No Publications: Does This Matter?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
FreddieBiddleBooty

No Publications: Does This Matter?

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 am

Hey!

I am a masters student at a not-so-well known university with no publications. I have only a pre-thesis in number theory, and a pre-project in another topic (number theory with a different advisor). I also have an REU from undergrad with no publication. I know a lot of applicants have publications before they apply to schools. How important do you guys think this is? I guess I will also ask stackexchange academia this as well.

How would you compare someone with one (or two) publications to someone with a research profile similar to mine, in terms of grad school admissions?

Thanks all!

kieroda

Re: No Publications: Does This Matter?

Post by kieroda » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:15 am

Most people apply with no publications. Also, while publications do help, letters of recommendation are the most important thing, so just having a thesis adviser to recommend you is quite helpful.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:13 am

It also depends on the level of someone's publication. If a student produces an original high level research, then you will definitely have trouble against him or her. However, if it's some small project which you could have easily done yourself, then it's anyones game.

nothing

Post by nothing » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 am

It mostly depends on the journal which that paper is published in. Most of the A and A* journals on austm are professional journals. If you have publications on A* journals than it certainly helps. However, I don't think it helps for the top 10 programs.