Profile evaluation, Safety Schools (International) - Help please!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Junaid456

Profile evaluation, Safety Schools (International) - Help please!

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:30 am

Undergrad Institution: International, relatively unknown
Major: Economics and Mathematics
Minor: Physics
GPA: 3.85
Type of Student: International, Asian Male

GRE Revised General Test: Taking on 4th December. Aiming for a 165+ on Q and a respectable 160 (or 160) on V.
Q: xxx (xx%)
V: xxx (xx%)
W: xx

Taking as estimates based on a Power Prep practice Q: 166 V: 160 W: N/A. Got the last wrong on the second question. I need to do more drills on the some types of questions, geometry etc.

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics: Taken Oct 28th. I completely messed up. Time wasn't a huge factor but I underperformed under the time constraint. Got easy problems wrong, some theory based problems wrong, and some hard/long computational problems wrong which appear towards the end of the exam.

I know have around 20-22 wrong. Hoping for a score between 700 and 750, by chance.

Programme Applying: Ph.D Pure Mathematics (key research area of interest: analysis/mathematical physics)

Other Information:

1. I don't have a lot of mathematics courses on my transcript. I have 3-4 upper division courses in analysis and topology only. All A's though. My degree was quite broad, but I now realize I should have taken more pure math courses.

2. Extensive self studied plan. I have self studied linear algebra, complex analysis, analysis in R^n, algebra on my own. I'm currently learning a bit of Module Theory and Measure Theory. I'll get all of this information reflected in the letter from a mathematician. 2 other letters will be from physicists.

3. Extensive TA experience. I'm also currently working as a full time TA during my time off in the mathematics department.

Applyting to Where (tentative list)

Master's Only Programs:

Ball State University
Boise State University
Miami University
Wake Forest University
Western Illinois University
Eastern Illinois University
San Diego State University

PhD's:

Indiana University Bloomington
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dartmouth College
University of Rochester
Syracuse University

and other Group II and Group III universities. Currently researching more colleges.

I would really appreciate some feedback as to how realistic these choices are. I will be happy to get into a Master's only program for now, so I can then get into a good PhD program to the best of my potential. The Master's programs listed above do seem to have departmental funding for students in the form of assistant ships.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by Junaid456 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junaid456

Re: Profile evaluation (international student) - Help please!

Post by Junaid456 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Anyone?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 pm

I would recommend applying to the University of Illinois at Chicago. A few students were admitted with a 60% on their subject GRE and only the typical undergraduate coursework.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm

djysyed wrote:I would recommend applying to the University of Illinois at Chicago. A few students were admitted with a 60% on their subject GRE and only the typical undergraduate coursework.

I'll look into it. I'm assuming it is a group II school, rivht? Would you know anything about the strength of the program, in general.

As I said in my original post, I'd be happy to get into a master's program for now so I can get into a PhD program to the best of my potential, but yes, I'll look into their program for the time being as well.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

I just checked. It's group I, public.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:48 pm

I currently go there and take courses with the graduate students. They don't have a pure math masters program and would never give you funding if you wanted a pure math PhD. However, you can sneak in as an applied math masters student, get full funding, and start off with graduate pure math courses.

The applied math program is not very strong so you can easily get in. However, their pure math PhD program is fairly strong (I still think you have a chance) but, if you are interested in Algebraic Geometry, UIC is tough to get into as their Algebraic Geometry is top 10.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:32 pm

djysyed wrote:I currently go there and take courses with the graduate students. They don't have a pure math masters program and would never give you funding if you wanted a pure math PhD. However, you can sneak in as an applied math masters student, get full funding, and start off with graduate pure math courses.

The applied math program is not very strong so you can easily get in. However, their pure math PhD program is fairly strong (I still think you have a chance) but, if you are interested in Algebraic Geometry, UIC is tough to get into as their Algebraic Geometry is top 10.
How about topology?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 am

djysyed wrote:I currently go there and take courses with the graduate students. They don't have a pure math masters program and would never give you funding if you wanted a pure math PhD. However, you can sneak in as an applied math masters student, get full funding, and start off with graduate pure math courses.

