Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
benguin

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Post by benguin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:50 am

I'm definitely looking forward to such free trips!

Hi yall, I told myself I'd post my applicant profile and say "hi" once I got my first acceptance which I recently just did (Georgia Tech's PhD ACO program) so "hi!". I've been stalking the forums for awhile but was too lazy to make an account and post anything :lol:

My goal was to get into at least one school other than UH Manoa (I'm from Hawaii) so it's certainly a relief/surprise to receive an offer at this point in time :)

rlightec

Post by rlightec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Hello everyone, has anyone of heard back from UNC Chapel Hill? I only see one acceptance from Jan 19th so far on thegradcafe.com. There aren't many postings from previous years either.

spablo

Post by spablo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 pm

rlightec wrote:Hello everyone, has anyone of heard back from UNC Chapel Hill? I only see one acceptance from Jan 19th so far on thegradcafe.com. There aren't many postings from previous years either.
I have not heard anything from UNC, which is surprising since it was my first deadline (and I am not sure if I should consider it a bad thing that I haven't been given a response). I also haven't heard back from GA Tech either (I applied to the Pure Math PhD--I am not sure if they have been admitting people yet, or if it has just been the inter-disciplinary programs), nor any of the other programs which I applied to. It's killing me :oops:

rlightec

Post by rlightec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:00 pm

^ Thank you for your reply. Waiting to hear from schools is really stressful. And yes, UNC had a Dec 15th deadline, so you would think they would release results a bit earlier, but apparently not.

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:03 pm

rlightec wrote:Hello everyone, has anyone of heard back from UNC Chapel Hill? I only see one acceptance from Jan 19th so far on thegradcafe.com. There aren't many postings from previous years either.
Their deadline for math is February 14. Wait until after the deadline.

fierydemon

Post by fierydemon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Turns out Berkeley and Brown have rolled out their first batch of offers. I have begun to lose my mind.

Voided

Post by Voided » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Just got my first response, rejection from U Chicago. Was expecting it but it's disheartening when it's the only decision I've had so far.

rlightec

Post by rlightec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:55 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:
Their deadline for math is February 14. Wait until after the deadline.
Well not really. If you want regular funding like teaching assistantship, you need to apply by Dec 15th. The website does indicate though decisions will be sent out in early February which I have missed earlier.

babytownfrolics

Post by babytownfrolics » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:40 pm

I was wondering: If I get an acceptance for Fall 2017 admission with a graduate teaching fellowship that includes an optional summer appointment, will I be able to take that appointment beginning in summer 2017, or will it normally begin summer 2018?

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 pm

babytownfrolics wrote:I was wondering: If I get an acceptance for Fall 2017 admission with a graduate teaching fellowship that includes an optional summer appointment, will I be able to take that appointment beginning in summer 2017, or will it normally begin summer 2018?
Summer 2018. Why would they pay you before you enroll? Typically you don't want a summer teaching appointment... you want the summer off to do research.

Foobanana

Post by Foobanana » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Some guy got accepted to Duke and it wasn't me.... I think it's time to steal some identities :P

mathandcoffee

Post by mathandcoffee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Those of you who got results from schools with rolling admissions - how long did it take for schools to make a decision? Anxiously awaiting results :shock:

omhk

Post by omhk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:47 pm

There were a couple of acceptances to Brown's applied math program this weekend then a whole bunch of rejections today, but I still haven't heard back from them...haven't heard from 6 schools still and the wait is killing me!

fierydemon

Post by fierydemon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:17 pm

omhk wrote:There were a couple of acceptances to Brown's applied math program this weekend then a whole bunch of rejections today, but I still haven't heard back from them...haven't heard from 6 schools still and the wait is killing me!
I called Brown. They've made 22 offers, and will not be making any more. They do not have a waitlist.

fierydemon

Post by fierydemon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:18 pm

mathandcoffee wrote:Those of you who got results from schools with rolling admissions - how long did it take for schools to make a decision? Anxiously awaiting results :shock:
I was asked for a supplemental form, and a decision was made within a week of me submitting the form

omhk

Post by omhk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:26 pm

fierydemon wrote:I called Brown. They've made 22 offers, and will not be making any more. They do not have a waitlist.
Thanks for letting me know. I guess I haven't gotten in then. It was definitely a big reach school for me, but I also don't think my research interests fit in as well as it did with other schools, so it was probably to be expected (among the fact that I also didn't submit a subject test score).

I'm not sure why my status won't update though. Tons of people have posted on grad cafe that they got the rejection notice via the website. It is the ApplyWeb site, right?

Oh well, fingers crossed for the remaining schools :)

Edit: fierydemon said he called the pure math dept, not applied math
Last edited by omhk on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

420math

Post by 420math » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:21 am

How would one rank these schools for analysis?

University of Oregon
University of Maryland @ college park
University of Missouri
University of California @ Davis
ENSI Caen/ENS Paris

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 am

420math wrote:How would one rank these schools for analysis?

