*RE*-studying for the GRE

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
BCLC

*RE*-studying for the GRE

Post by BCLC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:07 am

How does one *RE*-study for the GRE? I took last Saturday and am planning to take again in April. I never studied group theory, abstract algebra or complex analysis and so am planning to study those. I'm not sure I can strengthen my calculus or linear algebra knowledge very significantly as I think I pretty much covered that in when studying for last October. I'll of course take some practice exams (I'll probably scrap together random numbers from practice exams if I really need more)

Any thoughts? What are you doing? What did you do? What did you hear others did?

solveit

Re: *RE*-studying for the GRE

Post by solveit » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:44 pm

I mostly did practice exams and just brushed up on minor details I had forgotten. I don't think actually learning lots of new material is doable in a short period of time.

danieloliveira56

Re: *RE*-studying for the GRE

Post by danieloliveira56 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 am

Something that I did from April to September was to use flashcards. I found myself forgetting basic Calculus stuff like calculating the area of a surface. So I made flashcards with theory as well as questions and revised them regularly.

I don't believe you can do very well without Abstract Algebra. Topology and Real Analysis may be ok to be neglected (I was aiming at 800, got 770 in September without studying it, waiting for October results). I am an Engineer, so those were the main subjects I have never studied. I studied Abstract Algebra from Artin (up to the second chapter only) and by the Cracking the GRE Subject Princeton Review book, this book is great but it falls very short on Ring Theory, which is important for the exam, it doesn't even mention Quotient Rings and mentions Ideals in an example exercise.