I was an Honorable Mention for the NSF GRFP, should I tell the schools i've yet to hear from?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Pentaki

I was an Honorable Mention for the NSF GRFP, should I tell the schools i've yet to hear from?

Post by Pentaki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 am

So NSF GRFP awards are out. Sadly, I didn't get the fellowship, but I did get honorable mention. I don't get money, but I do get access to time on a supercomputer and some other cyberinfrastructure resources. Is this worth informing schools that I haven't heard from/have waitlisted me? Wouldn't want to bother them with something that hardly matters

packfan89

Re: I was an Honorable Mention for the NSF GRFP, should I tell the schools i've yet to hear from?

Post by packfan89 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 pm

I don't have any information but want to congratulate you on the honorable mention! You've got it next year!

verysweetjuices

Re: I was an Honorable Mention for the NSF GRFP, should I tell the schools i've yet to hear from?

Post by verysweetjuices » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 am

Pentaki wrote:So NSF GRFP awards are out. Sadly, I didn't get the fellowship, but I did get honorable mention. I don't get money, but I do get access to time on a supercomputer and some other cyberinfrastructure resources. Is this worth informing schools that I haven't heard from/have waitlisted me? Wouldn't want to bother them with something that hardly matters
Why would you tell them that you were rejected for the award?

Pentaki

Post by Pentaki » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:30 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:
Why would you tell them that you were rejected for the award?
Not everyone gets honorable mention, so it's slightly better than nothing. Also I can reapply next year, so it shows I have a decent chance of getting it. It's not worthless, just it's not nearly as good as $$$. Hence my indecision