Funding in Math Grad schools

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
poincare

Funding in Math Grad schools

Post by poincare » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:48 pm

In graduate school for physics, the competition in certain fields(for example High Energy Theory) is very intense. Does anyone know how the situation is in the fields of mathematics. So, which areas of mathematics are the most difficult to get into for grad school ? I would be particularly interested to know how much funding there is for algebraic geometry or mathematical string theory and how difficult the competition for places could in these fields. Thank you

verysweetjuices

Re: Funding in Math Grad schools

Post by verysweetjuices » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:00 pm

poincare wrote:In graduate school for physics, the competition in certain fields(for example High Energy Theory) is very intense. Does anyone know how the situation is in the fields of mathematics. So, which areas of mathematics are the most difficult to get into for grad school ? I would be particularly interested to know how much funding there is for algebraic geometry or mathematical string theory and how difficult the competition for places could in these fields. Thank you
As far as I'm aware, everyone who gets into graduate school gets funding if your school is in the top 500 world wide. It might be more than that. I honestly haven't heard of someone getting offered a PhD and NOT getting funding. I also don't think the subjects reflect how much funding you get. I think that has more to do with what school you go to, what kind of research you're doing in the field, and who your supervisor is. I imagine Ravi Vakil's students researching something very interesting get more funding than someone going to Kentucky State doing some PDE stuff.

MathCat

Re: Funding in Math Grad schools

Post by MathCat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 am

Most places will have a TA stipend that is the same for any graduate student in the department who TAs. If your advisor has a big grant, they may be able to increase your funding beyond that amount (while you still TA), or pay you entirely out of their grant so that you do not have to TA. There's also the possibility of getting a fellowship yourself.