Which applied mathematics program has the highest ranking? Please help me choose! Honest opinions and advice requested.

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aurkoa

Which applied mathematics program has the highest ranking? Please help me choose! Honest opinions and advice requested.

Post by aurkoa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 am

Hello

Out of the following, please rank the following applied mathematics programs based on how good they are, their research capacity, and jobs after PhD. A brief explanation for your choices would be priceless. Thanks!

1. University of North Carolina- Charlotte

2. Florida State University

3. Iowa State University

4. University of South Carolina

5. Virginia Tech

6. Washington State University

aurkoa

Re: Which applied mathematics program has the highest ranking? Please help me choose! Honest opinions and advice request

Post by aurkoa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Thank you for your response. This is the wikipedia of rankings. It's where we all start, but I was hoping if anyone with more insight into these programs like actual experience as a PhD student at those schools maybe able to shed some light on it. Also, these rankings are 3 years old, and although a lot may not have changed since then, there might have been a slight shift here and there.

xiaozs1995

Re: Which applied mathematics program has the highest ranking? Please help me choose! Honest opinions and advice request

Post by xiaozs1995 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:59 am

I think in this case Iowa State has much better reputation in applied math than others

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 pm

xiaozs1995 wrote:I think in this case Iowa State has much better reputation in applied math than others
Better than Virginia Tech???
aurkoa wrote:
Thank you for your response. This is the wikipedia of rankings. It's where we all start, but I was hoping if anyone with more insight into these programs like actual experience as a PhD student at those schools maybe able to shed some light on it. Also, these rankings are 3 years old, and although a lot may not have changed since then, there might have been a slight shift here and there.
This is a board for people who are not even in graduate school yet. Most of us haven't even written the GRE's and of those that have, we're still waiting on being accepted for grad school this fall. Nobody here can help you the way you want to be helped.

aurkoa

Post by aurkoa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:
xiaozs1995 wrote:I think in this case Iowa State has much better reputation in applied math than others
Better than Virginia Tech???
aurkoa wrote:
This is a board for people who are not even in graduate school yet. Most of us haven't even written the GRE's and of those that have, we're still waiting on being accepted for grad school this fall. Nobody here can help you the way you want to be helped.
Hmm, I think you may be right. Actually, I asked this question already at the grad cafe and did not get helpful feedback, so thought, might as well try it here. Thanks, though.

kieroda

Post by kieroda » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Maybe a bit late for your question, but the career and education questions section of the math subreddit might be helpful. There are a decent amount of current and former PhD students there.