Low mGRE Score

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Bottomology

Low mGRE Score

Post by Bottomology » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:45 am

I got a 770 (74%) on the math GRE on the October test. I would like to go to a good graduate school, studying differential geometry. Should I retake? What should I aim for? Thanks!

Junaid456

Re: Low mGRE Score

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:51 am

I got a 600. Your score is much, much better.

Schools like Rochester, UCSB, UIUC responded to me by saying a score of 700+ will make you competitive. I'm an unconventional applicant with an unconventional background (see the post I posted an hour ago with similar concerns). If you have solid coursework and good research experience, I assume you'll have a solid chance, though I must admit I, myself, still have to go through the application process now.

Good luck!

P.S: I knew I bombed the test, and I would have killed for a ~750. Totally bombed it.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 am

Junaid456 wrote:I got a 600. Your score is much, much better.

Schools like Rochester, UCSB, UIUC responded to me by saying a score of 700+ will make you competitive. I'm an unconventional applicant with an unconventional background (see the post I posted an hour ago with similar concerns). If you have solid coursework and good research experience, I assume you'll have a solid chance, though I must admit I, myself, still have to go through the application process now.

Good luck!

P.S: I knew I bombed the test, and I would have killed for a ~750. Totally bombed it.
Did you also mention that you are international? Like did they say anything about different bars for domestic and international students...?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 am

Tianma799 wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:I got a 600. Your score is much, much better.

Good luck!

Did you also mention that you are international? Like did they say anything about different bars for domestic and international students...?

Yes. I did mention in the bio-data I sent them I am an Asian and an international student.

The bar is definitely different for international students. The median GRE score for internationals at Ohio State is >90 percentile, and the median GRE score for domenstoc applicants is around 65 percentile. You can find this information in an info graphic on the department's website.

EGA

Post by EGA » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Bottomology wrote:I got a 770 (74%) on the math GRE on the October test. I would like to go to a good graduate school, studying differential geometry. Should I retake? What should I aim for? Thanks!
I suppose this depends on what you mean by a 'good graduate school'. If you're aiming for Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago, MIT, or Berkeley, a 770 will probably get you rejected. On the other hand, at most other places, a 770 is just fine, and you should be more worried about the rest of your application.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:01 pm

EGA wrote:
Bottomology wrote:I got a 770 (74%) on the math GRE on the October test. I would like to go to a good graduate school, studying differential geometry. Should I retake? What should I aim for? Thanks!
I suppose this depends on what you mean by a 'good graduate school'. If you're aiming for Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago, MIT, or Berkeley, a 770 will probably get you rejected. On the other hand, at most other places, a 770 is just fine, and you should be more worried about the rest of your application.
Ideally, I'd like to go to one of the six schools you mentioned, but my top priority is getting a good advisor in a school that is strong in my area of interest (differential geometry, knot theory). Are you sure that I can basically get anywhere else with my score? If so I might not retake.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Bottomology wrote:
EGA wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to go to one of the six schools you mentioned, but my top priority is getting a good advisor in a school that is strong in my area of interest (differential geometry, knot theory). Are you sure that I can basically get anywhere else with my score? If so I might not retake.
I think as long as your score is no so low that they will trash your application without even looking at it then you should try, if you can afford the app fee.

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Why would you be worried about this score? This means you did better than almost three quarters of the test-taking population. Also this test is NOT the most important component of a graduate application (so I'm told, but I believe it).

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:41 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
Why would you be worried about this score? This means you did better than almost three quarters of the test-taking population. Also this test is NOT the most important component of a graduate application (so I'm told, but I believe it).
The consensus seems to be that a competitive applicant needs an 80% or higher to be considered for a top school.

regularitylemma

Post by regularitylemma » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Bottomology wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
The consensus seems to be that a competitive applicant needs an 80% or higher to be considered for a top school.
If you're keen on the top schools and have a year to retake then you should. Getting above 80% will surely help. I regret taking the test on the last possible date and not giving myself that option.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Junaid456 wrote: Schools like Rochester, UCSB, UIUC responded to me by saying a score of 700+ will make you competitive.
Did you ask for UIUC's PhD program or Masters program?

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Ah yes... it's probably true that you should optimize your MGRE score for top schools to be competitive enough, if that is your goal.