Non math major - Please help

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
AR

Non math major - Please help

Post by AR » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:48 am

Hi all,

I'm from a South Asian country and a BSc degree holder in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering. Mathematics has been my greatest passion but was forced to select Engineering as my undergraduate major due to job security concerns and many financial hardships at that time.But through out my undergrad days only thing I wanted to do was learning math. I had taken about 25 credits of math courses covering areas such as Real Analysis, Linear Algebra , Differential Equations, Calculus, Complex Analysis, Numerical Analysis , Discrete Mathematics etc. Even though my grades were generally good for these modules and has a GPA about 3.9 for them, due to the general dislike toward subjects in my major my overall GPA was just about 3.3 .

After the graduation , I though enough was enough and decided to follow my dreams and pursue a career in mathematics . Currently I'm working as a mathematics TA in my uni. Mainly through individual studies and reading courses I have strengthen my mathematics knowledge and was able to score 860(90%) in MGRE. Other test scores are also good (GRE general 320 , TOEFL 109) but from the things I have heard, I understand that test scores are not that important compared to upper level math courses and good grades in undergrad.

I would be thankful to know your opinion about my chances of getting into a math PhD program in a US university. (perhaps outside of top 70 or so). Perhaps if I can first get into a MS program it may bolster my chances of getting into a PhD degree program. I would be grateful if you can suggest me few such programs which will set up a good platform for me to get into a math PhD program.

verysweetjuices

Re: Non math major - Please help

Post by verysweetjuices » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:49 am

Apply to every school you want. Your application is stronger than many here.

AR

Post by AR » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:25 am

verysweetjuices wrote:Apply to every school you want. Your application is stronger than many here.
Thank you for the encouragement verysweetjuices :)

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:35 pm

AR wrote:
verysweetjuices wrote:Apply to every school you want. Your application is stronger than many here.
Thank you for the encouragement verysweetjuices :)
Anytime. And I'm serious. Your 90% and 320 total GRE are nothing to shirk at. Easily good enough for a top 70 school, probably good enough for a top 30 school. Why don't you try for UW Madison, UIUC, Stony Brook, Michigan, Indiana University, Ohio State, UVA, UCSD, UCSB, UCLA? All good state schools... some within closer reach than others, but I don't think any are really out of your reach.

If you want to do a MA or MSc first, consider Canada. All of our MSc programs are funded.

AR

Post by AR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:32 am

verysweetjuices wrote:
Anytime. And I'm serious. Your 90% and 320 total GRE are nothing to shirk at. Easily good enough for a top 70 school, probably good enough for a top 30 school. Why don't you try for UW Madison, UIUC, Stony Brook, Michigan, Indiana University, Ohio State, UVA, UCSD, UCSB, UCLA? All good state schools... some within closer reach than others, but I don't think any are really out of your reach.

If you want to do a MA or MSc first, consider Canada. All of our MSc programs are funded.
Thanks a lot verysweerjuices :D Really appreciated :D I am checking the programs you mentioned and some of them seem to consider MGRE with a very significant importance and that is great for me.

It's the overall GPA I'm worried about. That's why I was aiming for bit low earlier.

Funded MSc's in Canada is a great news. I'll definitely check those out. Again thanks a lot for the encouragement :) :)

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Yes, and remember that your personal statement can be used to explain your GPA and whatever else. In any case, you never know until you try. Good luck.

AR

Post by AR » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:Yes, and remember that your personal statement can be used to explain your GPA and whatever else. In any case, you never know until you try. Good luck.
Yes bro , that's true..you never know until you try :D
Thank you very much for your help and wish you all the best for your future endeavors too :)