About recommendation letters

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
silveer

About recommendation letters

Post by silveer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:46 pm

I know that a lot of students try to apply to a large number of universities in order to increase their chances to be accepted. Every University requires recommendation letters from yours professors, so do you make them to provide so many references?
Most of my professors, when they were asked about letters, told that they have no time to prepare it, and they offered me to do it by myself so they could just read it and either change or sign papers. When I mentioned that the letter has to be sent online, they told me to do it by myself and just let them check the references out. I don't know if some of them agree to repeat this procedure a lot of times.
How do you get letters from your professors?
Last edited by silveer on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

hrmmmmm

Re: About recommendation letters

Post by hrmmmmm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:43 pm

I've heard of people writing their own letters, but it's not really a position you want to be in. The biggest thing is to make sure your recommenders have plenty of time. At the very least a month before the first deadline. I often let mine know a couple months in advance and then get them materials about a month before they are due.

silveer

Post by silveer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 pm

I clearly understand that (
I thought about my supervisor's letter can be shown to other professors so they could use it as a guideline...
Although, only one of them speaks English fluently, so writing and sending letters could be difficult for another. If, for example, they could write references (or rewrite supervisor’s one in their own words) and give it for translation, how they supposed to send it in a number of universities?
As far as I know, this process includes registration, and that could be difficult.

origin415

Post by origin415 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Applying to many universities isn't a problem, once they write a recommendation, they can use it for all of the schools you apply to. My recommenders all encouraged me to apply to more schools.

I don't know about translation and such though.