Thanks for your personalized response.

I was referring to getting into some middle tier master's only program in pure mathematics. Some of them have funding for internationals. I'm sure, even if I attend such a program, my chances of attending a pure math graduate school at a better school will be higher. But yes, you're right, I could try sneaking in a few applications to applied math/mathematical physics programs just to keep an option or two open for me.

My research interests aren't well defined (see the list) but I'll be looking to apply to study analysis at graduate school. Which particular stream? I don't have a lot of idea right now and I think I need more training to be able to make a choice on this front.

What do you think if I apply to the program with the intention of specializing in analysis?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 am

Tianma799 wrote:How about topology?
They have strong Topologists. A few that come to mind are David Dumas, Laura Schaposnik, and Louis Kauffman. If you are into Algebraic Topology, they have Brooke Shipley and Ben Antieau.
Junaid456 wrote: I was referring to getting into some middle tier master's only program in pure mathematics. Some of them have funding for internationals. I'm sure, even if I attend such a program, my chances of attending a pure math graduate school at a better school will be higher. But yes, you're right, I could try sneaking in a few applications to applied math/mathematical physics programs just to keep an option or two open for me.

My research interests aren't well defined (see the list) but I'll be looking to apply to study analysis at graduate school. Which particular stream? I don't have a lot of idea right now and I think I need more training to be able to make a choice on this front.

What do you think if I apply to the program with the intention of specializing in analysis?
You should be able to get into the analysis program just fine. I am not sure if there are many opportunities for Analysis in pure math so you could probably just ask one of the Analysts at UIC if you should apply as applied math or pure math.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:41 am

djysyed wrote:
They have strong Topologists. A few that come to mind are David Dumas, Laura Schaposnik, and Louis Kauffman. If you are into Algebraic Topology, they have Brooke Shipley and Ben Antieau.
Junaid456 wrote: I was referring to getting into some middle tier master's only program in pure mathematics. Some of them have funding for internationals. I'm sure, even if I attend such a program, my chances of attending a pure math graduate school at a better school will be higher. But yes, you're right, I could try sneaking in a few applications to applied math/mathematical physics programs just to keep an option or two open for me.

You should be able to get into the analysis program just fine. I am not sure if there are many opportunities for Analysis in pure math so you could probably just ask one of the Analysts at UIC if you should apply as applied math or pure math.
Thanks for the response, again.

Would you be mind responding to the message I just dropped you via inbox.

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:42 pm

djysyed wrote:

Thank you so much. The only thing I worry about is the safety :(

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Unfortunately, I can't comment about the difficulty of getting into the program. For that, I would email one of the topology professors.

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Junaid456 wrote:I just checked. It's group I, public.
Talking about group 1, 2 and 3 schools, the most recent rating I saw online was the 2011 rating. Is it still valid?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:20 am

Mr Prof wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:I just checked. It's group I, public.
Talking about group 1, 2 and 3 schools, the most recent rating I saw online was the 2011 rating. Is it still valid?
I am not sure as well, but I think it's the best we have. The ranking also matches, to some extent, with the ranking provided by other sources, US News etc.

Junaid456

Re: Profile evaluation, Safety Schools (International) - Help please!

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:10 am

Bump:

Please recommend some low reach/safety schools. My area of interests include analysis and mathematical physics. My research interests aren't well-defined given my background (see above), but I'd like to work in analysis, from my experience thus far. Which field? I am not sure as of yet.

ShockerMath

Post by ShockerMath » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:00 pm

For a safety school, I might recommend Wichita State University. They have a focus in Mathematical Physics and Acoustical Holography but they also have individuals working in Analysis.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm

ShockerMath wrote:For a safety school, I might recommend Wichita State University. They have a focus in Mathematical Physics and Acoustical Holography but they also have individuals working in Analysis.
Thanks. Any suggestions among group I and II schools? Or would all schools in this category be reaches for me?