University of Oregon
University of Maryland @ college park
University of Missouri
University of California @ Davis
ENSI Caen/ENS Paris
Maryland > UC Davis > Oregon > Missouri

ENS is hard to compare to American schools. They're different. ENS is amazing, though.

zkx12345

Post by zkx12345 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Will universities generally fund travelling costs for offer-holder weekends/open days? I received an offer from Michigan and have been invited to the recruitment weekend, but would unlikely be able to pay for flights myself (I'm an international student). I don't want my first email to them to be a request for more financial assistance, so was wondering what the general consensus on these sort of things is! Thanks

k99731

Post by k99731 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:55 pm

zkx12345 wrote:Will universities generally fund travelling costs for offer-holder weekends/open days? I received an offer from Michigan and have been invited to the recruitment weekend, but would unlikely be able to pay for flights myself (I'm an international student). I don't want my first email to them to be a request for more financial assistance, so was wondering what the general consensus on these sort of things is! Thanks
The Berlin Math School has reimbursement for their open house. I think it is okay to ask if they provide reimbursement (for air tickets). Also you can search for more information in last year's sweat thread.

omhk

Post by omhk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Found out informally today that I was recommended for admission to Brown's applied math department and nominated for a fellowship. Holy hell, I really wasn't expecting to get in at all since I didn't submit a subject test score at all and I've been out of school for 3 years now. Still feeling a little jittery

solveit

Post by solveit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Um, the gradcafe water polo post claiming to have been accepted to MIT is trolling, right?

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07 pm

omhk wrote:Found out informally today that I was recommended for admission to Brown's applied math department and nominated for a fellowship. Holy hell, I really wasn't expecting to get in at all since I didn't submit a subject test score at all and I've been out of school for 3 years now. Still feeling a little jittery
Apparently, I should have applied to Brown.

korobeiniki

Post by korobeiniki » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:23 pm

solveit wrote:Um, the gradcafe water polo post claiming to have been accepted to MIT is trolling, right?
It's very easy to troll there so I imagine so. I feel like MIT has already given out acceptances.

A related question: do universities typically send out acceptances all-at-once or in batches? For example I know Princeton sends everything on the same day (acceptances, waitlists and rejections). I don't know about other universities though. If you see, say, MIT or Berkeley sending out acceptances (based on gradcafe posts that are not obviously fake) and you keep not getting anything in your e-mail, should you believe that you're likely rejected or on the waitlist?

(I'm sure there's no concrete answer to the above so speculating is fine)

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 pm

korobeiniki wrote:
solveit wrote:Um, the gradcafe water polo post claiming to have been accepted to MIT is trolling, right?
It's very easy to troll there so I imagine so. I feel like MIT has already given out acceptances.

A related question: do universities typically send out acceptances all-at-once or in batches? For example I know Princeton sends everything on the same day (acceptances, waitlists and rejections). I don't know about other universities though. If you see, say, MIT or Berkeley sending out acceptances (based on gradcafe posts that are not obviously fake) and you keep not getting anything in your e-mail, should you believe that you're likely rejected or on the waitlist?

Some all at once, some in batches.

hans_k_

Post by hans_k_ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:57 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:
korobeiniki wrote:

Some all at once, some in batches.
So which schools send at once?

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:57 am

hans_k_ wrote:
So which schools send at once?
Brown and Princeton.
There are probably more.

veniamin3253

Post by veniamin3253 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:34 am

MIT is a trade school :) (Sheldon Cooper)

omhk

Post by omhk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Anyone heard from Stanford ICME? Someone posted that offers went out, but there is only one result for this cycle so far, and it's for a masters.

xiaozs1995

Post by xiaozs1995 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:45 pm

omhk wrote:Anyone heard from Stanford ICME? Someone posted that offers went out, but there is only one result for this cycle so far, and it's for a masters.
Pretty sure. I see one post of phd offer@ICME on a Chinese forum.

omhk

Post by omhk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:00 pm

xiaozs1995 wrote:
omhk wrote:Anyone heard from Stanford ICME? Someone posted that offers went out, but there is only one result for this cycle so far, and it's for a masters.
Ah, okay. Congrats to those who got in! I'm happy with the schools I got into so far, and Stanford was always a pipe dream in any case

Xuexue

Post by Xuexue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Just called Brown. They said that they have sent all of their (pure math) offers. "If you haven't heard yet, then I think you can guess what your result is."
Also called MIT, the lady said 'check your emails' from next Monday on.

not_an_engineer

Post by not_an_engineer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Anyone else not yet heard back from a single school? I'm driving myself crazy checking gradcafe all the time... :?

