we all put our money on all schools we applied to) so this kinda makes me nervous.

jxwatmg

Post by jxwatmg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Got accepted by Yale, and still waiting for UChicago... This is really torturous :|
Thank god this is only the first round. Cannot imagine how I will feel in ten days :|
Wish you all good luck~