Low MGRE Score -- Should I even bother applying now?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Junaid456

Low MGRE Score -- Should I even bother applying now?

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:52 am

My profile:

Undergrad Institution: International, relatively unknown
Major: Economics and Mathematics
Minor: Physics
GPA: 3.85
Type of Student: International, Asian Male

GRE Revised General Test: Taking on 4th December. Aiming for a 160+ on Q.
Q: xxx (xx%)
V: xxx (xx%)
W: xx

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: 600 (37%). Completely messed it up.

Programme Applying: Ph.D Pure Mathematics (key research area of interest: analysis/mathematical physics). Seriously doubting now if I should even apply or not?

Other Information:

1. I don't have a lot of mathematics courses on my transcript. I have 3-4 upper division courses in analysis and topology only. All A's though. My degree was quite broad, but I now realize I should have taken more pure math courses.

2. Extensive self studied plan. I have self studied linear algebra, complex analysis, analysis in R^n, algebra on my own. I'm currently learning a bit of Module Theory and Measure Theory. I'll get all of this information reflected in the letter from a mathematician. She said this could be one of my strong points. 2 other letters will be from physicists.

3. Extensive TA experience. I'm also currently working as a full time TA during my time off in the mathematics department.

4. I have a publication in my minor area, physics.

I'm not sure if I should consider applying to colleges, especially top 40-50 PhD programs now. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Last edited by Junaid456 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tianma799

Re: MGRE Score -- Should I even bother applying now?

Post by Tianma799 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:08 am

Yes, as long as you make a wise choice of schools. Last time when I applied, my score was the same as yours and my safe school was Notre Dame. Didn't get in anywhere obviously :D

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 am

Tianma799 wrote:Yes, as long as you make a wise choice of schools. Last time when I applied, my score was the same as yours and my safe school was Notre Dame. Didn't get in anywhere obviously :D
What would you consider to be a wise choice of target schools, given my profile? I'd appreciate any and all advice based on your seeing my profile.

I need to seriously reconsider my list of colleges now.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:26 am

Junaid456 wrote:
Tianma799 wrote:Yes, as long as you make a wise choice of schools. Last time when I applied, my score was the same as yours and my safe school was Notre Dame. Didn't get in anywhere obviously :D
What would you consider to be a wise choice of target schools, given my profile? I'd appreciate any and all advice based on your seeing my profile.

What was your list of target schools before you know the score?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:37 am

Tianma799 wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:

What was your list of target schools before you know the score?

I was initially thinking of applying to a wide range of schools as well. I'll list down the different categories of schools, broadly speaking, and a few representative schools.

1. AMS Group I: 4-7 schools. I was thinking of applying to such schools as UIUC, UW Madison, U of Minnesota, Indiana University Bloomington, Purdue, Ohio State, UT Austin.

The last two said we can waive the application fee so I thought why not. I guess I'll have to drop this category now altogether.

2. AMS Group II: 5-8 schools. I was thinking to applying to such schools as Rochester, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Arizona State, UC Riverside.

Rochester said I'll be competitive if I get 700+. Again, I'm not sure of my chances in this category as well.

3. Some middle-tier master's only programs that have funding for internationals and have a good record of placing students in top 30-40 schools: Wake Forest. Miami University, Ball State, Boise State.

4. Applied Math programs that have strong pure math cores/interdisciplinary programs in physics and mathematics. I was mostly going to look at Canada/Europe in this category. Most Canadian schools (Waterloo, Simon Fraser etc.) are competitive as well, though. Funding seems to be the main problem in Europe.

I was thinking of applying to somewhere between 17-25 schools along these lines, depending on the amount of funds I have in my savings account and the probability of my external TA contract getting renewed at my home university's math department.

Any suggestions from you and other people would be very much appreciated.

Edit:

Relevant links:

AMS Group I -- http://www.ams.org/profession/data/annu ... ey/group_i (Top 50 public and private)

AMS Group II -- http://www.ams.org/profession/data/annu ... y/group_ii (50-100).

Junaid456

Re: Low MGRE Score -- Should I even bother applying now?

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:50 am

Bump. Anyone? I'm currently having such a torried time. -_-

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm

I think 25 will be too many. I think your score wouldn't hurt you if you apply to those that don't require it, just don't send them if they don't require, so you really don't need to stress out that much.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Tianma799 wrote:I think 25 will be too many. I think your score wouldn't hurt you if you apply to those that don't require it, just don't send them if they don't require, so you really don't need to stress out that much.
Hi,

Would it be all right with you if I send you a follow up message via PM on this topic? I'd like some more soecific advice.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
Tianma799 wrote:I think 25 will be too many. I think your score wouldn't hurt you if you apply to those that don't require it, just don't send them if they don't require, so you really don't need to stress out that much.
Hi,

Would it be all right with you if I send you a follow up message via PM on this topic? I'd like some more soecific advice.
Yes, but I don't know much about math physics programs so…… :D

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Bump!

The following is the tentative list of colleges to which I shall be applying:

University of Minnesota,
UMich Ann Arbor
Dartmouth (fee waived, so why not?)
SUNY
Arizona State
Kansas State
Texas A&M
University of Rochester
University of Florida
Ohio State (high reach but app costs only 5 bucks)
UIUC
GATech

Am I still reaching too high? I'm not sure if I'll be competitive at these schools given my "awesome" GRE score. :|

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Junaid456 wrote:Bump!

University of Minnesota,
UMich Ann Arbor
SUNY
Arizona State
Kansas State
Texas A&M
University of Rochester
University of Florida
UIUC
GATech
UW Madison

Am I still reaching too high? I'm not sure if I'll be competitive at these schools given my "awesome" GRE score. :|

kieroda

Post by kieroda » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Looks fine to me. You have a wide spread of trying some high ranked schools, while also being fairly sure you'll get in somewhere.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:55 pm

I would recommend UIC because anything above 50% is considered competitive enough.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:02 pm

djysyed wrote:I would recommend UIC because anything above 50% is considered competitive enough.
:D Applied already. Thank you so much.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:03 pm

Junaid456 wrote:

University of Minnesota,
UMich Ann Arbor
SUNY
Arizona State
Kansas State
Texas A&M
University of Rochester
University of Florida
UIUC
GATech
UW Madison

What SUNY are you going to apply?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:55 am

Tianma799 wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:

University of Minnesota,
UMich Ann Arbor
SUNY
Arizona State
Kansas State
Texas A&M
University of Rochester
University of Florida
UIUC
GATech
UW Madison

What SUNY are you going to apply?
Stony Brook University., Math Department. They have the Simons Center in Geometry and Topology there and really, really good analysis and geometry groups.

Unfortunately, it's a high reach for me, even if it doesn't require the math GRE. The grad director emailed me and said I only have a thin chance. :|