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:26 pm

not_an_engineer wrote:Anyone else not yet heard back from a single school? I'm driving myself crazy checking gradcafe all the time... :?
No I've heard back from quite a few, actually. I haven't heard back yet from Ohio State yet which is funny, but I'm not really interested in going there anyway to be honest.

topologyandtacos

Post by topologyandtacos » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:58 pm

not_an_engineer wrote:Anyone else not yet heard back from a single school? I'm driving myself crazy checking gradcafe all the time... :?
I'm in the same boat. I've had one program contact me about potential fellowship qualifications/awards (which I think is a good sign), but they haven't directly mentinned anything about my acceptance. At this point, I'd be excited to literally hear anything--maybe even a rejection to get that first blow out of the way.

not_an_engineer

Post by not_an_engineer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:27 pm

topologyandtacos wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I've had one program contact me about potential fellowship qualifications/awards (which I think is a good sign), but they haven't directly mentinned anything about my acceptance. At this point, I'd be excited to literally hear anything--maybe even a rejection to get that first blow out of the way.
Me too! Was it Oregon State? :) I want to feel good about it, but don't want to assume I'm in without hearing officially, for risk of getting my hopes up or jinxing it or something. Gah.

xiaozs1995

Post by xiaozs1995 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 pm

omhk wrote:
xiaozs1995 wrote:
Ah, okay. Congrats to those who got in! I'm happy with the schools I got into so far, and Stanford was always a pipe dream in any case
It's weird that there is not even a single post on grad cafe...so they might have more offers coming out. We still have hope!

omhk

Post by omhk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:42 am

xiaozs1995 wrote:It's weird that there is not even a single post on grad cafe...so they might have more offers coming out. We still have hope!
Yeah, I agree. It's a competitive program for sure, but not so competitive that not a single person on here or grad cafe wouldn't have an acceptance. I saw someone added a note to the ICME results on grad cafe that they confirmed "some" offers have been made, but not sure how they know. At this time last year, ICME already sent out rejections too. Maybe they're slow this year.

topologyandtacos

Post by topologyandtacos » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:46 am

not_an_engineer wrote:
topologyandtacos wrote:
Me too! Was it Oregon State? :) I want to feel good about it, but don't want to assume I'm in without hearing officially, for risk of getting my hopes up or jinxing it or something. Gah.
It was! And whenever I correspond with them, they always get back to me so quickly. They told me I would hear from them "very soon," but who knows when that could be lol. Just the little bit I've interacted with them has made me more excited/interested in their program, but I wonder if that's a side-effect of them being the only program I've had contact with?

zkx12345

Post by zkx12345 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:05 am

zkx12345 wrote:Will universities generally fund travelling costs for offer-holder weekends/open days? I received an offer from Michigan and have been invited to the recruitment weekend, but would unlikely be able to pay for flights myself (I'm an international student). I don't want my first email to them to be a request for more financial assistance, so was wondering what the general consensus on these sort of things is! Thanks
Update for anyone else wondering; they've said they'll cover about half the airfare, which still leaves me with a few hundred to pay. Don't know if this partial reimbursement is standard across universities, but I should hopefully be able to cover my half.

On another note, has anyone heard anything about an offer holders' weekend (or something similar) at Duke? Can't find anything online about it so don't even know if there is one, it wasn't mentioned in my acceptance letter.

solveit

Post by solveit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:36 am

If you're going to multiple open houses that are geographically close, the universities may be willing to split the bill for your airfare.

mathandcoffee

Post by mathandcoffee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:26 pm

I haven't heard back from anywhere either. I'm losing my mind :shock:

mathdumb

Post by mathdumb » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Last edited by mathdumb on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

420math

Post by 420math » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:16 am

mathdumb wrote:
mathandcoffee wrote:
I haven't heard back from anywhere either. I'm losing my mind :shock:
Is it normal that all my application are "pending" while I see there are acceptance and rejection from the same school?
It means you didn't get accepted or you were not their first choice and if someone who was their first choice declines their offer you could get an offer.

eulerphi

Post by eulerphi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Just got an email from Stanford saying ICME decisions have been made, and to log onto the "Application Activity Status Page". But I don't see anything there. So nerve wracking..

zihuatanejo

Post by zihuatanejo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm

eulerphi wrote:Just got an email from Stanford saying ICME decisions have been made, and to log onto the "Application Activity Status Page". But I don't see anything there. So nerve wracking..
I'm in the same boat! Think my head is going to burst

eulerphi

Post by eulerphi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm

zihuatanejo wrote:
eulerphi wrote:Just got an email from Stanford saying ICME decisions have been made, and to log onto the "Application Activity Status Page". But I don't see anything there. So nerve wracking..
I'm in the same boat! Think my head is going to burst
Oh, it's up now. As expected I was not admitted.

omhk

Post by omhk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Yup, no go from Stanford ICME for me as well. I got into UT Austin's CSEM today with a nice fellowship though

topologyandtacos

Post by topologyandtacos » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 pm

I was trolling grad cafe earlier and saw the first acceptance for one of my potential programs...but it was for a masters applicant and not a PhD applicant. Is this odd at all?

GT

Post by GT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 am

[delete]
Last edited by GT on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.